Vintage Mademoiselle

iluvjeisa

clever ain't wise
Reaction score
The mademoiselle mags didn't often have a lot of good eds, so here's a collection thread for the vintage covers and contents....

First, a April 1980 cover, unknown model (but she is familiar) and photographer.

mademoiselle_april_1980__unknown.jpg

Kim Alexis on the cover of Mademoiselle 1979. Two cute ads from this issue; Kim Alexis for Coty and Kelly Emberg for "le fit".

kim_alexis_coty_1979sm.jpg lefit_1979_kellyembergsm.jpg mademoiselle_august_1979__kim_alexis__cover.jpg

the model in the first post is Carol Alt:flower:I love the Coty ad!Are the 80's,90's considered vintage enough for this thread?I LOVED Mademoiselle in 1993.

Here's the December 1978 cover of Kelly Emberg photo by Patrick Demarchelier

Scanned by me from my collection.

mademoiselle1978decembe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss Mademoiselle so much. Thanks for the thread. I will try to contribute.

Naomi Campbell
ph.franky yarbrough
mademoiselle october 1988

naomicampbell-nc.com

Naomi Campbell
ph.Walter Chin
september 1988

From same issue:
Naomi,Kara Young,unknown,Gail O'Neil
ph.Edie Kohli

naomicampbell-nc.com

From the May 1961 issue:

Millie Motts on Flickr.com

There's well over 100 images from this issue on Millie Motts' Flickr page, so I chose a few of the best to avoid spamming this thread!

Some covers....

March 1991
Model: Greta Cavazzoni

April 1992
Model: Daniela Pestova

June 1987
Model: Estelle Lefebure

January 1997
Model: Niki Taylor

May 1993
Model: Janine Giddings

August 1993
Model: Kate Moss

October 1995
Model: Claudia Schiffer

December 1995
Model: Amber Valletta

December 1996
Model: Tasha Tilberg

bwgreyscale.com via archive.org

Milla Jovovich Covers
May 1988

December 1991

December 1992

December 2000

millaj

More covers...

January 1991
Model: Niki Taylor
Photographed by Paul Lange

February 1988
Model: Kersti Bowser
Photographed by Richard Avedon

March 1993
Models: Amber Valletta & Emma Balfour

June 1988
Model: Roberta Chirko

June 1993
Model: Amber Valletta

July 1988
Model: Rachel Hunter

bwgreyscale.com via archive.org

whatever happened to Mademoiselle?
they had some nice covers.

From fashion-iconography.net :

American Mademoiselle was last published by Conde Nast as a monthly. Mademoiselle has gone through several changes since the 1950's, keeping pace and in some cases, pushing, change with Feminism in the USA. For a long time, Mademoiselle had been the voice of women FOR women, often focusing on politics, health, and just about anything of interest to women. Basically, it was a Renaissance magazine that took itself seriously enough to gain recognition by literary writers, but also understood humour and the light-hearted side of women. Sylvia Plath got her start at Mlle with it's famous fiction contest, while writers Joyce Carol Oates, Peggy Noonan, and even Ray Bradbury used it as part of their start in public writing. IMO, Mlle would still have an audience if they had stuck to their guns with honest journalism that focused on being a well-rounded woman, not just a sexy man-pleaser. By changing their focus to more shallow topics, they insulted their readers and while that worked for other magazines (because they weren't too smart in the first place), Mademoiselle's legacy just wouldn't allow a dumbing down without the death of the magazine. In essence, they lost their legitimacy. Mademoiselle had been around since at least 1936.

I have a lot of the mid-90's issues, back when it only cost £1.95 as an import magazine!

A couple of covers...

May 1996
Model: Christy Turlington
Photographed by Michael Thompson

August 1990
Model: Claudia Schiffer
Photographed by Paul Lange

djuna.cine21.com/christy, Bellazon

thanksss amazing shot the first

I miss mademoiselle too. This was the first magazine I ever subscribed to when I was in junior high...I'm trying to track down issues from 1990-1993. I'll definitely scan and post if I find some. I've been feeling nostalgic! Does anyone have any more of the editorials scanned?

^ i have the most gorgeous robert erdmann/Georgina Grenville ed from mlle c.95 which i will post in the near future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->