Visible Panty Lines(aka Vpl) Fall 2004

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Dazed(?) stylist Victoria Bartlett's collection of medical infused 20's/30's and 40's inspired undergarmets. Like it lots. Reminds of A.F. Vandevorst and Carol Christian Poell.

I wish they'd do mens undergarments because I would definitely wear this kind of stuff. :flower:

Underwear as outerwear? Gaultier did it almost a generation ago, and did it better.

It's all so awkward and oddly proportioned. The colors are unsettling. Nigh on unwearable, too. I mean, it simply looks kind of indecent. This makes the decorative, exposed bra-strap fad of a couple of years ago look tasteful. Pantyhose tops are not beautiful, no matter who designed them.

You know, I can take awkward and bizarre if it is at least intrigueing, like some of Rei Kawakubo's early stuff, but I just can't get behind this. I certainly hope this doesn't become a mainstream trend!

This stuff looks non-flattering on models. I don't even want to think what it looks like on mere mortals.

Oh i lvoe VPL, its so intretsinga nd unique, the construction is quite cool.

veyr detailed in a way.

I can't imageing any body actuallyw earing this as udner wear, but soem of the tops cool be veryy cool, liekt he layered pleated one heart: :

To each their own,I suppose. I like that its a bit off and unique. Otherwise what would be the point? Blandness? Anyway,I like some of it. The underpants themselves are actually quite form-fitting.

Thanks Scott. I actually find this all quite interesting. I don't think it's meant to be worn out on the street. If people respect and like Galliano for creating unwearable clothes why not this?

I love this!
post-19-1076462928.jpg

I would totally wear this to bed or if in need, to 7-Eleven on a slurpee run. I think it's absolutely adorable.

I love it. :o

I'd wear the tops (bras excepted) as outerwear, the underpants as innerwear. The long john jumpsuit isn't really my thing.

I can't agree with you more,Mehg. And this is far more wearable than Galliano! :lol:

That jumpsuit is probably the most stree-wise(aside from the t'shirts)--you can put that on and wear it underneath a dress :wink:

here the review from wwd :flower:

VPL: At a time when so many have tolled the death knell for avant-garde fashion and the cult of plain-old-pretty rules the cool school, Victoria Bartlett and Jeffrey Costello’s underwear line VPL offers up a refreshing point of difference. The show began with a symbolic dissection: Models in T-shirts printed with a naked body took a pair of scissors to the front, slicing the top all the way down. The collection that followed continued in the same vein as seasons past, utilizing medical and athletic motifs to transform once-familiar garments into a dark-edged fashion statement.

However, VPL never fully crossed over to the dark side, existing in a sort of twilight. For starters, the layered soft cotton pieces were in beautiful colors: blushing nude, soft poppy red, milky gray and a green that reminds you of new grass on the sunniest day. Even when the fabrics were contorted, the effect was beautiful, not jarring. And the details — perforated rubber panels, inseams that unsnap like baby clothes and nude straps that bind the body under the arms and across the belly — only hinted at something sinister. However, now that Bartlett and Costello’s root idea has been fully realized for a couple of seasons, it would be interesting to see them take it further.

i have nothing against underwear collections by hyped stylists, BUT this doesnt help me questioning, what does this has to do with pret-a-porter or why did they gave them a slot during the uber tight NYFW calendar... there are many rising p-a-p designers desperate for a presentation during the official calendar, this interesting as it is, belongs to the intimate market shows :P

:yuk: :cry:
yes they are "different" in a way, but I find them ugly....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->