VMan #28 Winter 2012 : Joseph Dolce by Mario Sorrenti

Flashbang

Mr. Magic
Reaction score

OVER READY: Male models tend to get short shrift compared to their female counterparts, but VMan shines a spotlight on a batch of new faces each year. The magazine awards a cover to the winner of its annual VMan/Ford Models competition and this year’s winner is Joseph Dolce, a 22-year-old boxer from Oceanside, N.Y., who had never set foot in a photo studio before landing the prize. The cover, shot by Mario Sorrenti, hits newsstands next week. Previous winners and runners-up have scored campaigns with brands like Calvin Klein, Versace, Saint Laurent, Jil Sander and Uniqlo.

“We were hoping to do [a competition] that had true relevance in the fashion industry,” said Stephen Gan, editor in chief and creative director of VMan. “What a joy it is to see someone like Matt Terry’s face on a Calvin Klein billboard on Broadway and Houston, a few months after he’s discovered on a VMan cover.”

Only unsigned newcomers are eligible for the contest and the magazine receives several thousand entrants on vman.com and fordmodels.com each year.
wwd.com

Answering the headline: YES! B)

It's a good image, but I think the boring black on white text and background ruins it.

^ I agree, I just wished they used a more vibrant background

'BE HERE NOW'
Ph: Bjarne Jonasson
Styling: Zara Zachrisson

artlistparis.com

Great cover and Joseph looks great! Thanks, Flashbang, for the posts!

You're welcome! :flower:

ChronicKnowledge
, I don't think there's any subscriber cover for this magazine.. :D

Another preview

Facebook/VMAN

Time After Time
Photographer:
Sharif Hamza
Stylist: Tom van Dorpe
Models: Shaun Dewet, Brad Kroenig, Matt Terry, Mathias Lauridsen, Tyson Ballou, RJ Rogenski, David Agbodji, Simon Nessman, Sean O’ Pry, Clement Chabernaud & Alex Lundqvist
Grooming: Asami Taguchi
Hair: Mark Hampton

vman.com

Full ed:

VMAN #28
Photography: Mario Sorrenti
Models: Joseph Dolce, Wyatt Gemmer, Garrett Overbey, Jacob Bitzer, Danny Carr, Trey Miller

fordmodelsblog

Last edited by a moderator:
^It is not common for mens magazines to have a subscriber cover... I guess because mens fashion are not such in demand like the women's.
Full ed:

VMAN #28
Photography: Mario Sorrenti
Models: Joseph Dolce, Wyatt Gemmer, Garrett Overbey, Jacob Bitzer, Danny Carr, Trey Miller
fordmodelsblog
Clear images:

GARRETT

“Some people may view a certain piece of clothing as weird, or even ugly. However, to others it’s the most beautiful piece of art they’ve ever seen.”

DANNY

“I’ve had a passion for being a model ever since the fourth grade. People laughed at me back then, but I just knew it was my destiny to model at some point in my life.”

WYATT

“I love clothes and seeing the new trends every year. I’m excited to be able to meet the creative people who make the magic happen.”

JOE

“Fashion is powerful. It’s an art form. Being a model allows me to show my artistic side.”

JACOB

“It seems no matter what you do with fashion, you’re always meeting someone with a very interesting personality.”

TREY

“As Fyodor Dostoevsky said, ‘Beauty will save the world.’ Fashion has opened my eyes to the reality of a world much bigger and far more beautiful than the one I knew before.”
vman.com

A DAY IN THE LIFE

PHOTOGRAPHY Phillippe Vogelenzang
FASHION TOM VAN DORPE
TEXT MARTIN HAMERY

MEET JOE DOLCE, THIS YEAR’S VMAN & FORD MODEL SEARCH WINNER, AS HE SHOWS US AROUND HIS HOME TURF IN OCEANSIDE, NEW YORK

“Fashion is powerful. It’s an art form,” says model search winner Joseph “Joe” Dolce. A 22-year-old former dental equipment salesman, Dolce entered the model search hoping to find an opportunity to express himself creatively. “Being a model allows me to show my artistic side. I get to step out of my comfort zone and broaden my horizons.” Having just recently become interested in fashion, Dolce enjoys trends that hit close to home. “I really love the James Dean vibe. I was born and raised in Long Island, so I grew up on pinky rings and gel.”

Dolce lives in Oceanside, New York—“The Dirty O,” he calls it—a place where everyone knows everyone. His mother is a hairdresser in a neighboring town and his stepfather taught him how to play golf when he was 10, which he’s been passionate about ever since. Joe developed a penchant for individual sports because when you lose “there’s no one to blame but yourself.” Dolce spends much of his time with his two pit bulls, Bella and Maximus. “Pit bulls aren’t bad dogs,” he says. “They can be big mushes.”

Dolce reps his heritage by wearing a tattoo of his last name on his chest, and describes his Italian family as “big, loud, and ridiculous, with sauce every Sunday. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

CREDITS

PHOTOGRAPHY Phillippe Vogelenzang FASHION TOM VAN DORPE

Grooming Laura de Leon for Cutler/Redken (Joe Management) Model Joseph Dolce (Ford NY) photo assistant Emilio Garcia Hernandez Video Director Cycy Sanders stylist assistants Carrie Weidner, Pablo Marcus Bien, Fleur Hoogeveen Special thanks Martin Carvajal Carrie Weidner Assistant Director Adam Rossmann Styling Julien Alleyne Hair & Make up Rebecca Robles Special thanks to The Bowery House
vman.com

^ I swear from far away I thought it was Jon Kortajarena! But overall to me it's a weak issue

Ph: Kacper Kasprzyk
St: Jay Massacret

totalworld.us via wannabemodelbook

Time After Time
Photographer:
Sharif Hamza
Stylist: Tom van Dorpe
Models: Shaun Dewet, Brad Kroenig, Matt Terry, Mathias Lauridsen, Tyson Ballou, RJ Rogenski, David Agbodji, Simon Nessman, Sean O’ Pry, Clement Chabernaud & Alex Lundqvist
Grooming: Asami Taguchi
Hair: Mark Hampton
vman.com
HQs

issuu.com

'PARAGON'S: VMAN STYLE ICONS'

'THE SECOND COMING OF JOHN KRASINSKI'

Ph: Carlos Serrao
Styling: Hayley Atkin

issuu.com

'PRIME TIMERS'
Ph: Terry Tsiolis