Vogue Arabia December 2020 : The 'Saudi' Issue

Wow the first cover is gorgeous, however I think it would have been better without the shadow effect on the lower half of her face!

The first cover reminds me of 2005 Vogue Italia. Such stunning covers.

Though I wish they zoomed in more on the third cover

Cover #5 of 5 with Cindy Bruna by Tom Munro:

Lovely to see Cindy on a cover of Vogue as her brand of old-skool glam is usually overlooked these days for lesser presence. However, for an issue celebrating ME creatives, it’s a tad tone-deaf to not deliberately cast a Brown/ME face. Although for how properly conservative VA has shown themselves to be, Tom’s covershot of Cindy and Ashi is very much the strongest of the lot. The inaugural covershot of Gigi, followed by iman and Imann and this one are the most on-brand.

(I wish that Vogue Arabia— much like Vogue Japan, would be more proud of their own rather than allow global status (and profit) to dictate as to whom they cast for their covers. Japanese/Asians/ME/Brown presence are already swept aside and left out in Western Vogues, to also see them being rejected in their own Vogue just seems maddeningly hypocritical, more so now with this shallow "diversity and inclusivity" gimmick. [... I'll step off my soapbox now.])

Of course there’s more than one cover because the magazine is divided in 2: for the english speakers and for the arab ones. I don’t understand why people complain about it. Is almost necessary when a magazine needs to approach to 2 different audiences.

Based on the composition and the text placement, the second one is a foldout or the opening page of the issue.

I love all apart from the one with the designer and model which looks a little cheap. I agree that they would have had a Middle Eastern or even Saudi model (that's if the women there are allowed to model)

^^^ LOL The ME love their black and gold palette… As far as models: They can always cast and shoot in the western hemisphere. I’m sure the Saudi designer flew to London to shoot with Cindy and Tom— if he doesn't already have his own studio there.

Professional ME is much more modern-thinking than many would presume, with Qatar, Kuwait and UAE being the most progressive (as far as a theocratic state is able to be) of the ME countries, where women are in prominent professional roles and profiles. Women and LGBT activists aren’t going o be openly welcomed for the weekly protests in general, but amongst professionals, being openly gay isn’t going to equal a death warrant and being a women isn't doomed to a life of servitude.

Cindy Bruna's solo cover is pretty much everything I crave this time of year - and more. What a gorgeous and fabulously festive cover for December. The other four covers pale in comparison (perhaps with the exception of the first, which feels very Diana Vreeland and Richard Avedon).

The first cover is breathtaking. Looking forward to the eds

Txema once again proves why he should be doing so much more than Vogue Arabia and Numero eds!

What I would give for him to photograph for American/British Vogue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->