Vogue China December 2023 by Felix Cooper

Solid issue overall. Very moody (plus there's Vogue Film). Barely any articles and almost all editorials.

The print cover is unbelievably worse than I expected. With such zoomed out photo, it's super blurry to the point that Sherry Shi's face is unrecognizable. This is their worst cover this year for sure.

There’s far too much empty space with the first cover and the composition is awful but I kinda appreciate the magazine closing out 2023 with the next generation of Chinese models. I do find the solo covers to be somewhat better, especially the Sherry Shi and Wang Mengyao ones.

Angelica would have never produced this...

Yes… And Franca would never allowed whatever is trolling as present Vogue Italia near her Vogue; and Emmanuelle would have banned the midrange department-store flyer that’s become Vogue France… These are the days.

The cracks are spreading for Marge’s Vogue: An issue dedicated to the concept of artisans and their craft is a strong one. But the photographers totally fail in their presentation. And it’s not just the mandated Western reprints that gentrified a once distinctive POV. The OG stories lack direction. Like their Western counterparts, this new gen of photographers may have one— maybe two solid images, and the rest are banal, generic filler content. Rinse and repeat. And I can’t figure for the life of me why anyone would want to shoot or be drawn to Lila Moss: She’s as forgettably plain Jane as they come. With Kaia, that’s mini-Cindy right there— many times, she’s even stronger than her mum. Lila looks nothing like her mum at her prime— more like a young Ivanka Trump, and she’s just not striking at all physically, nor a Tim Burton creation odd-looking enough to stand out, like Lily McMenamy. But within the context of these mediocre days— where the likes of Hailey/Paloma/Gigi are Supers, why not another plain Jane… These are the days.

The one standout story is the designers feature of Olivier Theyskens, Jacque Wei, Erdem x Zhoing Zixin and Dolce & Gabbana by Echo Xiao. Unfortunate that there’s just a lone shot for each designer. But maybe it’s for the better since these new photographers usually can’t sustain an entire fashion story with solid shots.

Pages from VogueDecember2023-1.jpgPages from VogueDecember2023-3.jpgPages from VogueDecember2023-5.jpgPages from VogueDecember2023-7.jpgPages from VogueDecember2023-9.jpg
Vogue China Pages from VogueDecember2023-5.jpg

Yes… And Franca would never allowed whatever is trolling as present Vogue Italia near her Vogue; and Emmanuelle would have banned the midrange department-store flyer that’s become Vogue France… These are the days.

The cracks are spreading for Marge’s Vogue: An issue dedicated to the concept of artisans and their craft is a strong one. But the photographers totally fail in their presentation. And it’s not just the mandated Western reprints that gentrified a once distinctive POV. The OG stories lack direction. Like their Western counterparts, this new gen of photographers may have one— maybe two solid images, and the rest are banal, generic filler content. Rinse and repeat. And I can’t figure for the life of me why anyone would want to shoot or be drawn to Lila Moss: She’s as forgettably plain Jane as they come. With Kaia, that’s mini-Cindy right there— many times, she’s even stronger than her mum. Lila looks nothing like her mum at her prime— more like a young Ivanka Trump, and she’s just not striking at all physically, nor a Tim Burton creation odd-looking enough to stand out, like Lily McMenamy. But within the context of these mediocre days— where the likes of Hailey/Paloma/Gigi are Supers, why not another plain Jane… These are the days.

The one standout story is the designers feature of Olivier Theyskens, Jacque Wei, Erdem x Zhoing Zixin and Dolce & Gabbana by Echo Xiao. Unfortunate that there’s just a lone shot for each designer. But maybe it’s for the better since these new photographers usually can’t sustain an entire fashion story with solid shots.

View attachment 1242545View attachment 1242547View attachment 1242548View attachment 1242549View attachment 1242550
Vogue China View attachment 1242546

Absolutely adore these photos !!!! Superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->