Vogue China March 2022 : He Cong, Ma Yanli, Niu Yu & Xu Ruoxin by Nick Yang

Couldn’t see the image :(

Alright... there's a lot to unpack here, so let's try:

On one side I like the 60's retro vibes, the composition of the photo, the colors and yes it seems that we have the ''diverse'' cast and card for generation Z people and the progressive society. Having said all of this, to be it's pure gimmick and I'm not here for that.
On the other side I truthfully believe that there's a way to present a diverse cast, whether it's a skin color thing or gender thing or anything and everything in between these days that makes marketing and people feel included. And this is not ''this'' for me.

I do understand AND I am all really for including a wider scope of people and models and to have obviously this forever awkward conversation to have in advertising and magazines and on covers and so on. However these days, it's forced on us in a way that it not genuine. Every single movie you watch, every single cover we need to have it seems: an LGBTQ+ person, an asian person, a person of color, a person with something that is not the white straight blonde/caucasian type and of course I love that because this world is for everyone and everyone is allowed to live and to be where they want and how they want but my main question is: Can the world of advertising or/and fashion do that without trying to pull an agenda on us every single month?

I am definitely in favor of DIVERSITY and INCLUSION, which you all know here are the two key words of THIS CENTURY from now on but I want to see this diverse cast included normally everywhere else and not just on the ''ok let's do this ''special'' cover and include as many DIVERSE people as we can'' the same in movies now where genders are swapped and directors want to showcase every single color of the rainbow so to speak.

My friends and I keep having these never ending conversations about this theme, whether it's in the fashion world or outside as well. I repeat, I don't hate the movement but I want it to be shown in a more genuine way and not pushed to our throats this way coz here to me it's pure publicity stunt and easy instagram reactions' grab.

That is GORGEOUS! I couldn't fault that cover.

This is the only time I am not going to complain about the model sizes or disabilities, because this looks gorgeous and this is how this should be done every single time. This does not look phoned in, this actually looks sincere and authentic, like a truly modernized nod to the 60s of Chinese fashion when they were going all Western influenced.

If other efforts are not going to look like this - yes, I am going to sh*t on them every single time. The photography is outstanding, and so is the styling.

it’s like the new classic. Just sublime!!!! And I’m truly excited to see this celebration of the diversity. Vogue China is going strong and stronger.

Nick yang is sooo good ... always love his work.. one of my favourite chinese mainland Photographer :wub:

Technically, this is a bomb in the heart of Vogue aesthetics. No other edition can even dream of treating color, managing light, implementing a vision like Vogue China does, consistently. Because the real achievement here is, they do it every month. Everyone else's one-offs are Margaret Zhang's routine.

There is more, though. Something about Vogue China works at a subconscious level. I cannot always put my thoughts in words, or even understand why Zhang's Vogue destroys me every time. It is an irrational, visceral fascination. I feel I'm being re-educated.

I think it is rather brace but also smart timing to put a different representation on the magazine centered on beauty. I would not doubt that some people would have a field day with this. But the thing is Chinese beauty standard has always been rather diverse. During Tang Dynasty, curves are symbol of wealth and the standard of what is beautiful. With all the AI implemented in every selfie apps you can find in China none would make you look fat. It definitely serves a good reminder that people comes with different sizes and should be appreciated accordingly. (Of course that for me is not without effort to show the best side of the spectrum)

This is how you do diversity! You still have to make an effort to make it look like a fashion editorial. I’m so sick of the pedestrian way Anna has been showing us diversity. Her Vogue is hardly about the fashion and styling anymore.

For my information there should be an editorial with Evie Harris and Hannah Motler inside. Can anyone post please? :rolleyes::D

superb cover and editorial! absolutely amazing!

the cover shot could easily be a Dior campaign. IMAGINE!

definitely a must have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->