• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yupes

Reaction score
Vogue Continental - good or bad homogenizing idea? I'm still undecided.

assets...obytwo-5-3.jpg

Image Courtesy of Jezebel

Stylist Rosemary Kokuhilwa writes: "I think it's about time we have Vogue magazine in Africa." She's referring to images by Paris-based Cameroonian photographer Mario Epanya, which illustrate what Vogue Africa could look like. Kokuhilwa (who is from Tanzania) asserts that she loves the idea of having Vogue Africa represent the whole continent: "Maybe in some way this will help bring us together. A commenter agrees, writing: "A successful Vogue Africa would singlehandedly present Condé Nast with its biggest achievement to date, particularly in an economic environment where luxury and elite products/services are having to cater to a wider, more globally aware and dynamic market."

Acknowledging that women all over the continent are interested in fashion and beauty would be an interesting move. And as seen at Arise Africa Fashion Week, there's no shortage of talented designers on the continent, eager to showcase their unique points of view.

On the other hand: Lumping all the countries, cultures and perspectives in the African diaspora together in one Vogue — when countries like Italy, France, Germany, Russia and Spain each get their own — is potentially disastrous. And even if celebrating pan-African fashion works for a fashion show, an entire magazine could be a tricky task. One we're not sure Vogue is equipped to tackle.

Attachments

• 500x_vogueafricatwobytwo-5-3.jpg
    500x_vogueafricatwobytwo-5-3.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Bad idea, with good intentions behind it. Give South Africa a Vogue and overtime the other countries should follow. Look to Asia for the answer.

Bad, bad one! I agree LabelWhore4, South Africa is fit country with Vogue

This venture would open a new market, and expand local economies. I think any discussion of this venture should take this perspective into account

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->