Vogue Covers: 1910 to 1958

Nemova

-
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but, here we go.

I don't know if any of you have seen this before, or if anyone already posted it, but I found this incredible site with ALL Vogue covers from 1910 to 1958.

Condé Nast Art: Vogue Magazine

It's really worth taking a look.

wow. those are so much more beautiful than the present covers. vogue should revert :P
52131_l.jpg

53441_l.jpg

52103_l.jpg

thanks nemova :heart: :flower:

i wish publications were more about art than are now. it's so much photography and less art.

i guess the magazines can't afford to be subtle

I :heart: :P it's really interesting I like much the cover of April 1, 1927 and April 1, 1945 by Eugene Berman :blush:
Only small defect in this review, the fact that magazines are not in the chronological order but it is great to see the time disentangled at top speed thanks to Vogue Covers :P

I'd be over the moon if Vogue started using covers like this again. So beautiful.

Of course I'd be a lot happier, and probably would re-start my subscription, if Vogue's articles would be less cheezy. A LOT less cheezy. And if the article titles and the photo captions would be less precious and coy, well, then I'd have to bet they had largely got a new writing and editing staff.

Vogue these days is getting awfully lame. Too much celebrity kowtowing and gossip. Always the same handful of designers featured. Always the same overwrought, almost parody "luxe" photo spreads. Dimwitted socialite contributors like Plum Sykes and Marina Rust. All of the same over-used movie and literary references. So repetitive, so rarely inspired, so consistently mediocre. Sure, there are some beautiful clothes, but there's a whole lot of chaff surrounding them. Mostly, what clothes you actually do see are in the ads in between the articles.

id make sure that i sent a few sketches to the editor!
I love those covers though i prefer rel people(hey dont kill me)

Thanks Nemova! :flower:

I love Vogue magazine and enjoy looking at the old covers.

:woot:
so beautiful to look at.
I wish vogue would do a cover like this now.....
they'd definitely send some inspiration throughout the fashion world.

How I wish there were still magazines like this... I don't expect Vogue to revert, but out of all the fashion mags out there couldn't there be one sort of artsy and vintage? Le sigh.

Wow, what a beautiful collection!

You can actually play "guess the date" with the different cover styles :heart:

I agree with As You Like It: too many ads, too little to say. I get Vogue very. very. very. rarely. Or just read it when my mother buys it once in a blue moon :lol:

1) December 1st 1918, by artist Helen Dryden.

2) February 15th 1921.

3) March 15th 1933.

4) November 1925 by Eduardo Benito.

(all from ebay)

Vogue, May 15, 1941
vogue1ri7.png

Vogue Cover, 1947
86537255xy5.png

Vogue, New York, 1945
56343724em6.png

Vogue Cover, Autumn Fuchsia, 1957
44661847wf7.png