Vogue España August 2022 : Bella Hadid by Elizaveta Porodina

Condé Nast must be saving an absolute fortune with this shared content strategy. This is now the second consecutive month in which Vogue Spain has failed to produce an original cover story. I guess I should be just appreciative of the fact they opted for a new photograph from their chosen cover story.

I am irked, however, that Bella's head isn't placed directly between the O and the U of the Vogue masthead here. On the plus side, the colours are gorgeous and Porodina's photography once again resembles a work of art but that hair is atrocious and not even a chiselled face like Bella's can carry such an unflattering style.

Her recent work is clearly more commercial, with only the over-reliance on all the kaleidoscopic PS effects layers to enforce a trademark but comes off just flat and gimmicky. It’s verging on insufferable with this and the Zendaya shoot. She was much better when the styling and mood conjured the photography experimentation of Man Ray and the 1920s.

Bella is Bella. Never been fond of her, but she’s tolerable if I set my expectations low. And it’s more the fault of the editor rather than Bella and Elizaveta for the sickly-looking cover select. With all the digital work that’s gone into these images, you’d think a more flattering frame of Bella’s face would be easily replaced LOL

Maybe they were paying to tribute to Madonna and Peter…with unfortunate results…:

31tmag-lindbergh-slide-ktjf-superjumbo-600.jpg

Peter Lindbergh

Last edited:
Condé Nast must be saving an absolute fortune with this shared content strategy. This is now the second consecutive month in which Vogue Spain has failed to produce an original cover story. I guess I should be just appreciative of the fact they opted for a new photograph from their chosen cover story.

Exactly, you'd think the fact that they're saving an absolute fortune would be reflected in the quality of content we get. But I guess that money now goes somewhere else. I mean, this isn't the first time European editions are reprint-based. But it's sad to see how CN reversed all the hard work that went into building those editions from the ground up. Spanish Vogue used to be amazing, they had a beautiful layout and beautiful covers and now they get scraps. And what's even worse, they knocked down Italia and Paris as well - once the most fashionable of editions.
I guess you could find some light in the fact that they published previously unreleased images, but the entire situation is still pissing me off. I can only hope that with time, this situation will also end and all those various editions will start producing their own content again.

The cover is terrible. Bella looks like a friar in pink.

I think this magazine is dying. No big fashion brand ads in the july issue.

Exactly, you'd think the fact that they're saving an absolute fortune would be reflected in the quality of content we get. But I guess that money now goes somewhere else.

Shared content has led Vogue to commit the ultimate sin in fashion - becoming boring. Each and every month, we have literally 'seen it all before'.

Perhaps if Euro-Vogues are purchased by people with only a passing interest in fashion, a subscription to only one magazine, and without access to social media, this reprinted content might seem fresh, but for those who are deeply interested in fashion, and who are hungry for content, it isn't a great way to keep them enthralled.

Imagine a random person picking up a few different versions at a newsstand, flicking through them before buying, only to find out the main content is practically the same in all of them... the impression that Vogue is a premium product is gone. Evaporated. Everything that was built up over the decades...

And putting a different cover on the front of the same content, it feels like Conde Nast wants to cheat the reader into thinking the magazines are different - when they're not that different. Some people would feel that's a very sneaky way to sell your product. It really relies on the concept that the purchaser has no way to compare the product... in a world where everything is instantly online and people's interests transcend borders?

I don't think Porodina's work translates well for fashion magazines.
Some of her imagery is striking but this and the Vogue Italia work is under whelming.

I like both Bella and Elizaveta so I was expecting something decent but oh boy was I wrong, that cover is actually hideous

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhaoxx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->