Vogue Germany October 2009 : 30th Anniversary Issue

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
source | wwd.com

THEN WE TAKE BERLIN: German Vogue’s 30th anniversary issue spans a trio of 732-page volumes, each guest edited by a famous fashion personality with German roots: Karl Lagerfeld, Bruce Weber and Peter Lindbergh. “I thought it would be great to find some guest editors who have a relationship with our company,” said editor in chief Christiane Arp. Not to mention Germany itself, especially since Vogue’s anniversary coincides with the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the 60th anniversary of the Federal Republic of Germany. Arp said that Weber, while his name is typically German, is perhaps the most surprising contributor of the bunch. “Not so many people know Bruce’s grandparents emigrated from Stuttgart in the early 20th century,” she noted.

All three photographers took Berlin as the jumping-off point, with Weber shooting his stories in New York City and Montauk, N.Y., “with Berlin in his mind,” and Lagerfeld conjuring up the post-World War I period, Arp noted. Plenty of famous German personalities feature in the shoots, including Ute Lemper, Claudia Schiffer, Heidi Klum, Diane Kruger and Kirsten Dunst, whose father hails from Hamburg. Lagerfeld cast model Edita Vilkeviciute as Anita Berber, a dancer and actress whom he described as “the Kate Moss of Berlin in the Twenties,” while Schiffer channeled Rosemarie Nitribitt, a German call girl whose violent death caused a scandal in the Fifties. Weber reunited Margaret Lambert, the German high jumper who wasn’t allowed to compete at the 1936 Olympics because of her Jewish religion, with Karoline Herfurth, the actress who will portray her in the feature film “Berlin 36,” out this week in Germany. Lindbergh, meanwhile, contributed pictures of the city and portraits of such luminaries as Wim Wenders, Andreas Gursky and the late Pina Bausch. Arp opted for text covers in the colors of the German flag in lieu of photos.

Each issue carries 414 pages of advertising, versus 223 pages a year ago. Anticipating strong demand for the collectible issues, which will be unveiled Thursday, Arp said German Vogue plans to print 265,000 copies, versus a usual run of 200,000. Subscribers who have been with German Vogue from the very start, roughly 200 of them, will receive all three issues in a black linen box — and perhaps a pained look from their mailman.
Preview Images

Photographer: Peter Lindbergh

Photographer: Karl Lagerfeld

source | vogue.de via MissDalloway

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG this is so great I'll definitely get the Karl Lagerfeld one :buzz: :buzz: Thanks for posting, any review yet ?

I seem to remember the first issue of German Vogue was August 1979. But, I do believe the October issue was far more memorable, so good choice of month to celebrate :wink:

I still don't know which one I will choose : I love the three photographers ! but if the content is different for each, I probably won't choose one.

This looks great. I rarely get Vogue Germany (because I can't read german, so it seems like a bit of a waste of money) but I don't think I'll be able to resist this. I love me some Lindbergh, so if I get to choose, I'll take his edition. Ideally, I'd get the full 732 pages, but that could get expensive :(

Great to see Vogue Germany put some effort into ther anniversary! :smile:

I'm most interested in Weber and Lindbergh. B) Karl is so predictable in his casting, it's not even funny. Let me guess - Baptiste, Freja, Heidi, Baptiste, Edita, Sigrid, Baptiste, Toni and Chlaudia? And Baptiste of course .. :sick::yuk: Ah, well, he probably doesn't have many years left.

why can't karl keep his model-fetish to personal photos... he's not only shoving baptiste down our throats but he's also making him seem like a (publicly known) toy boy rather than a 'male muse'.
just compare freja's expression to baptiste's. it looks like she was posing while he casually stopped by to fix his hair...

Wow. It really has 3 editions?! :shock: And 700+ total? Wow! CONGRATS VOGUE GERMANY!!

I don't know which one to get Lindbergh or Lagerfeld? Lagerfeld probably has the better cast but his photography is worse than Lindberghs.

How I hate this already.

On the other hand Claudia as call girl sounds awesome and Edita as dancer makes sense as well the subscribers will get all of them? No there are more than 200 subscribers in Germany, right? Who are those selected ones?

It's very promising! (Such a shame that i'm not a subscriber...)

^^ I think the 200 are the ones that started and continued to subscribe for the last 30 years.

Is it 3 monster issues of 700+ pages or the three together that make 700+ pages?

I love the comment about the pained mailman.. for anyone who'll be buying all three editions I feel your arms are going to be hurting!

It's a great idea. One of this might be my first issue of German Vogue.
This and Australia's 50th Birthday make me really excited for British Vogue to have an aniversary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->