Vogue Germany September 2020 : Nicole Atieno by Stefan Heinrichs

Once again, as with UK Vogue, I'm just of the opinion that Vogue should stay out of social issues because they don't do it any justice. Their entire structure is not set up to deal with it nor are the people putting the magazine together.

I agree they’re ill-equipped to present social issues in a meaningful and sensitive way, while maintaining a focus on fashion. I think a more diverse team of editors and content creators will help with that, though. That’s why the truly well-meaning editors are putting some focus on diversifying the behind-the-scenes teams, rather than clout chasing, merely paying lip service to the issues.

Nicole is a great model and does not need flowers or any other props. Shame.

You know, it’s not about the model nor styling anymore: I’ve given up on a decent model or remotely competent stylist in these very mediocre and bland days, where publications are so desperate for the approval of the twitter mob (who aren’t buying these rags anyways) that these amateur shots now get a cover. And this is painfully, offensively and boringly amateur. It’s the sort of shot a 12yo girl would post on her SM for a few days and get bored of it quickly. Reminds me of the equally dull shot by another overhyped photographer who’s riding on the representation bus that shot Naomi— holding some flowers… which in turn reminds me of the a scene in Clueless where Cher gives Ty a flower and tells her to pose with it. This is the uncreative, amateur-hour and juvenile aesthetic Vogue has scraped to in 2020 :sigh:

The digital issue is out now if anyone cares. 262 pages.

(And let’s not even get into how lacking in any signs of technical skills this shot possesses: Not a single sign of lighting on her face. And LOL @such a sappy coverline that doesn’t even make any sense: …One hope??? I certainly hope not.. Looks like they got mixd up with the One Love LOOOL)

I really doubt Arp was sitting there in her (home) office laughing and thinking ''I screwed the black girl and hid her face behind the flowers''. If they are racists, they are racists on a much higher, corporate level.

No one is imputing this kind of narrative on Arp.

However, the fact that she's unaware of how problematic this cover was is the problem.

People were on the streets fighting for Black lives, Conde Nast supporting the black lives matter movement and promising to do better, while here's Arp, giving a Black model the September cover while wearing a coat that barely showed her skin, and holding flowers that hid her face. Self-defeating right?

You can't use your own magazine as a platform for change when you yourself are unaware of the problem. It's a vicious cycle.

Last edited:
No one is imputing this kind of narrative on Arp.

However, the fact that she's unaware of how problematic this cover was is the problem.

People were on the streets fighting for Black lives, Conde Nast supporting the black lives matter movement and promising to do better, while here's Arp, giving a Black model the September cover while wearing a coat that barely showed her skin, and holding flowers that hid her face. Self-defeating right?

You can't use your own magazine as a platform for change when you yourself are unaware of the problem. It's a vicious cycle.
Amen!!!

Reactions: MON
Vogue Germany September 2020

Lust For Life

Photographer: Stefan Heinrichs
Stylist: Nicola Knels, Maximilian Aufschnaiter
Hair: Chao Chenet
Makeup: Pep Gay
Cast: Nicole Atieno, Charlotte and Tini, Osiel and Maria, Patricia, Mike, Madeline Fischer, Cocono, Noah with Samuel and Sarah Swati, Ana, Cassandra, Hafid, Kati Nescher and Theo, Yuuki, Hannah Sprehe, Salif, Yu, Tara, Nadia, Lela, Mike, Juma, Karin, Marlon and Joshua, Dance Crew, Tegest, Antonia,

Vogue Germany Digital Edition

Last edited by a moderator:

En Vogue: Basics Reloaded

Photographer: Jens Utzt
Stylist: Yvonne Wigger
Hair & Makeup: Bianca Hartkopf
Cast: Eny Jaki

Beauty: Freispiel

Photographer: Steven Pan
Stylist: Celia Azoulay
Cast: ???

^LOL!

The actual coverstar gets 3 solo shots yet another model in the same edit gets more? Shameful!
Maybe @Armani would be able to ID the rest of the model cast.

Very confused by the whole main ed. It's about Munich, yet Nicole has absolutely nothing to do with Munich whatsoever, as far as I know? (As opposed to all the other people in the ed.) Can't help but think it might have been an afterthought?

I struggled to find an decent alternative for the cover. :ninja: Kati still has it as a model, I would love to see her back on the covers.

Good thing Germany is a first world country otherwise I wonder what we'd get...

No main editorial or anything substantial just a few weak shots considering how good she is in print? Someone at Vogue Germany must have beef with her because she's one of those blank canvas models that you can style in so many ways

gallery_model_ewoqI25l4Sg8.jpg

Supreme management

With such beautiful digital covers they still went with that floral mess?
Probably got the hope memo late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintnitelife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->