Vogue Hong Kong December 2021 : Lily Collins by Greg Swales

I have every reason not to, but against my best judgment, I like it. In a very counterintuitive way, I do. It is edition-appropriate: Vogue Hong Kong is a riddle I have not figured out yet, but one thing I know is that these covers (and the editorial, as previewed on Instagram) fit the profile. Thinking inside the box so strictly, it comes out as thinking outside the box.

Doing this to Lily feels wrong, but she takes the hit with charm and aplomb. No surprise there: she has pulled off some of the most atrocious styling jobs I have seen on TV, never once looking worn by the clothes, nor in costume. If someone can get out of this unscathed, it's her.

Kudos to Lily for being willing to play ball with magazines and conform to their vision, even if I don't like the results. She's not forcing the magazines to use her own stylist and adhere to a particular flattering image, like some of her contemporaries.

Also, I think Emily in Paris is bigger/more popular than many of us realize. I looked it up and it had been viewed 58 million households within the first 4 weeks of release last year, which likely means it picked up many more millions in the year+ since. Compare that to the roughly 3 million who watched Sex and the City when it was airing originally. I get that the comparison isn't necessarily fair, because Netflix is more accessible than HBO was, but even by Netflix standards, Emily is one of their best performing shows.

This is different...

Am in the minority that actually likes both covers, always loved this aesthetic and she is photogenic enough to pull it off.

THE WILD SIDE OF LILY COLLINS (HQ)
Photography: Greg Swales
Styling: Mariel Haenn
Hair: Gregory Russell
Make-up: Fiona Stiles
Model/Celebrity: Lily Collins

voguehk.com

Reactions: KoV
After finally seeing the entire spread in the HQ, I have to admit that my initial reaction to it was totally wrong and that I actually like the whole thing. A LOT. :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->