Vogue Italia June 2024 : Hunter Schafer by Ethan James Green

Not bad, although I wouldn’t mind a little break from her and Zendaya.

EJG isn't exactly the best when it comes to directing his models and subjects... Their gestures always embody "it's giving..." or "it's serving..." so it doesn't seem truly organic or dynamic, and in the end lacks much chemistry. With Dara's pointless "narration/commentary" on the edit's meaning, there's a lack of real engagement and intuition. Styling makes no sense too, but that's Dara for you.

I forget who said it, but the sentiment of posing or modelling for the viewer and not just the camera really needs to be pushed. So many edits now have the subject too aware that they're posing for the camera and not for the viewer at large. Or maybe they think they are, and falling short. Same goes for the styling; besides Dara and the few that think this is great, it has no real correlation to the edit, the magazine and people at large. It's all fluff. Amateur hour purely because the core of it is just pretty mediocre.

And having the cover next to Snejana's (and the other Italia covers) shows you the difference. Those models then were looking beyond the camera and really into you as a viewer, going beyond and grabbing your attention. Hunter's doesn't have that same engagement because it's just a moment of looking into the barrel and that's it. Disconnected and a full deer in the headlights.

^ all I get is the aftermath of ANTM/RuPaul/reality tv culture.. fashion for the non-educated, lowest common denominator that really needs to be guided through visuals like cattle, and told when to say 'wow..' and when to remain silent. I've never heard of this Dara person but these people have really cheapened the industry to the point it's almost embarrassing to say publicly that you have an interest for fashion. And don't get me started on the 'tO Be a WoMaN iS tO pErFoRm'... um, never met a woman who is performing just by existing, but met plenty of men convinced we are performing, but uh, sure, tell me more, and let's not get into how 'helpful' and encouraging that message is, esp for the kidz whose first exposure to fashion is this junk...

I find Hunter acceptable just because we have the same last name ( and it's spelled the correct German way, minus the ä umlaut ) but wtf is with this Dara person? Who talks like that? Someone clearly pretentious af.

I find Hunter acceptable just because we have the same last name ( and it's spelled the correct German way, minus the ä umlaut ) but wtf is with this Dara person? Who talks like that? Someone clearly pretentious af.
Don't get me started with her 'modelling' career lol, even more cringe :ninjas:

Dara is a fashion model and stylist. She works in the new Interview magazine. She's pretty nice, and has a very cool style. She always dress very chic. She and Mel were very kind to me on IG during the last three years, so nothing to say against both. I don't see with bad eyes the recreation of Meisel past work from 20 years ago. It's like it was going to happen at some point now. Franca's VI inspired lots of people over the years, and everything she has done with Meisel is now a classic material. Of course the result could be good or bad. I can't make an opinion without thinking how much this magazine affected my life (always in digital format, but thanks to the Archive I have seen almost everything) and the team involved in this project that always respected me and liked what I did. I don't hate these pictures, they look nice, not awful stuff. It's storytelling, something quite missed in fashion magazines since the shared content started.

while this is happening, all the Meisel material is being studied and reacreated, I can't stop going back and having a time of pure joy seeing again the vast work he made for Vogue Italia. It helped me a lot during horrible times, like the pandemic, my couple split or this knightmare I'm having now. The beauty of these pictures is timeless and gives the same satisfaction (or a new one) every time.

...what beauty do you all speak of? i'm so confused. this is a disjointed sharp elf with a deer caught in headlight look. what's striking is how unoriginal and incoherent (as well as pretentious) this joke of an editorial is.

everything about this is forced and inferior - a true parody of effortless, proficient take on true etherial bohemia. EJG needs to work on a signature that is more significant than being a lazy copy of a master. have some pride about your work.

you cannot fake talent be it the "model" in question, the "stylist" on set, or the "photographer" behind the lens. the standards of VI are so low it's not shocking anymore, it's borderline offensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojopupra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->