Vogue Japan July 2017 by Paolo Roversi

zzzyao76

Reaction score
Models: Anna Cleveland, Molly Bair & Georgia Horthworth

Oh dear lord. I really applaud them for doing something new but this doesn't work. An image like this shouldn't be accompanied by all that text (but this is Vogue Japan so that's inevitable). BUT THANK GOD it's not the rumoured cover with all those reality stars - real housewives' spawn.

I adore Roversi, but somehow, a lot of cover images he produces are more suitable for supplements than actual covers.

Wow, how did this end up so bad? As it is CDG doesn't get many Vogue Japan covers (I think their last one was with Rinko Kikuchi, which was perfection), so every time should really be an event. Everything is wrong here from start to finish - photography, art direction, styling and casting.

Vogue Japan's identity crisis can be so painful to watch at times.

The identity crisis is real. A for effort. But no.

wait so is the D&G gang thing a different month or is it not for a cover at all (hopefully)?

i like the casting although i don't think they're pulling the CDG off at all! the composition is really awkward, and the shot is zoomed out too far making the cover feel a little empty, which considering it's a VJ cover is saying something! I think this should have been last month's cover, so it could have benefited from the hype of the MET Gala.

Ugly, horrible, embarrassing.

It had the potential to be good but the art direction and especially the awful cast ruins it.

I think this should have been last month's cover, so it could have benefited from the hype of the MET Gala.

Especially considering their covers are released two months in advance! Not much business thinking went on here.

Oh, and maybe the D&G crowd just shot for a very long edit? Could be. A cover sounds a bit, ambitious.

one model would've been enough. but... i hate the cast. i hate everything about this, actually. poor roversi can't save this mess. geeez

I Really wouldn't hate it as much as others if the text wasn't literally everywhere. also the fact that they're off center is bothering me

Everything about this cover is ridiculous.

Thanks for trying, but the cover is a big no. Just randomly pick a pic from Linda's CDG editorial for their Spetember 2014 issue as a cover would be way better than this horrible mess with no identity.

Otherwise, VJ should really stick with Luigi & Iango.

I think it's actually one of the prettiest covers I've seem in a while :lol: :crush:.. the lighting and entire composition are veeery Marie Claire Nippon in the late 80s (w/ Kirsten Owen :heart:). I'll buy it the moment it hits stores even though the content will probably be garbage.

I'm glad to see Molly on the Vogue cover but still.. is awful!

The color-palette is gorgeous and classic Paolo… but the overall product resembles an Entertainment Weekly covershot for some new Tim Burton wreck instead of a Comme story.

I have no tolerance for that cartoon Anna so seeing her looking like a pregnant teen from the court of Louis XVl doesn’t help me warm to this either.

^ haha! I actually can't stand any of these three models (though the third one is unrecognizable to me..), I just love the old-school feel of this, including the positioning of the models and how overwhelmed they are in these volumes.. all odd for contemporary magazines but Roversi back in the day, Turbeville.. they made it so natural. I think that the weakest part of this is the fact that it is Comme and not Gigli (some of Roversi and Turbeville's best work imo), some aspects of the pieces here are very Gigli but the way they composed these pictures around these late 80s collections represented so well the far away culture, dream-like experiences.. which is obviously lost here because the CDG shows for this decade seem to be more brain than heart, and of course because it's super watered down considering it's a cover and it's for Vogue..

The amount of text usually bothers but somehow, I even enjoy it here. :rolleyes:

What an expected combination....CDG by Roversi is like Vuitton by Demarchelier/Weber: BORING! NEXT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->