Vogue Korea September 2016 : Bae Doona & Nicolas Ghesquière by Patrick Demarchelier

I like these covers, they both look good and the styling, lighting are working: of course it´s by Demarchelier. I would have preferred a top model but these images are appealing.

For the sake of regional variety, I appreciate they put an Asian/Korean actress on the cover of a Korean publication where it makes sense. Nicolas clearly made her an ambassador of his Vuitton aesthetic by dressing and seating her in the front row of his shows, so I find it a more than natural fit to see them (together) on the cover, dressed in Vuitton.

Nicolas looks sweet, the covers overall don't impress me, dark and gloomy.

So it's nowadays not enough to have the muse get the cover, the designer must accompany her as well? It's becoming a bit much, especially with Nicolas. Thought this would be more the style of Tisco or Olivier....

I do love the second cover! It's more marketing than art or fashion, because it sells you Vuitton's new image very implicitly. You have the clothes, the designer, Eiffel tower in the shadow, and a local muse.

I'm really tired of this collection and the almost oppressive branding of Louis Vuitton everywhere, everytime. And with Lea Seydoux being the face of their new perfume and Alicia for the resort...It will continue harder & harder.

I love Nicolas, he is always good to look at. Doona is maybe my favorite Nicolas's muse right now. She, most of all the others, has the attitude and the allure needed to wear his creations.

It's boring for September and it's still very boring the see the same cliches with the Eiffel tower...

..... and it's still very boring the see the same cliches with the Eiffel tower...

That's why I say, from a marketing perspective it was perfectly, if not a bit blatantly, captured. This is exactly how French fashion houses targeted the Chinese a few years ago. Only now it's Korea's turn.

And I agree with you, LV is getting far too aggressive with their marketing. Alicia Vikander wore LV on September Vanity Fair, and of course the brand took out the most fashion ad pages in that very issue.

I like the 1st cover better, she looks super tired on the 2nd + Nicolas on Vogue is boring now.

I am not impressed at all by these two covers and i start to dislike Nicolas Ghesquière. He is not better than Riccardo and Olivier. Everytime, he needs to appear on cover . Like Lola701 said, i am tired too of this collection.

Out of all the Vogue September covers this is hands down my favorite so far. Doona looks striking and gorgeous on the first cover and she looks amazing on the second cover as well.

I really could have done without Nicolas on the cover. He's pretty, but we didn't need him. I agree that Doona is probably the best muse for LV because she can wear the clothes the best and pretty much everyone else is so bland. LV is very Doona in a way.

Also, the first cover would have made a perfect January cover for US Vogue when Sens8 comes back on Netflix.

The second cover is lovely. The first one is too rigid for me.

Can you imagine if this trend of putting designers on the covers of magazines had been the rage back in 2000s, Galliano would have been literally everywhere. At least he would've been fun. These guys are so lifeless, they ruin pictures.

As much as I like Nicolas, I think he is just unnecessary here.

Corporate and lifeless.

I’ve always liked Nicolas— even more so after the Systems extensive interview that showed just how observant, intelligent he is as an individual. And I probably admired him more so with his appointment at Vuitton, since he knew to strategically design more commercial and showed how versatile he is as a designer.

But these covers— with his “muses”, I’m not buying at all. Just smacks of blatant corporate meddling. Designers with their muses on the covers of magazines can be great: Tom Ford’s always suited this concept well, even as model in his own campaigns. Then there’s Jason Wu… LOL It’s not for everyone. Nicolas is very handsome of course, but there’s absolutely no connection with these Vuitton ambassadors he’s appointed to shoot with. Friendly smile but it’s not warm or sincere. There’s more sincerity with Olivier and Kim.

And maybe it’s just the specific selection they’re pulling for these covers— whether it’s Selena or Doona here, but all I see is Gaultier’s S/S 91 collection “Rasta’ Adam & Eve”. Still, better that it’s Doona, who is way more convincing as a muse, than Selena.

I wanted to love this. I love Nicolas. I adore Doona on Sense8. Demarchelier takes great portraits. But this sucks. Her solo cover looks great but I find it boring and lazy. I mean this could have been shot from Louis Vuitton atelier. At least if you are buying a cover, make a great effort.

Nicolas is getting more Vogue covers than most models these days. I do like this, though. Doona fits the LV brand perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->