Vogue Poland December 2021 : Giedre Dukauskaite by Ina Lekiewicz

i like the composition of the first cover, not so sure about the closed eyes and smile....and i like the second cover and a supplement cover....

They can put Giedre on cereal boxes and I'm going to be ecstatic about it. As soon as she enters the chat, my objectivity goes out the window. Anything she's on, I'm in.

This nature-oriented cover trend is the inspiration I never knew I needed. I was indoctrinated in the beachy, dolled-up outdoors by Testino et al. The wildest nature to be found in Vogue is usually Hamish Bowles reporting on English gardens. It's oddly satisfying to see raw landscape under the Vogue masthead. Which looks sublime in steely silver here, by the way. Spectacular covers, both of them.

Beautiful covers, although i was hoping for something more festive for december.

^The joke being Zara campaigns are now done by Meisel/Baron/Templer

Zara-Spring-Summer-2021-Campaign10.jpg

fashiongonerogue.com

But this is 2021 and nothing seems to make sense in this Black Mirror of a timeline we’re living in :rofl:

The main campaigns are wonderful, yes! But most of the other shots on their site feauture models staring longingly at potted plants or of similar languidness.

She shouldn’t have smiled. Just a stare to the camera would have been so much more profound and poetic.

Cover #2 is speaking to my first impressions of fashion when I was a kid.. the Noa ads! :heart:.. pretty sure that was not the inspiration because.. who even remembers them? but major yes for me! I can almost hear This Mortal Coil by looking at it.

Cover #2 is speaking to my first impressions of fashion when I was a kid.. the Noa ads! :heart:.. pretty sure that was not the inspiration because.. who even remembers them? but major yes for me! I can almost hear This Mortal Coil by looking at it.
Love this commercial! Thanks for posting. Fragrance ads of the 90’s and early 00’s really were magical!

What I think is missing from this current “natural” aesthetic is any sense of wonder…the ad Mullet posted made me realize it. Now it’s always some miserable model out in nature wearing some Phoebe Philo Céline-esque get up, staring off into nothingness and we’re all supposed to be like “wow, so clean, so honest, so real.

There needs to be a little more fantasy, warmth and wonder injected into this aesthetic if it’s going to be carried on much longer. That’s what I get from the Noa ad.

^ yeah, I remember those commercials would come very late at night on tv, they were so short, sandwiched between the occasional infomercial and they just were so.. otherworldly and beautifully shot (the Levi's ads were so good!), unlike anything you would see at any other time.. so the impression lasted longer and no google added to the mystery of 'what the hell did I just watch..'.

I like the cover for the superficial and likely accidental references that speak to me on a more personal level but I agree the message is completely different.. this is about being relatable and yeah, 'real'.. 'just like you but.. do try being a bit more like me' lol... whereas the 90s/early 00s created parallel worlds and ignited the imagination and curiosity of people, not because marketing was kinder, it was just more about that type of encouragement.

The Noa ads did have a message of inviting the consumer to pursue the ethereal or serenity even in the midst of urban chaos (and so did the smell btw!) but it was about finding that in something above routine and mundanity, and not necessarily through embracing it because it may be insensitive or 'out of touch' not to. I think current creators struggle creating these worlds because they assume fantasy implies oblivion.. but imagination and fantasy are really some of the more natural, private activities humans nurture throughout their lives (how do you even envision the future otherwise!).. nothing to be apologetic for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lores
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->