Vogue Portugal December 2016 : Milla Jovovich by Frederico Martins

ChicSaks

Reaction score
14991428_1328285100524026_2772426207598754549_o.jpg

facebook vogue portugal

It's a beautiful picture but not sure it works as a cover... maybe if the text had been better? Not sure but I still like it. Very bipolar I know..

Horrendous typography aside, the cover is one of the best coming from Vogue Portugal. Milla looks good and I like the mood that is evoked from the photo.

^^^ The art of type seems hopelessly lost these days on any Vogue cover except for VP.

Decent enough shot as part of the edit. Definitely not cover-worthy with the distracting sleepy/high eyes. The tone of the shot is so lonely and desolate-- like she's just been abandoned, and now she's sitting on the floor of a dark and empty house... lost...

More Milla all the time, I'm loving this resurgence. How many covers has she had this year? The cover is not my favorite, but I applaud something different being attempted. Better this than the same trite crap we've seen from other editions

Indeed I love that she is coming back on Vogue covers like that :smile: I had no idea Vogue magazines were such big fans of the Resident Evil franchise ahahaa

Oh I love it!
December doesn't have to be red and green, it can be blue. It doesn't have to be festive, it can be melancholic too.

More Milla all the time, I'm loving this resurgence. How many covers has she had this year? The cover is not my favorite, but I applaud something different being attempted. Better this than the same trite crap we've seen from other editions
6 covers including this one

^actually 3 if don't count the multi covers.

I love Milla and I admire Vogue Portugal for doing something different from the usual, also thinking about last month's cover with Guinevere. I find this cover great, mostly because of Milla's ability to play a character, and even if the mood is strange and might be seen as sleepy, I think Milla is able to bring this image to life. It makes me wonder who is that woman? Why is she looking so lonely and melancholy? I like this cover and the way it differs from the usual.

It's less a magazine cover, and more the start of a story. It's as if I'm being invited to imagine a film. I don't know how well it would sell, but I like it.

It's less a magazine cover, and more the start of a story. It's as if I'm being invited to imagine a film. I don't know how well it would sell, but I like it.

You're quite right, it's intensely cinematic. I'd watch this film! I'm a sucker for melancholia, so the sadness doesn't bother me at all.

So glad Portuguese Vogue decided to go in this direction with their covers. I don't care that it's not perfect, the mere fact that they're trying is enough for me. Narrative-style covers shouldn't be exclusive to Vogue Italia and the indies. And more importantly, I'm looking at these photographers with new eyes now.

^^^ When you’re a brand as seeped into the high fashion parthenon as Vogue, “trying” is just not acceptable enough. Especially for a cover image. It’s passable— and full of cinematic potential for an edit, for sure. But the current fashion climate is all about mediocrity passing as something more…. so I suppose a tepid testshot like this is enough to get a pass for a cover these days cos it's trying to be cinematic...

Watching Tom Ford’s “Nocturnal Animals trailer, it’s the stuff of a master’s eye for layered imagery that flows so effortlessly. That’s the brand of standard we should all have for high fashion magazine covers and stories. And when I see something like this… sure it’s “trying”, but so are 1st-year design photography students’ works— and they’re not getting the covers of any Vogues.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see Milla! But for me this shot does not work as a Vogue cover.

Milla

Photography: Frederico Martins
Model: Milla Jovovich
Styling: Ana Campos
Hair: Vasco Freitas
Make-Up: Metha Gonthier

awake-smile.blogspot.fr

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member