Vogue Taiwan January 2022 : Peng Chang by Zhong Lin

Those are some of the most enthralling imageries to ever come out of today’s sad state of fashion. A very strong start for the new year.

The editorial is so strong & also the second cover. A few photos reminds me the editorial with Kristen McMenamy from Vogue Italia August 2010.

Amazing editorial too love the mood and the fact that its not just art but also pushes an important message.

To quote the Kaiser, personality begins where comparison ends. I don't think Asian Vogues even reference European magazines at all. A Vogue edition that is capable of this masterpiece has neither need nor inclination to abide by any standards or join any tradition whatsoever. The theme may be preexisting, but the execution is not a copy, or a token, or a fake. Art as interpretation is old as hermeneutics. No archival erudition can make these covers less glorious. Excellence can't be disputed in terms of originality, and the fact that from title to motifs Vogue Taiwan does not even try to cover its tracks here proves how strong this edition is. Like Joyce rewriting the Odissey and calling it Ulysses. I don't see this Vogue issue as a sequitur to anything. It compares to no one. I see it as a challenge to the canon.

Fantastic observation.

Vogue China/Vogue Taiwan and GQ China (…and to a certain degree, ELLE Taiwan) are keeping that brand of high fashion dream and illusion alive and kicking, no doubt. And as much as it is deserving of hype as a distinct creative direction that is all their own, they’ve clearly taken influence from the best of Vogues— from Diana/Avedon's to Anna/Annie’s, and infused it with a distinctively, uniquely Chinese sensibility that’s also heavily and expensively cinematic. Their creative teams are leaving everyone else in the dust in that respect; producing imagery that requires and demands creative research, advanced technical skills— and you know, hard work: A trinity of traits that Western creatives seem to avoid like a plague, while mostly relying on the diversity/inclusivity/representation crutch to make up for their lack of talent— and hard work, time and time again. And it’s why creativity in the West is diminishing: Standards are so low that Italian and French Vogues have so quickly become the discount bins of Vogues (thank you, Edward!).

And despite the efforts Chinese creatives are making, they’re not quite there yet: They can’t seem to produce a strong story from beginning to end. The cover selects are usually impressive, then the story unfolds to reveal maybe 2-3 more strong imagery, only to be rounded out by fillers. But, these covers are good. And clearly paving the way for a new aesthetic of high standards in the Vogue lexicon. If I’m particularly hopeful, this is the beginning of a new high standard of fashion imaginary.

(You know, it’s such an oddity that such creative force is coming from a region that is by all accounts— a conservative, military, and still officially a communist state which by principle, doesn’t endorse individual creativity. Hoping that these creatives will dare to challenge the status quo more and more, in time. And all the while, the Western Vogues have become so much more conservative, bland, dowdy, pedestrian and soullessly corporate— all the traits of communism.)

Fantastic observation.
You know, it’s such an oddity that such creative force is coming from a region that is by all accounts— a conservative, military, and still officially a communist state which by principle, doesn’t endorse individual creativity. Hoping that these creatives will dare to challenge the status quo more and more, in time. And all the while, the Western Vogues have become so much more conservative, bland, dowdy, pedestrian and soullessly corporate— all the traits of communism.
Chen Man had huge problem a few months ago due to her old work.

Chinese fashion photographer Chen Man apologizes for ‘unthoughtful’ work – SupChina

^^
Check Lang Jingshan. He was a pioneer of Chinese photography.
For example, for Leslie Zhang at university was fascinated by Shoji Ueda and Yoshihiko Ueda (Japanese).

Thanks for the article. Such a LOL damned you if do— and damned if you don’t scenario.

Chinese/Asian demographic have generally been much more hardened to faux-outrage, frankly. Unfortunately, there’s this new generation of Chinese whom have learned from their Western counterparts that to cry racism/sexism/discrimination at the slightest signs of any faux pas will get them more attention than if they just roll their eyes and laugh it off. Just like the dimwits of the Cultural Revolution, everything is offensive and derogatory nowadays to these kidz-- and must be cancelled.

The “slanted-eye” accusations are hilarious: Had anime-style eyes been the only chosen characteristic of the casting of Chinese/Asian models, then there would no doubt be cries of faux-outrage of unrealistic stereotypes of Asian physical features. The frank fact that Chinese/Asians do possess both “big” eyes, as well as “slanted” eyes, and that Chen has cast individuals with ’slanted” eyes for a fashion imagery, is much a do about nothing. …The “sinister” association of the Dior model with the “slanted” eyes accusations is hilariously and (hopefully) unintentionally self-discriminating of its Chinese accusers. It's a high fashion imagery-- not National Geographic LOOOL God, stop listening to the American SJW dimwits.

(And I don't even like Chen's work.)

Damn It's so nice, I love it. I know it's not commercial enough, but I'm sure there's clothes ed in the issue and ads :rofl::rofl:
Bravo Vouge Taiwan, and I love how they collabarate with Taiwanese University. It's more than a commercial magazine, but a magazine with their own POV and promoting their creativity.

For those of you who are wondering why is there ANOTHER sustainability/environmental issue, the explanation (i.e. the excerpt from Vogue Taiwan's site, published in February last year) follows. Sadly, Vogue Taiwan seems to belong to a rare minority that consistently adheres to, and most importantly, shows in action Condé Nast Group's global commitment to take action to support climate action, announced in 2019.

vogue.com.tw

For those of you who are wondering why is there ANOTHER sustainability/environmental issue, the explanation (i.e. the excerpt from Vogue Taiwan's site, published in February last year) follows. Sadly, Vogue Taiwan seems to belong to a rare minority that consistently adheres to, and most importantly, shows in action Condé Nast Group's global commitment to take action to support climate action, announced in 2019.

vogue.com.tw

Interesting information, thank you so much, @Zorka! :flower:

Rather than an editorial, "Awakening Call" is pure dramatization of fashion. A performance. Every image different in styling and mood, a theatrical mise-en-scène in ten acts. Clothes recontextualized are clothes reborn. Sublime.

Happy New Year to all my precious fellow members and our even more precious mods/TFS staff members! :heart: May this 2022 bring us a lot of memorable fashion magazines/editorials and let's not forget how: "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.".

P.S. My special thanks goes to our dear @Hafyiez wafa, who proved themself, time and time again, as a proper maven when it comes to identifying fashion models and photographers. :flower:

HEAT WAVE (HQ, Proper colours)
Photography: Zhong Lin
Styling: Joey Lin
Hair: Miley Shen
Make-up: Sting Hsieh
Model: Peng Chang

vogue.com.tw

These are otherworldly!!! BEAUTIFUL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members