W Magazine Volume #2 2019 : The 'Director's Cut' Issue

What’s happening????

Tonchi should just quit.

At this point, he is just making a mockery of himself and of this magazine.

History won’t be kind to Stefano’s legacy (or the lack thereof). Instead of leaving with those gorgeous I&V New Royals portraits, you bury them with these consistent trash.

Also, I don’t get the strategy. Why destroy the magazine instead of publishing a formidable magazine worthy of saving? I mean does he honestly think that he can lure investors with these covers?? If he can’t even lure readers, what more investors.

They also released an "insta-zine" with Dylan Sprouse and Barbara Palvin on the cover

Lanthimos might be a good director, but definitely not a good photographer

There are 3 more covers:

Yalitza Aparicio by Alfonso Cuarón (photographed in Mexico/US frontier)
Angela Bassett by Spike Lee
Bel Powley by Marielle Heller

Yorgos Lanthimos has worked with Juergen Teller before and I feel like he's just directly - if ineffectively - ripping off his style.

April is still a few months away but oh well.

I absolutely loathe these covers with directors playing fashion photographers. But the 4th one looks promising.
As an editorial, Alfonso's shoot is really strong and the message very powerful (I've seen some of the shots), but not as a cover.

And God, can Emma Stone catch a break? I know, unlike Lupita, she's actually in a nominated film, but I get the feeling it's she's always getting all the coverage because she's the easiest to package to the public. That, and LV.

Lupita's in a nominated film as well, "Black Panther"

How boring. Emma Stone is overexposed. I want to see fresh faces or models. I feel like we’re in a cycle of repetition. It’s the same celebrities for every magazine just shuffled. It really is time for Models to make a combeback.

I don't like Emma I think she is a terrible actress but I love these photos! I love this snapshot aesthetic, It is executed really well.

Yes, gor crying out loud, Emma Stone's PR give us a break! SIGH!

So sick of her on covers, even though i enjoy her as a an actress.

But wow, all of this is just sad, funny, and not in the satirical take Tonchi meant it to be!

The 4th cover is the only thing that middle resembles what W once was.. I miss old W :(

I got the Bel Powley by Marilee Heller cover in the mail today.

Review:
168 pages of boring content.

In the front amongst other advertisers, there’s a really luxe Burberry ad. Simple and beige, but thick glossy stock. I love things like this.

Director’s Cut
Gone To The Dogs
Suburban life can make anyone barking mad. Just ask Emma Stone.
Director/photographer: Yorgos Lanthimos
Stylist: Sara Moonves
Hair: Mara Roszak
Makeup: Rachel Goodwin
Manicure: Emi Kudo
Star: Emma Stone

No Barriers
A year ago, Yalitza Aparicio was preparing to start her life as a preschool teacher in Oaxaca, Mexico. Today, the Oscar-nominated star of Roma is dismantling stereotypes and making it very clear that nothing can stand in her way.
Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Photographer: Carlos Somonte
Stylist: Valentina Collado
Hair: Manuel Oliva
Makeup: Mónica Godínez
Manicure: Luisa Pérez Paz
Star: Yalitza Aparicio

Survival Mode
Bel Powley proves that sometimes you have to go it alone.
Director: Marielle Heller
Photographer: Collier Schorr
Stylist: Elin Svahn
Hair: Bob Recine
Makeup: Diane Kendal
Manicure: Natalie Pavloski
Star: Bel Powley

American Icon
Angela Bassett revisits memorable images from the past century- with a decidedly contemporary twist.
Director: Spike Lee
Photographer: LaToya Ruby Frazier
Stylist: Ruth E. Carter
Hair: Randy Stodghill
Makeup: D’Andre Michael
Manicure: Ashley V. Williams
Star: Angela Bassett

There’s a feature on Marni’s Francesco Risso, photographed by Walter Pfeiffer and styled by Sara Moonves.

There’s a feature on Rachel Rose, a video artist.

And then there’s The High Life, 16 pages
Spring fashion that rises to any occasion.
Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Grace Coddington
Hair: Orlando Pita
Makeup: Francelle Daly
Model: Rianne van Rompaey

If it weren’t for Rianne, I would’ve thrown this in the trash, but she + McDean + Grace saved this issue.

I got my issue in the mail yesterday, I got the Yalitza Aparicio cover. I was surprised to find I really enjoyed all 4 of the editorials, even though I thought the covers were rubbish. As directors they know how to tell a story but not necessarily how to take a create a singular standout image for a magazine cover. Emma's is better in print than I feared it would be. There are so many photos in her editorial that it eventually just comes together and creates a mood. The end effect is suitably, weirdly off/disturbing, which seems to be Yorgos Lanthimos' MO. Yalitza's is lovely, warm, dreamy. Not groundbreaking, but there is a political/social angle that works. Angela Bassett's editorial reminds me of her "American Horror Story: Coven" character, and that's not a bad thing. Bel's cover is the strongest but her editorial was the weakest. No bad images, it just didn't stand out to me in any way, felt really conventional.

No Barriers

Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Photographer: Carlos Somonte
Stylist: Valentina Collado
Hair: Manuel Oliva
Makeup: Mónica Godínez
Manicure: Luisa Pérez Paz
Cast: Yalitza Aparicio

W Magazine Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads