What Are You Reading?

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

Was recommended to me by a fellow The Secret History fan. So far, so good.

Just got Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington. Going to start reading it, I’m so excited!!
I adored this book when I read it earlier this year! There are definitely a few people on this forum who really like this book too. :flower:

I'm in the middle of a few books right now: Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle, Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, Charlotte Higgins' The New Noise, and Nella Larsen's Quicksand.

Gotta celebrate the month of Halloween, so I'm starting Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe tonight. I've also never read Frankenstein, so that's next. I'm a sucker for any sort of 'folly of man' theme so I'm sure I'll love it! :ninja:

Picked up from the neighborhood free-book kiosk:

Tina Brown: The Vanity Fair Diaries. I’ve only skimmed a few pages so far, and I’m loving it so far. Now I wish I w
ould’ve paid more attention to her VF when she was there.

Alice Walker: The Color Purple. All my favorite lines from the movie were pulled from the book. This, I love.

And from Amazon, Mariah Carey: The Meaning of Mariah. I’m a lamb, and I’m not afraid to admit that.

Tina Brown: The Vanity Fair Diaries. I’ve only skimmed a few pages so far, and I’m loving it so far. Now I wish I would’ve paid more attention to her VF when she was there.
Oh. She was there until ‘92, when I was 12. Der, George.

And from Amazon, Mariah Carey: The Meaning of Mariah. I’m a lamb, and I’m not afraid to admit that.
Her book seems interesting. Mariah had kind of an off phase for a bit, but I saw her on the Daily Show recently and she was great, really likeable and well spoken.

Her book seems interesting. Mariah had kind of an off phase for a bit, but I saw her on the Daily Show recently and she was great, really likeable and well spoken.
Oh, I totally find her likeable. I feel like she tends to get a little campy at times for publicity reasons, which isn't necessary, but she seems to have fun w/ her image, so more power to her.

I recently saw her on Stephen Colbert's show, and she seemed to conduct her interview with her "good side" on display. For pictures, by all means, pose with your good side showing (I know I do), but for a virtual interview on a late-night talk-show? That seemed a little laughable, IMO.

^Her antics suit her somehow. On the Daily Show she had a fan on so her hair would blow around flatteringly... :lol: I don't know, she can do ridiculous things and it isn't annoying to me. It's part of who she is and she backs it up with more substantive qualities.

^^Was it a fan, or was it a gaggle of assistants blowing wind in her direction with drinking straws?

I don’t mind her antics either. After all, she’s a pop star, not a politician.

For our anniversary, my boyfriend gave me “Memories” by Grace Coddington. I started it last friday and I’m about to finish it. I can’t stop laughing with her stories. Also there’s a chapter dedicated to Liz Tilberis, I couldn’t stop crying.

just ordered a copy of this:

XD1112.jpg

shop.pbs.org

random3.png
book3.png

bookdepository.com

Last edited:
Hidden Valley Road-- good lord, what an incredibly dysfunctional family even if you remove mental illness from the picture. :shock: Also, this book made me want to hug a bunch of scientists.

I'm reading Margaret Kennedy's Where Stands a Winged Sentry, which is very interesting. It was a memoir by an English author that was originally written and published during WWII for American readers. It was published by an English publisher for the first time in March 2021.

I'm reading Margaret Kennedy's Where Stands a Winged Sentry, which is very interesting. It was a memoir by an English author that was originally written and published during WWII for American readers. It was published by an English publisher for the first time in March 2021.

Adding this to my interlibrary loan list. I wonder why it was never published in the UK.

Interesting to read this review of the original edition
Book Reviews, Sites, Romance, Fantasy, Fiction | Kirkus Reviews

Adding this to my interlibrary loan list. I wonder why it was never published in the UK.

Interesting to read this review of the original edition
Book Reviews, Sites, Romance, Fantasy, Fiction | Kirkus Reviews
Just finished the book. I deliberately avoided reading any reviews until I had finished it! It was really interesting and well-written.

Interestingly enough, the book itself was clearly geared towards American readers. That said, there were certainly talks about publishing it in the UK during the War, but this wasn't done ultimately, because the wartime situation was changing so quickly. I'm not sure why the book wasn't published in the UK after the War though.

I'm now reading Benazir Bhutto's Reconciliation.

I'm reading "Gay Bar: Why We Went Out" by Jeremy Atherton Lin.

It's about one mans treks through the different bars and clubs in the gay community (always seen safe-spaces), but it's also about the history of queer culture and how that shapes our experiences in said spaces. Fun, light reading, if LGBT history is your thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->