What do you think of custom made dress sites?

vivian123

Reaction score
What do you girls think of custom made dress sites?? has anyone had experiences with these online companies? Would love to hear about it ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried it yourself?
I'm curious too
I wonder how they make sure it fits you

I have talked with clients who go to tailors --it isn't done online though. They have to make an appointment in person. They do the measurements and then there is a fitting and a second fitting appointment, especially for more complicated suit jackets

I'm guessing that you measure yourself and send them to the company. It seems like a good idea.

You would have to know how to measure yourself properly
and may even need someone else to do it for you.

It changes like for example if you've had breast enlargement.. the procedure is a slightly different.

You would have to know how to measure yourself properly
and may even need someone else to do it for you.

Yes. I wouldn't trust an online site that takes the client's word for measurements. It's a specific procedure, and each tailor likes to do things slightly differently. Taste also comes into it.

i know you can order custom made shirts online too (b&b does it !!!!)

but i think it means you already have to a tailor for sur-mesure shirt and exactly know your measures !

gius is right ! how would you know what AND how measure yourself when you've never seen/done it before ?

i don't trust this s*** !
except if it's for a very simple skirt/dress

next is custom made shoes online ? if it happens one day NEVER try this !!!

Lots of different factors here.

For a lot of items, measurements are fairly easy, and as long as you are in the ballpark, it is no problem.

Other items, it can be a completely different story, as well as not only depends on who the person measuring is (and please... it really helps to have someone else measure), but also depends on who is doing the cutting and construction of material.

Next big part comes into play, what if any fit guarantee comes into play? If the item arrives, does not fit right, who is responsible for making it right as well as who covers shipping as well is there a point where it is decided it is just not worth it.

Body awareness also comes into play. With custom pieces it is easy to try and pattern one piece to different measurements but it just does not work. Especially for fitted garments, there are definitely certain lines that come into play and if the proportion ratios shift too much, the look just is never there.

I personally have seen some custom pieces take four months to get completely resolved satisfactory. In many ways, off the rack and having a solid tailor to really fit the piece is far better.

As for custom shoes online, there used to be a great company out of England I believe who did do this, but they send out molds to be made first before doing any work. Ferragamo I think also does or used to do foot molding as well and I can remember watching an interview and they were showing their store of "famous feet" which they would use to custom make their orders over the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next big part comes into play, what if any fit guarantee comes into play? If the item arrives, does not fit right, who is responsible for making it right as well as who covers shipping as well is there a point where it is decided it is just not worth it.

Body awareness also comes into play. With custom pieces it is easy to try and pattern one piece to different measurements but it just does not work. Especially for fitted garments, there are definitely certain lines that come into play and if the proportion ratios shift too much, the look just is never there.

I personally have seen some custom pieces take four months to get completely resolved satisfactory. In many ways, off the rack and having a solid tailor to really fit the piece is far better.

Just an idea though
In her younger days my instructor used to only work for individual clients, and sometimes she never measured them but instead asked for a garment they owned, of which the fit they really liked. And she would just copy that

I agree even if you have the person's measurements, it doesn't ensure the garment will look good on them because the whole thing is based on proportion and using your eyes to judge what looks best to the person's figure.

Just an idea though
In her younger days my instructor used to only work for individual clients, and sometimes she never measured them but instead asked for a garment they owned, of which the fit they really liked. And she would just copy that

I agree even if you have the person's measurements, it doesn't ensure the garment will look good on them because the whole thing is based on proportion and using your eyes to judge what looks best to the person's figure.

EXCELLENT POST.

That is so true. I am trying to remember a site I came across in the last 6 months that did custom leather pants exactly by the method you describe. They even had a little app that you used to "build your pants". You picked the color, the type of skin, the type of hardware, color of the hardware, pockets and even color and style of stitching.

They even offered to "copy jeans". You send your favorite jeans in and they would then measure and try to replicate the fit of those.

i have worked with customers from the web and i always send them the instructions with pictures of how they should take their measurements i also ask for a full body recent picture so i can have an extra insight of how the person really looks like and other things to take in mind like the curvature of the back, etc it always depends on the type of clothing im making. i also talk to them about the ocasion to wear it or the place, cause most of the time they request dresses for parties or weddings. we then discuss about fabrics, colors and shapes. i havent had a problem yet.

how has the feedback been from your clients?^
Thanks so much for the insight, daniellat

so far its been all good. once you get the notion of working with different types of bodies you learn to do certain tricks so your clothes fit the best.

For example, sometimes in cocktail dresses i add an elasticized part on the back in a very discrete way to make sure the dress wont be too big for her or to give her more "room".

some other times i tweak the design a little bit on the clients "problem areas" to find a way the dress will fit but it all depends on the design and the fabrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->