What does "played out" really mean?

tangerine

Soviet Camaro
Reaction score
We have all had the feeling, I'm sure. The day when you can no longer wear a certain item or style because it's "played out." But what does this really mean?

Recently someone asked me whether they should buy a particular pair of Puma sneakers, or a particular pair of Adidas. Without hesitation I advocated the Adidas. He wanted to know why.

Part of me wanted to say, "Speedcats are played out." But the truth is, the Adidas in question are probably nearly equally popular, as are the Vans and Converse that I favor myself.

So it's not really the number of pairs on the street; it's who is wearing them.

To me, Speedcats have been picked up by a demographic I don't identify with, where Cons and Vans (and Sambas) are being worn by people I identify with more closely, so I don't mind that other people are wearing them.

What do you all think? Is this how you decide when something is played out? Or do you have different criteria?

Played out to me means completely overexposed by (forgive me) the wrong people. Yes, Puma Speedcats, while cute, are completely played out. While the equally popular Adidas Samba isn't played out simply because of the people who own them. I identify closer w/ a Samba owner versus a Speedcat owner (namely b/c I dont wear Kappa tracksuits)

Played out to me is something like the LV Pochette or the Murakami bags. Something that goes down to the biggest groupings of the masses and all of a sudden everyone is doing it.

Great topic tangerine. To me being played out doesn't necessarily mean by the wrong people. I think 'overexposed' is the best word to use. To me, it's just something that is overexposed plain and simple. If I like it enough, I will continue to wear it, but something can be played out by anyone - chavs, hipsters, yuppies, pre-teens. whoever.

I agree tangerine.

On a personal level, if I refer to a item as 'over-played' it is usually because a demographic other than my own has picked up on the trend and begun applying it to their own. It becomes less credible.

On a social level, as snobbish as this may sound, 'over-played' often refers to when a high fashion article (mirrored by a high price) is watered down (as is the price) and becomes available to a less affluent public.

The only real paradox to this is thrift store shopping, but that just confuses things!

But what is credibility in fashion? I don't get all this 'wrong people' business. So if a TON of hipsters/indie people were wearing something it's still alright?

for example:

i remember when a friend of mine would say "i love being the only one at a party wearing skinny jeans." that sentiment is now defunct because skinny jeans are everywhere.

Meg said:
But what is credibility in fashion? I don't get all this 'wrong people' business. So if a TON of hipsters/indie people were wearing something it's still alright?

use your imagination, i'm sure you can think up a few valid scenarios.

I do tend to be aware of the notion of something being 'played out' be it by chavs, hipsters, scenesters or what not.... for me, it's just a crowd of people and overexposure is overexposure whoever is doing the exposing.

that is exactly my point susie. Obviously, people feel the way they do. I can't sit here and say 'surely you don't feel that way!' but I think the scenario you describe is more of a desire to be original than NOT to wear something that is played out.

Meg said:

When I think of "credibility" in this context, I think of people wearing an Andy Warhol/Velvet Underground banana t-shirt, but maybe not ever having listened to the record, and maybe not even knowing that it exists.

I used to feel I had something in common with people I would see wearing that shirt, but now it just looks trendy to me (unless the wearer is also wearing some other, more "credible" pieces.)

of course, I'll still use the banana for an avatar... :ninja:

tangerine said:
When I think of "credibility" in this context, I think of people wearing an Andy Warhol/Velvet Underground banana t-shirt, but maybe not ever having listened to the record, and maybe not even knowing that it exists.

I used to feel I had something in common with people I would see wearing that shirt, but now it just looks trendy to me (unless the wearer is also wearing some other, more "credible" pieces.)

of course, I'll still use the banana for an avatar... :ninja:

Yeah, this is totally how i feel.

Available in Topshop now are Rolling Stones t-shirts, and daily I'll see girls walking the streets with the logo emblazoned across their chests and I doubt a single one of them has heard a note of Angie, Paint It Black, Satisfation, Brown Sugar...etc

I'm a fan, but I wouldn't wear one of these t-shirts, because they are 'overplayed.' I wouldn't want people to place me in the same category as what I would refer to as a wannabe.

loubylou said:
Yeah, this is totally how i feel.

Available in Topshop now are Rolling Stones t-shirts, and daily I'll see girls walking the streets with the logo emblazoned across their chests and I doubt a single one of them has heard a note of Angie, Paint It Black, Satisfation, Brown Sugar...etc

I'm a fan, but I wouldn't wear one of these t-shirts, because they are 'overplayed.' I wouldn't want people to place me in the same category as what I would refer to as a wannabe.

Hmm, Manchester... reminds me of another overexposed graphic, by the great Peter Saville...

unknown-pleasures-sm.jpg

projects.c505.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking, Manchester is excellent in terms of creativity and individuality, as I have mentioned in other threads, I take far more inspiration from the girls and boys i pass in the streets than I do the celebs on hollywood boulevard.

I think everywhere you go, and especially where there are young age groups, there will always be an influx of a trend which began fashionably, but became tired (see also LEGGINGS!)

good topic, tang. :heart:

It's always black and white for me, one part of my closet doesnt mind being 'played out' at all. the other part...contestants for trendy stuff i admit...is not meant to be mirrored by anyone in town :lol: ...if i see someone wearing something that *i thought* made me felt special...I'll throw it in the back of my closet and the idea of wearing it again will never cross by my mind...that, of course, after giving them the look of death. :lol: :rolleyes: :P

tangerine said:
Hmm, Manchester... reminds me of another overexposed graphic, by the great Peter Saville...

projects.c505.com

Now you mention Joy Division, you're forgeting another "played out" graphic -The Smith's album covers!!

Then there's the Sex Pistols 'Never Mind the B******s' and anything by The Who/The Clash/The Jam/AC/DC etc...

Hmm... very interesting read...

Can I have my cake and eat it too? :P

I see both arguments...
and I think I lead towards demographics :ninja:

For example, I have real difficulty wearing white framed or largely oversized sunglasses.
Not because they are 'played out' here in a volume sense (at least not in my neck of the woods!)..
but because I always associate those items with Paris and Nicole!
Neither of which I aspire to be like.. or want anyone thinking I do :lol:

Like curious I can see both arguments but at the end of the day, I just love fashion too much to be authentic to every piece of clothing I wear. Of course, when you love a band and their music, you don't want to see someone walking around wearing their tshirt because it's 'cool' when they don't know the band at all . But by the same token, the fashion world just offers SO much that how can one be true to absolutely every item of clothing they wear? Even though everyone and their mother has worn leggings, I still see someone on the street wearing them in completely original ways that seem to resonate with their personal style. So at the end of the day, I would say, whether or not something is played out should not matter so much as what you are wearing chimes in with your aesthetic. I love wearing Amish dresses (actually it's one dress that is slightly too big for me and has an empire waist line so it's quite amish child looking but its at the tailor now getting fixed) or other times dressing quite conservatively because I enjoy it. Does it really matter if one item I'm wearing has been worn by dozens of others as long as it fits in with the 'Meg' picture? Something else might be unique to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karolys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->