What does "played out" really mean?

Good points Meg. :flower:

I think some of it depends on the item in question: a Velvets t-shirt, big white-framed sunglasses and Puma Speedcats are all fairly "loud" and attention-grabbing items that tend to "drive" a look. Leggings are a big category and lend themselves better to being a subtle part of a look.

On the other hand, the subtlety and style of the wearer can indeed take commonly-seen and even visually powerful items and blend them into a unique statement; people who are able to do this are truly admirable in my eyes.

Loubylou said I take far more inspiration from the girls and boys i pass in the streets than I do the celebs on hollywood boulevard. I find this is true for me, too; I get my best ideas from people I see around me. Some of them wear trendy items, but in a way that makes it look like they invented them. I try to decipher how they do this but usually I am mystified and envious. :lol:

haha tang, me too. I'm walking around thinking - why can't I dress like that?

I don't mean to say I'm totally absent from not wearing something because someone else has worn it but I have an obsession about whether anything is 'fresh'. Thats my go to word when i'm shopping. Does this feel fresh? Which I do think is different than played out.

Urban outfitters are selling those Joy Division tees. Makes me so mad because I know I want one but it's overpriced for a band-tee and so 'trendy'. Takes away the whole band-tee idea. :(

I agree with you all on the band t-shirts thing! It's hard to tell these days if the person actually listens to the band on the shirt they're wearing; I'm afraid I might even be writing people off as "scenesters/hipsters" although they might actually be a true fan.

I just wanted to mention another example of a played out item: the Bella Freud "Gingsberg is god" sweater/jumper. I saw someone wearing one(probably a knockoff; it was a limited edition, right?). Anyway, I started talking to her and she didn't even know who Allen Ginsberg was! And yet she was wearing a shirt declaring that he is god! Ugh.

good thread.
i feel something is played out if i'd reconsider wearing it for fear of looking brain-washed/brain-dead

over exposed=boring/played out...

*causes the urge to look for something new=interesting...

For all the above reasons, I much prefer to go vintage.

Although vintage can occassionally look overdone, if its not coupled with an abundance of oversized sunglasses, messenger bags and leggings it can actually look pretty original.

I think that everyone is entitled to wear what they want, but I must admit that I would pre-judge someone as a 'victim' if I spotted them kitted out in the latest trends.

My favourite phrase: 'jeez, looks like topshop threw up on them...'

don't agree with the Topshop thing. Yes, it is the most popular shop for girls but people assume that everyone looks the same just if you buy something from there. I never look at someone on the street and think 'oh shes all topshop'. The stock turnover there is huuuge so things never stay in the shop for long. Also, for all the different Topshop stores in London, they never seem to have most of the same stock as another Topshop store. I buy a lot from Topshop but no way do I look the same as everyone else. I think it depends on what you buy from there. Go for things that not everyone would wear or buy basic staples- that's what I tend to do.

Alexandra8715 said:
don't agree with the Topshop thing. Yes, it is the most popular shop for girls but people assume that everyone looks the same just if you buy something from there. I never look at someone on the street and think 'oh shes all topshop'. The stock turnover there is huuuge so things never stay in the shop for long. Also, for all the different Topshop stores in London, they never seem to have most of the same stock as another Topshop store. I buy a lot from Topshop but no way do I look the same as everyone else. I think it depends on what you buy from there. Go for things that not everyone would wear or buy basic staples- that's what I tend to do.

That pretty much confirms my point?

I shop in topshop, but I prefer not to buy the things that are too obviously topshop, or too safe. Prime example, today I saw a girl wearing a 'Frankie Says Relax' tee (from topshop), a demin mini and leggings. Now, to me she looked like a your typical 'safe' topshop shopper.

Your own shopping experience is as experimental as you chose to make it, I was merely making the point that there are those people who can walk out of topshop with a bag full of clothes which are on trend, but very contrived.

To me something is played out when you see it in more then 5 magazines, and you can see several people wearing it off all ages on a daily basis .. not orginal anymore.

Curious said:
Hmm... very interesting read...

Can I have my cake and eat it too? :P

I see both arguments...
and I think I lead towards demographics :ninja:

For example, I have real difficulty wearing white framed or largely oversized sunglasses.
Not because they are 'played out' here in a volume sense (at least not in my neck of the woods!)..
but because I always associate those items with Paris and Nicole!
Neither of which I aspire to be like.. or want anyone thinking I do :lol:

I agree with you, but I think that celebrities are kind of in everyone's "neck of the woods" because they are in the magazines in the stores we shop at, on the televisions that are in our homes, on the internet etc etc. Anyways, to me something is "played out" when I put it on and am ashamed to think that the people who see me will think I've copied someone else. In order for that to happen the look in question has to be on some overexposed celebrity, or the masses. Maybe this is insecure, and maybe I should dress more for my own enjoyment, but I'm not enjoying wearing something I don't feel comfortable in, so I'm not enjoying wearing something I think will cause other people to judge me. :innocent:

For me, the most played out thing is the Chloe paddington at the moment-mine is resting in the closet until the hype is over

Basically, when that item you're wearing just isn't unique anymore. Since the whole world seems to be wearing it...haha :innocent:

Seems kind of like the supreme expression of snobbery to me. But then I wouldn't want to look stupid...

PrinceOfCats said:
Seems kind of like the supreme expression of snobbery to me. But then I wouldn't want to look stupid...
Haha, no I agree with that too. Although I will admit I hate it when things I own get "played out." :innocent: Takes away all the fun in it!!!

When I start thinking 'If I see one more person wearing that, I will strangle them for lack of imagination!'

it means that the idea has really caught on and is common in the general population, and therefore the fashion people, who aspire to be ahead of the pack- must move on to something else

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookbabe001
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->