What Happened To That House/designer?

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Erzébeth, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Erzébeth

Erzébeth New Member

i thought vionnet was supposed to show at the most recent couture shows? and what about jacques fath ready to wear? :unsure:

2. ultramarine

ultramarine chaos reigns

I just visited the Vionnet -official- site ... they launched a line of scarves and bags ... no news under the "Couture" section yet ...

3. Erzébeth

Erzébeth New Member

oh ok. there were some articles from reputable sources about vionnet's foray into clothes though.. and i was looking forward to it :(

4. keepsmiling

keepsmiling New Member

I remember hearing that too. :think:

5. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

I think Vionnet would be a difficult house to revive as far as couture goes, simply because Vionnet is a name synonymous with a certain era, a certain type of clothing, a certain look, and a certain construction technique.

When you say Vionnet, I automatically think of slinky, bias-cut crepe column dresses from the early 1930s. I know Madeline Vionnet worked in the 1920s and maybe in the early '40s as well, but her best and most famous work was in the 1930s. Her greatest successes were in afternoon and evening dresses; semiformals were her greatest strength, though she did put out a few truly stunning, show-stopping ball gowns.

There is too much history, too much weight behind the Vionnet name. Anything that didn't adhere pretty strictly to Madeline Vionnet's original style would seem almost a sacrelege, but fashion thrives on the new. If a talented designer could rifff off of the old designs and bring them up to the 21st century, it would be marvelous and cool, but I have a hard time imagining it happen.

I think Fath could pull a Balenciaga. They were two somewhat similar houses back in their day, and I think the experimental, achitectural, artistic approach could be revived for Fath. Back in the day, Fath's designs were more wearable than Balenciaga, and I think it would be appropriate to revive Fath in a similar vein; fairly avant garde, but not completely removed from the reality of human bodies and daily wear.

6. kit

kit New Member

JACQUES FATH was relaunched , with Lizzy Disney as designer , by the group run by the ex-Richmont group ( CHLOE ) CEO , but was NOT a success and seems to have disappeared from sight .

7. kit

kit New Member

PS

Mounir Mouffrage is the name of the Jacques Fath CEO .

KIT :innocent:

8. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

i think maurizio pecoraro was supposed to take over the design chair at Vionnet and yes, they were supposed to show this season but maybe there is a problem there.
    (there must be an older thread on the Vionnet/Pecoraro colaboration right here at FS)

maybe i should apply for the post myself :p
    i'd really love to work for them :blush:

PS lizzie was quite bad for Fath (i also adore old Fath)

9. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Go Lena! :woot:

10. Erzébeth

Erzébeth New Member

so would i! B)
    although i would probably not do a great job at it :innocent: :lol:

vionnet definitely is a 30s icon, but i'm sure it's possible to turn the house right around (like dior, but not like that :p .. maybe like lanvin) i like revivals..

i'm really sad to hear that jacques fath has disappeared :cry:

11. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

erzèbeth, you are so right on Vionnet's potential to become like Lanvin, even though whoever needs to 'compete' with Elbaz must be a real brave designer.

:blush: ahh imagine, thanks for the support ingi..
    well i could just mail them some older work.. nothing to lose there why not,
    their site is very cute, they seem quite open to collaborators :ninja:

btw i hate what the house of mme Grès has become.. too much hype and no substance from them :(

12. Erzébeth

Erzébeth New Member

compete with elbaz? pfft! piece of cake!

heh just kidding. but i'd say there is plenty of room for more contemporary designers with their own visions at french houses.

and just go for it lena, it could change your life!

13. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i saw that gres collection for spring...i was all excited..but that didn't last ...once i saw the 'collection'...were they serious...it looked like a school project... :yuk:

i really had high hopes for that...it's a name with so much history... :heart:

14. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

:rofl: absolutely, a student project by someone wearing a huge Nicolas G. badge :innocent:

ps. its official : i cant spell :cry:

15. kit

kit New Member

Isn't it KOJI TATSUNO , who used to be considered the coming thing , who is designing for GRES ?

KIT :unsure:

16. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

positive he's an asian designer, not sure its Koji Tatsuno or Junko Shimada or someone else :unsure:

17. Wenxin

Wenxin New Member

Where has Jens Laugesen gone?