What's It Worth? : The High Price of Designer Fashion

I would think it would be cheaper to hire your own tailor/seamstress to make bespoke clothing than to buy brand name luxury items. You would not only be guaranteed a truly one-of-a-kind look, but you could be assured of quality work. Awhile back, I read a blog of an ex-pat teacher who worked in Thailand, and she reported that if you made even a little more money than most people, it was expected that you pay someone to sew your clothing for you. Kind of like what I've heard about Brazil, where everyone has a maid/housekeeper, including those who work as maids and housekeepers.

I suppose if it's all about the label sewn into it, this just won't do. But if the quality of mass luxury goes down while the prices go up, I can see smaller designers and ateliers who design strictly for a local and limited clientele drawing more business. There are loads of local designers and tailors everywhere who aren't looking to rule the entire world of high fashion.

^ It's good to see Kanye speaking out about something so truly important. What will his next issue be, I wonder? :unsure: I think it should be something to do with floral prints.

when I see some woman walking down the street, their outfit are completely honest because they have just dressed in 'designer' gear. i personally believe fashion, and being 'fashionable' is about styling what you have! I think its fair if you want to buy yourself something special, like a chanel bag, something your going to keep for a life time. but people who are constantly purchasing new season designer clothing, i just feel bad for them because I feel many of them are just self concious about their personal style and are trying to compensate for the fact that they cant style themselves! I know that's a bit of a generalization and their are people who aren't like that, but it does seem a bit ridiculous!

P.S awesome forum!

I'm going to throw my two cents into this.
I think we all know that designer items are generally "overpriced", but we like them anyway. Some stuff is worth it, some is definitely not worth it. For example, I would rather spend $400 on an AllSaints jacket(not a cheap store by any means, either) than $400 on a thin, cotton tee from Dolce with an image I can find on google.
That being said, I am the first to admit I like wearing designer clothing. I like wearing labels I'm a big fan of. I work retail part time, so I don't have an abundance of cash to spend on luxury items. I don't own anything terribly expensive.(my most expensive pieces are probably a Versace collection sweater and Dsquared shoes. Both of which were gifts.)
I don't really like to shop at places like h&m etc either. I feel that EVERYONE shops there and everyone looks the same. I don't really like to dress like others.
I tend to seek out good sales.
Most recently, I managed to pick up a John Varvatos USA peace polo for 30$. Usually 100$. And a Billy Reid polo for the same price.
I generally like clothing from labels like John Varvatos, Diesel, Allsaints etc. still pretty pricey sometimes, but more affordable.
I've splurged on stuff Solely for the name, as I'm sure a lot of people have. Im aware that it's basically just for the name, but honestly...sometimes it just makes you feel good to wear whatever designer piece. No matter how small. I recently paid over $50 on a pair of Versace underwear. Are they any different than most underwear? No. In fact, they're not even the best pair I own, but I love wearing them. I'm a big versace fan and can't really afford their stuff, so it makes me feel good to own a little something from them.
I think if it makes you feel good and you're not hurting anyone(or yourself, financially) then by all means, go buy that over priced shirt. As long as you're aware that it's the styling that matters and not the name. Wearing designer labels does not automatically make you "fashionable".
I also think it's a great thing to mix high and lower priced brands.
AND don't be turned off by gender marketing. Just because youre a man, doesn't mean you can't buy something that is geared toward women. Find it in a size that fits you, and own it. It's your life. Your clothes.

^ That is actually the perfect post. Thanks for that - it was a good read!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->