What's the Best Fashion Magazines for Men?

veggie4life

Reaction score
Hi!

I hope this is in the right section :-s

Anyways I was just wondering what you delightfull people thought were the best fashion magazines for men too buy as there are so many with a quite frankly feeble mens section !

Thanks for your help
Tyler xx

I personally vote Esquire- not only is it fashion foward, but the articles are intelligent, good reads. I've often wished there was something like it in women's magazines, but have so far found nothing. :crush:

Seems like the best eds are always in VMan, Numero Homme, and Arena Homme.:heart:^_^

I adore
The NY Times T Style Magazine Men's Fashion:
the only downside is it sometimes gets really stiff & boring (they make models waxed-up),
but I still like it anyways haa, :smile::D

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for allyour reccomendations. Now I just neede to figure out where I would source some of these magazines here in the UK :-s

Hercules is a great magazine for pictures
Gentleman Korea has great layouts
Vogue Hombre is right on point for the trends

I so miss Vogue Hommes Japan you have no idea :cry: I just hope one day to see another great men's magazine with great articles, cool columns, super edgy high fashion editorials and real beauty advice.

I really like looking through the magazines 'Man About Town' and 'Man of the World'- the quality of the paper is beautiful, and so are the editorials and articles. I know here in Australia each issue is quite pricey though!

My favourites are VMan, Numéro Homme, Hercules, Hero, Details, The Fashionisto and Fashion For Men.
Also worth checking out, in my opinion, are Fantastic Man, Another Man, Vogue Hommes International, 10 Men and Man Anout Town.

If you are into vintages magazines I suggest you check out old issues of L'Uomo Vogue (before Franca Sozzani).

thank you for allyour reccomendations. Now I just neede to figure out where I would source some of these magazines here in the UK :-s

Where do you live? I'm sure there's somewhere you can pick up most of them near you. Usually it's the smaller independent newsagents rather than the big chains - WHSmith etc - that have the best selection of alternative and international magazines.

I personally think Arena Homme + is a load of pretentious tripe and the actual fashion related content is so minimal. I always think Wonderland delivers good menswear coverage.

I buy all the biannuals and I have a subscription for Esquire UK and Details magazine.
The only biannual that I actually keep and collect is Hercules. All the others are disposable.

Arena Homme+: For 2 years now its a crap. The new editorial team, with editor known by no one before, made it a wannabe magazine with 40something pages of David Sims editorials (waste of paper). Just have a look on the newstands..

Fantastic Man: Nice layout, but now it's boring. It's for 30-40 something man, who are interested in art and fashion. Simple editorials with wearable clothes, and actually they are one of the only man's biannual, who has advices on how to wear and what to wear.

Another Man: It's coming from the Dazed & Confused office, so the editorials are indie-fashionish sometimes. However the editorials are good, made by well known photographers and stylists. They show people who are or will be on trend in the actual season. Shame that every second issue is a little bit boring. They make very nice covers.

GQ Style (UK:( Commercial crap. It used to be good, but since it's commercial rebranding 3-4 seasons ago, it's just like it's monthly brother: full of promotions (wilkinson and beer..), and the editorials are boring.

Numero Homme: I always buy it flip it through and put it on the self. Nice editorials, but it's too avant-garde for me. The editorials are full of key runway clothes. Nice covers though.

VMAN: It became twice a yearly magazine from 2013. They never miss with the editorials. They have one of the biggest budget in the man's magazine market. You can always find at least 2 well known photographers. Bruce Weber is a resident. Inez & Vinoodh, Mario Sorrenti etc. Nice articles about current faces of the pop-culture.

10Men: Always the same. every issue feels, that you've seen it somewhere. They use the same editorials ideas in each issue (4 times a year). Avant garde magazine, with one or two nice articles, but usually just buy it and forget the whole in the afternoon.

Hercules Universal: The best of all. The only that I actually keep, and collect. Really good paper quality. They rebranded it 2 years ago. Since then, they always choose a country as inspiration. If you like to travel, and you have money to spend on those watches and clothes that they feature. This is definitely for you. It's have a 10£ price tag witch is a lot more expensive that the others (6£).

V Man: consistently the best editorials on the market.

Another Man: great editorials and amazing features, articles/essays. The writing is always phenomenal.

The best in term of casting: Dazed & Confused.
The best in term of visual: Hercules Universal, Fantastic Man & VMAN.

Speaking purely about the quality of the editorials, Hercules is indeed peerless at the moment, though I agree with Bertrando; I miss Vogue Homme Japan.

Numéro Homme is probably a close second for me, well ahead of the rest of the pack. They put a LOT of editorial content into their issues and they do make fairly regular use of some excellent photographers. Some of my favourite shoots from Matthias Vriens have been published there.

I'm actually not a huge fan of V Man; I loved their editorials a few years ago but, like the women's magazine, it's become a bit more celebrity focused.

10 Men is quite fun and has more of an alternative edge if you're after that sort of thing. Essential Homme also has some very nice editorials from time to time although the quality of the paper they use is quite low. Then there are some others that I check out occasionally: Fashionisto, Fantastic Man, Seventh Man, AnOther Man, Vogue Hommes International.

It might also be worth having a peek at some of the magazines that cover both men's and women's fashion: Dazed & Confused, Dansk, i-D, Zoo.

If you're in the UK, my suggestion would be to go somewhere more urban and have a browse through the newsagencies. If it's anything like Australia, most places will be happy to order magazines in for you as well so long as you buy at least one issue.

Best of luck!

I usually don't care about men's magazine
but there is one magazine that i like and enjoy, it's HERO magazine
I think biannual Men's magazine is better and more interesting than monthly men's magazine

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that (at least here in the U.S.) GQ, Details, and Esquire are generally crap. I do like the balance between more commercial and edgy looks in Essential Homme (not sure if it's available internationally though. I really have yet to find a men's fashion magazine that really speaks to my tastes though.

I find that (at least here in the U.S.) GQ, Details, and Esquire are generally crap. I do like the balance between more commercial and edgy looks in Essential Homme (not sure if it's available internationally though. I really have yet to find a men's fashion magazine that really speaks to my tastes though.

I know what you mean, between the american ones (that sell crappy ideas of editorials and don't bother being creative and stay very safe and commercial in their approach) + overly sexual images of girls, cigars and cars, annoying subjects, music and fitness articles) and the too edgy ones that only showcase art exhibits and crazy styled fashion editorials, well what's one to do? :P

Here's the thing for me though:

* VMan, Numero Homme, and Arena Homme = they have GREAT covers but then it's all tiresome inside, the editorials don't live up to their covers, the articles are lame and the layouts are not exciting. Age target? 16-24 perhaps.

* GQ, Details, and Esquire = very american in their approach lol it's always 'too much' and too many advertisements and it's super commercial and not interesting enough for the eye and the styling is beyond passé. Age target? 25-45 maybe.

* The NYT' Style, Man about town and 10 Men = I don't know, I don't get their hype nor their readers' target, I guess it's for the 30-40 something guy who likes art, classic style?

* Dazed & Confused, Fantastic man and GQ Style (UK, Germany, Russia etc.) they are expensive, they show great fashion but their layouts don't do it for me, they are a bit too elitist too in their cover stars or articles' themes.

* L'Officiel hommes, Vogue Hommes International and L'Uomo Vogue = they are great some months and very boring for the rest of the year, they have so much money it's funny that they don't hire better photographers or stylists, their models and stars are exciting but articles and contents are not.

* Hercules, Gentleman Korea and Vogue Hombre are short in terms of pages but convey an emotion with their pictures, the articles are on point, it's cool but they need to refine their stars' selection and should provide beauty articles for men.

* Upstreet, DT and Hero = they are quite cool and understand their readers I think, they also bring it in terms of layouts and editorial ideas, I wish they would provide deeper interviews though and make more exciting videos.

What about the international editions of GQ or Harper's Bazaar man? or Essential Homme?

My favorites to this day remain:

Vogue Hommes Japan, Harper's Bazaar Man Korea and Apollo Novo. If you guys can't find your fav magazine, you can try mine héhé :lol:

Latley I draw interest in mans fashion magazines. My favorites are
GQ Style Germany, Fantastic Man and Hercules. I am more into biannual magazines. All three are different. Especially Hercules with its one specific area and fashion around that one city is great. Its different from others.
I dont like Hommes Officiel Germany. Its too elitist and more for adultry man at the age 35 above.
I just got Fashion for Man issue 2. Its like a real book actually. It has some nice ideas, but I would rather prefer more different photographers and stylists besides Milan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WesleyWong
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->