Where's Milan Vukmirovic?

I have some particularly fine examples from the Clockwork Orange collection that I'll post tommorow...

Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 4:22 pm
A few looks by Milan that I find particularly well-done:

F/W 03:
00058.L.JPG

That double wrapped belt (if my eyes are not deceiving me) was a very clever idea. It certainly caught my eye laying on the shelf, and honestly not much of Jil's label has :innocent: I did find the fit of that label impeccable.

Too funny... I've got that belt.
I actually have a jacket olive corduroy safari from Milan's 2001 collection that's just fantastic. I know it's not Jil, but I don't care.... I love it!

Originally posted by Pete@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 10:43 pm
Too funny... I've got that belt.
I actually have a jacket olive corduroy safari from Milan's 2001 collection that's just fantastic. I know it's not Jil, but I don't care.... I love it!
Our tastes are dangerously close, Pete :lol: B)

Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 4:25 pm

I have a feeling if some of these outfits were coming from Jil herself, the editors would've been raving like lunatics. :ninja:
i'll tell you the major difference btw jil and milan's menswear for me and why i am a bigger fan of jil...

jil's stuff has always been incredibly subtle...uber minimalist and impeccable fit and construction with just the right details...the kind of stuff you could wear to the office and look superb, without looking as though you've tried too hard or like a design victim...very serious...

i find milan's stuff too overt and a bit gimmicky...that's not to say i don't like it in concept...but i wouldn't necessarily want to see it go to the office for a meeting with a client...that fur sweater is just silly...maybe as part of a ski collection...but not rtw...it seems more appropriate for weekends...ie-belted cardigan...cross over shirt...hard to wear to most offices...

i'm a big fan of jil's... :blush: :flower:

Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 10:22 pm
A few looks by Milan that I find particularly well-done:

F/W 03:
00058.L.JPG

S/S 03:
00049.L.JPG
His belts :smile:
I really want one now :smile:

Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 26th, 2004 - 1:59 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 26th, 2004 - 1:59 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orochian@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 4:25 pm

I have a feeling if some of these outfits were coming from Jil herself, the editors would've been raving like lunatics. :ninja:
i'll tell you the major difference btw jil and milan's menswear for me and why i am a bigger fan of jil...

jil's stuff has always been incredibly subtle...uber minimalist and impeccable fit and construction with just the right details...the kind of stuff you could wear to the office and look superb, without looking as though you've tried too hard or like a design victim...very serious...

i find milan's stuff too overt and a bit gimmicky...that's not to say i don't like it in concept...but i wouldn't necessarily want to see it go to the office for a meeting with a client...that fur sweater is just silly...maybe as part of a ski collection...but not rtw...it seems more appropriate for weekends...ie-belted cardigan...cross over shirt...hard to wear to most offices...

i'm a big fan of jil's... :blush: :flower: [/b][/quote]
softgrey, I totally agree with you on the strengths of Jil's design. As I said earlier in the thread I'm an old-school Jil Sander fan myself, and most of my JS items are in fact from the pre-Milan era.

Milan does have a tendency to be a bit obvious sometimes, a bit of an antithesis to the obssessively low-key nature of Sander's designs. But I really feel that the huge discrepancy in how the two's collections were received by the media has a lot to do with Jil's fame and the good old nostalgic factor.

The F/W 2004 men's collection has a lot of distinctly un-Jil Sander-like ideas, yet they were applauded as a courageous revolution, a bold step to further the aesthetics of the house.

If it was designed by Milan, do you honestly thinkg the reviews would've been nearly as favourable?

I don't think so.

Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 26th, 2004 - 2:17 pm

The F/W 2004 men's collection has a lot of distinctly un-Jil Sander-like ideas, yet they were applauded as a courageous revolution, a bold step to further the aesthetics of the house.

If it was designed by Milan, do you honestly thinkg the reviews would've been nearly as favourable?

I don't think so.
well...i think the reason you saw such a positive reaction to jil's comeback...is just that...it was JIL'S COMEBACK...(can't get the 'bold' function to work...i'm not shouting :wink: )...what happened to jil with prada and bertelli was such a travesty, that everyone is just happy to see her back...and her first women's collection was also quite a departure from her usual bag of tricks...but i thought it was wonderful...

i wouldn't call ii nostalgia...that trivializes it too much...i would call it respect for a genuine talent...that didn't happen this time...she had her welcome back party, now she's got to come up with the goods... :flower:

i think milan would do well at burberry.... :innocent:

"Our tastes are dangerously close, Pete lol.gif cool.gif"

I agree faust... very strange indeed. B)

Milan is Back in White & Black

June 01, 2004 - Paris

Former Jil Sander creative director Milan Vukmirovic has returned to the aesthetic arena with a collection of cool new jewelry accessories.

Vukmirovic, whom most people refer to simply as Milan, has created a natty and highly wearable collection for dinh van, the quirkily classical Paris-based jeweler.

Entitled White & Black, the collection is novel selection of clever mini-pendants or amulets, slick, precise rings and cerebrally tiny crosses.

"Dinh van told me he wanted jewelry that functions on both sides," which is exactly my philosophy too," explained Vukmirovic, twisting around a hyper modern cross in yellow gold and onyx.

"It was I who introduced Dinh Van to Colette," Vukmirovic noted to FWD in a presentation in dinh vanOs Paris flagship store on rue de la Paix D the main drag of the biggest high-end jewelry-shopping district in Europe. Milan first grabbed the attention of the fashion universe as the debut buyer and artistic director of Colette, the hip Paris store that opened 1996.

For White & Black, Vukmirovic concentrated on looks that are "solid but not heavy." Using silver, onyx, gold and white cacholong he created accessories with a distinctly androgynous mood. "It should be androgynous. Dinh van is," smiled Vukmirovic, whose collection also retails in nearby Colette.

Prices vary from 330 Euros for a bracelet in gold and cacholong to 550 Euros for a black and gold cross.

Besides dinh van, Vukmirovic has also developed a line of furniture for Domeau & Peres that he presented at the Milan Home Fair in April, and collaborated on various projects with magazines as diverse as Numero, I.D. and Details.

Vukmirovic was informed of his ousting from his post at Sander last year in an abrupt cell phone call from an assistant to Patrizio Bertelli, the boss of Prada that controls the German fashion label. The break from fashion appears to have done little harm to Vukmirovic, who is tanned, trim and considerably healthier looking than the overworked individual who commuted between Milan, Paris and Hamburg while at Sander.

Like his White & Black collection, Milan is back, lean and keen.

FWD

thanks for the article runner :flower:

looking forward to see some visuals :ninja:

great article...great chair...can't wait to see the jewelry...sounds very cool... B)

our milan, quick to jump :rolleyes: to a brand new powerful direction,
regardless the opportunism, i'm convinced, he can do wonders as
editor in chief

PRESSING ON: Speaking of Jil Sander, Milan Vukmirovic, the house’s former creative director, is seeing the fashion business from a new vantage point — as a member of the media. Sources said Vukmirovic, who was creative director at hip boutique Colette before succeeding Sander at Prada Group in 2000, has been named editor in chief of L’Officiel Homme, a new biannual men’s title with a debut issue slated for January. Vukmirovic is said to be quietly making the rounds of design showrooms in Milan during men’s fashion week. Neither he nor anyone at Officiel could be reached for comment.

from wwd :flower:

I remember how Milan became Prada's piñata, and how reviews from his collections for Sander were just awful ... I agree with the sentiment from fellow members from tFS.
I think we all would welcome him as designer.

PS. Thanks for the news Le. Are there any other bits/pieces/news on L'Officiel Homme?

thanks Lena
L’Officiel Homme, a welcome addition, sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->