Who Put the Black in Black Style? NY Times article

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
interesting article from the ny times...

AMONG the roughly 200 designers who will be showing spring collections at New York Fashion Week beginning next Friday, Malcolm Harris is one of a handful who are black. The lack of diversity among designers is not news to Mr. Harris, nor should it be to anyone who has followed the disproportionately white, male-dominated industry since the time when a Fashion Week lasted only seven days.

Mr. Harris, who calls his year-old label Mal Sirrah (his surname backwards), works in a studio on Convent Avenue in Harlem. He identifies himself as a black designer. “My race is something that I think about every day,” he said. “There was a period when I felt no one really understood what African-American designers went through. It was almost as if our voices were not being heard and our visions were not being seen.”

If that has changed, it is mostly a result of the runway arrivals of hip-hop artists and record producers like Sean Combs and Russell Simmons, who are not really designers but entrepreneurs building clothing brands from their outsize personas, capitalizing on a style born of black street culture, and not so different from, say, Donald Trump’s constructing a brand on the culture of the boardroom.

Certainly more people recognize Mr. Combs and Mr. Simmons as famous African-American designers than Mr. Harris, or even the most prominent black designers on Seventh Avenue from recent decades like Tracy Reese, Stephen Burrows, Patrick Kelly, Byron Lars and Gordon Henderson.

Those designers studied draping and dress construction well before they started their labels, which were successful in some respects, but minute compared with Sean John and Phat Farm, or for that matter, Tommy Hilfiger — a white designer who built an empire selling preppy styles to an urban market, and by selling urban looks back to white teenagers, an apt illustration of the complexities of unraveling the influence of race on fashion, and what we associate specifically with black fashion.

Nonetheless, that is what an ambitious exhibition coming to the Museum of the City of New York, called “Black Style Now,’’ opening Sept. 9, proposes to do. It acknowledges the pervasive impact of the sartorial codes of hip-hop and rap artists in a display that includes a provocatively titled section called “Gangsta Mystique: Prisons, Pimps and Players.” The exhibition attempts to balance that version of black style with work by designers like Mr. Burrows and Jeffrey Banks that would not necessarily be called black style if its creators were not African-American.

As certainly as the show will inspire viewers like Mr. Harris, who said he is shocked at the absence of black designers when the fashion world gathers for galas at the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum, it will frustrate others who think it is hopeless to articulate a separate black style. This is a day when black style-setters like Pharrell Williams and Kanye West dress in polo shirts, rugby shirts and snug pastel sweaters that could be thought of as stereotypically WASP, or when the white performer Gwen Stefani uses Rastafarian color combinations in her fashion collection and on-stage wardrobe.

“I don’t know that we have a style any longer,” said Mr. Burrows, who began a ready-to-wear business selling brightly colored jersey dresses in the 1970’s. “I don’t see it as being black or white or any other color. It’s just a sense of style that is not different than anyone else’s. Celebrities and celebrity lifestyle, however surface they may be, seem to be such a big influence on people that black style will be just like working in the garment center. Everyone’s there and you end up with things looking just the same.”

That is not the point of view of the exhibition, apparently the first on black style in a major New York museum, which was put together in large part by two guest curators, Michael Henry Adams, a social and architecture historian, and Michael McCollom, a fashion designer. It was inspired by a groundbreaking exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London in 2004.

The other day the men were ordering lunch at Miss Mamie’s Spoonbread Too in Harlem, when Norma Jean Darden, a former model and an owner of the restaurant, dropped by their table.

“Now I have an important question for the two Michaels,” Ms. Darden said, pausing dramatically. “Are you including anything of Elizabeth Keckley?”

Her question was an example of the expectations that Mr. Adams and Mr. McCollom, who are black, said they feel from black audiences to demonstrate the importance of black style, because their history has been largely ignored by mainstream cultural institutions. They also expect greater criticism from black audiences over the inclusion of hip-hop styles that invoke negative stereotypes.

Addressing Ms. Darden’s question about Elizabeth Keckley, a slave who became the dressmaker to Mary Todd Lincoln, Mr. Adams said she was not included because her achievements happened outside the intended scope of the exhibition. “Black Style Now” begins its narrative in the 1920’s and concentrates on the impact of hip-hop on mainstream fashion from the 1970’s to the present. Mr. Adams sighed as he called the show a “vain attempt to show black style in all its complexity in New York.”

The show includes examples of wedding and debutante dresses seen in photographs, as well as the story of pioneering models like Ms. Darden and Dorothea Towles Church, and examples of work by designers like Mr. Burrows, Jon Haggins and Willi Smith, who broke through the color barriers of the fashion industry in the 70’s.

According to Mr. Adams and Mr. McCollom, the exhibition would have had a much narrower focus without their involvement. “The museum only wanted to show one thing,” Mr. Adams said. “This was to be the King Tut exhibition of hip-hop.”

The two men said senior museum administrators envisioned a crowd-pleasing display of youth styles that started in the streets and became an exuberant worldwide uniform. They did not want the show to fully explore thornier issues behind the mass market embrace of hip-hop looks — specifically, whether styles based in criminal subcultures perpetuate antisocial attitudes.

“So much of what one might describe as the negative aspects of the hip-hop expression are not dealt with because, from the museum’s point of view, as they would stress over and over, this is just a fashion exhibition that doesn’t have anything to do with politics or race or class,” Mr. Adams said. “It is my hope this will be dealt with in a more substantive and satisfying way in the public programs.”

Sarah M. Henry, the deputy director and chief curator of the museum, said Wednesday that she was puzzled by the complaints.

“This is the role of the museum, to take these difficult issues and present them in a responsible and neutral way, and I feel we’ve done that,’’ Ms. Henry said. “It is a fashion exhibition, we do keep that clear. But fashion is important in part because it is a window into political, social, cultural and racial history. It is a subtext that I totally embrace and I think that the exhibition does as well.’’

In the show there are pristine white Nike and Adidas shoes paired with outfits from urban labels like Dapper Dan, FUBU, Rocawear and Phat Farm. The walls are to be lined with images of Run-DMC, Jay Z, Mr. Combs and Beyoncé, some from blaxploitation films like “Superfly.”

There are examples of baggy jeans slipping below the waistline, a fur-collared cape and fedora, gold neck chains and other bling worn by rap stars who dressed in outfits inspired by pimps or players. The rapper 50 Cent, a multiple gunshot-wound victim, is shown in a bulletproof vest worn as a fashion statement, Mr. McCollom said.

Mr. Adams described the approach as “acknowledging the reality of it without really explaining it,” which could be fodder for critics like the comedian Bill Cosby, who has argued that hip-hop has perpetuated racial stereotypes, hyper-materialism and a disrespect for education.

Perhaps a more incisive critique of the hip-hop fashions will come from viewers who find that including them in a museum, however belatedly, is obvious to the point of tedium. Ms. Reese, the designer, said she was excited to see the exhibition’s highlights of Willi Smith and Anne Lowe, the designer of Jackie Kennedy’s wedding dress, but did not care to revisit the past of hip-hop. “We’ve seen it, it’s all over the place and verging on tired,” she said.

But Mr. Adams said it was essential to put on exhibit the Timberland boots, Kangol hats, athletic jerseys and other hip-hop signatures, which are inherently neither black nor white, because there is a racial connotation to the style they evoke, which engenders a powerful sentiment of ownership.

It was young urban blacks who first wore those styles in such a way as to make them their own, even though the looks were quickly adopted by the mainstream. Baggy jeans and oversize T-shirts are marketed as “urban” in malls everywhere, and luxury brands like Gucci, Chanel and Burberry make logo-driven bucket hats and diamond and crystal encrusted mega-watches that come from black styles, but negate the idea that these looks are exclusively black style.

“Black style has become American style and arguably world style,” Ms. Henry said. “The hip-hop revolution has transformed the way the world dresses.”

Last edited by a moderator:
pics from the article/exhibit, from nytimes.com

sean "diddy" combs
black.style.11.450.jpg

kangol hat
black.style.08.450.jpg

tommy hilfiger in the 90s (treach from naught by nature and joy bryant)
black.style.01.450.jpg

victoria beckham in rocawear
black.style.06.450.jpg

street fashion
black.style.12.450.jpg

stephen burrows in the 70s (with jerry hall on the right)
black.style.02.450.jpg

beyonce in roberto cavalli
black.style.04.450.jpg

kanye west
black.style.05.450.jpg

white and cranberry leather hat made for ll cool j in the 80s
black.style.10.450.jpg

kimora lee simmons
black.style.07.jpg

pharrell williams
black.style.03.450.jpg

cab calloway
blackstyle.15.450.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]The curators of “Black Style Now” are, from left, Michael Henry Adams, and Michael McCollom.[/SIZE][/FONT]
blackstyle.450.14.jpg

an exhibit from the show
black.style.13.650.jpg

I loved that V&A Black Style exhibition....especially seeing the progression from the early 60's looks to the modern urban look.

Is the focus of the exhibition different from what bowed in the UK? It would be interesting if it drawls parallels, invites the different perspectives of the different countries. Is it too late for an exhibition like this? Is black style really American style and American (white) style really European style? I don't think you can talk about one without talking about the other, the rebellious nature of street style is wholly dependent upon having something to rebel against...

I've been seeing this for years... It's amazing how a pair of Jordans or sports apparel plays into an outfit.

But, it's nice to get confirmation on where the whole baggy-jeans look came into style. It's been around forever that I've never even thought about it- which is kind of the whole point of the exhibition, isn't it? :smile:

The curators are just as bad as large media entities like BET and MTV in supporting and legitimizing black stereotypes. There is a section called Gangsta mystique? Are you serious? Dressing like criminals, prisoners, and lechers is not anyone's idea of good style and why it is considered uniquely black is beyond me. They could have at least named that part of the exhibition tastefully. Urban and hip hop style clothes have been hugely influential but hasn't raised an inch in prominence or sophiscation, as much as Sean Combs, Jay Z, or this exhibition would like you to believe. You walk in somewhere for an interview with your *** hanging out and a sports jersey on and you will be scoffed at, no questions asked. There is a lot more to black style and fashion than looking like an idiot, I'm deeply saddened this exhibition is not taking advantage of it and instead is playing up to the same rascist stereotypes that are hurting the african american community. And like a lot of rascist stereotypes, it's being perputuated by African Americans themselves. The fact that they aren't including Elizabeth Keckley shows they aren't all that into the real contribution African American's have made to fashion. And I would be surprised if they include Patrick Robinson because he doesn't cater to the same bullsh*t idiotic trappings this exhibition showcases. You could say I agree with Bill Cosby on this kind of thing.

I do like that they are including debutante ball gowns, at least they have put SOME thought into this.

i'm going to see this for myself and give a full report.

birdofparadise said:
Is the focus of the exhibition different from what bowed in the UK? It would be interesting if it drawls parallels, invites the different perspectives of the different countries. Is it too late for an exhibition like this? Is black style really American style and American (white) style really European style? I don't think you can talk about one without talking about the other, the rebellious nature of street style is wholly dependent upon having something to rebel against...

You just went *whoosh* right over the head of the capacity of this exhbition.

Nice article :flower:

I love Tracy Resses, such a shame that she dosen't get the attention her beautiful designs deserve.

mutterlein...
i was thinking the same thing about patrick robinson as i read the list of designers they are including...
i'm acutally surprised that they were including tracy reese, but that's probably because she designs under her own name...
or they could have possibly included rachel roy, who designs very tasteful, elegant clothing (although she used to be head of womenswear for rocawear)...

it is quite disappointing that black style is being equated with hip-hop...
all the pictures of blacks in the nytimes article are related somehow to hip-hop (except cab calloway)...
as an african-american woman, it disappoints me that "exhibits" like this are continuing to perpetuate stereotypes about black and black culture...
they should look at southern culture, people going to church in the south, or the cotton club/harlem starting in the 20s...

i'm very interested in hearing your report on the exhibit...:flower:

kimair said:
mutterlein...
they should look at southern culture, people going to church in the south, or the cotton club/harlem starting in the 20s...

exactly!

My visit to the city has been cut short so I may not be able to squeeze this exhibit in but I'll try.

Really interesting article. and interesting discussion too But we must realise that sometimes we become caricatures of someones view of us. Maybe thats whats happened with this exhibition.

i think its important not to dismiss the contributions hip hop has made to fashion, but yes at the same time more emphasis needs to be made to all black artists working in the fashion design industry, but i think overall the sensationalism of the urban trends was played up to sell tickets, also i didnt see any afrocentric designs, it was either euro classy or hood chic, neither of which is bad but it isnt the whole story

i do have to say as a black female it is so hard in the fashion industry, i do think blacks are more appreciated in the arts than other fields but there is still tokenism and the fight to be seen at all, i used to want to be a designer but after living in new york a few years i figured out who gets anywhere and it aint me, you have to be white or asian ( especially asian, its super trendy ) and well connected or willing to party, party, party to get connected, and if you are black and get somewhere you are most likely multi-racial or a gay male or extra well connected, sad but true, i have a black male friend trying to be a fashion photographer and he said agencies are reluctant because he may sexually harass the models, dude is so harmless and sweet, oh my, i have friends of every background trying to make it and its so predictable to see who gets ahead

anyways i still love the fashion industry but i decided to become a hairstylist cause its easier to become successful and be an entrepreneur and i want to work with natural black hair, but even still i will probably have some setbacks before i start my own business trying to start out in upscale salons cause there are few black ones and the white ones will probably question my ability to build a client base, but hey nothing is easy

Well, let me see this thing before i complain. I do hate that people consider hip hip style black style.Which is totally wrong. Anyway I think thay are trying to acknowledge that hip hop style has become a very profitable and influential in the world. I do not think the focus is to expose or enlighten people about the contributions of black designers in the apparel industry. And on black style where do you begin? Dont get me started. I could care less about Tommy Hilger, Rocca wear, bullet proof vests, Bape or any of that crap.

Mutterlein said:
The curators are just as bad as large media entities like BET and MTV in supporting and legitimizing black stereotypes. There is a section called Gangsta mystique? Are you serious? Dressing like criminals, prisoners, and lechers is not anyone's idea of good style and why it is considered uniquely black is beyond me. They could have at least named that part of the exhibition tastefully. Urban and hip hop style clothes have been hugely influential but hasn't raised an inch in prominence or sophiscation, as much as Sean Combs, Jay Z, or this exhibition would like you to believe. You walk in somewhere for an interview with your *** hanging out and a sports jersey on and you will be scoffed at, no questions asked. There is a lot more to black style and fashion than looking like an idiot, I'm deeply saddened this exhibition is not taking advantage of it and instead is playing up to the same rascist stereotypes that are hurting the african american community. And like a lot of rascist stereotypes, it's being perputuated by African Americans themselves. The fact that they aren't including Elizabeth Keckley shows they aren't all that into the real contribution African American's have made to fashion. And I would be surprised if they include Patrick Robinson because he doesn't cater to the same bullsh*t idiotic trappings this exhibition showcases. You could say I agree with Bill Cosby on this kind of thing.

I do like that they are including debutante ball gowns, at least they have put SOME thought into this.

i'm going to see this for myself and give a full report.
I AGREE COMPLETELY.

Im soo going to take a peek at this...I hope it's more than Timberlands and cropped denim jackets...

I can see it both ways though. The power and influence of hip hop and the stereotype that African Americans are put into/perpetuate. I have to see this to decide which side Im on.

Has anyone seen the exhibit? I hope to be able to see it but just haven't had the time.

This is embarassing and I don't like it, Too long has black style been equated with hip hop and gangbangers. I'm a young black male who wants to be a designer but I don't equate my style with any of that. Is there anything besides that, there are many great b;ack designer why don't they put that in the spotlight. Tracy Reese and Stephen Burrows should get more coverage that JayZ and Diddy. I love those guys and there music but they aren't designers. Designing is a craft not a trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dm4048a
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->