Work and Student Visas Needed for a Foreigner in Different Countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addicted2dior

Reaction score
I'm canadian and i'm considering getting an internship in New York city next summer. Do I need a work visa or anything else? Since i wouldn't be an employee I wouldn't think so... but can anyone confirm this?

Take a look around this site ... it's the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, which is the department that controls all immigration to the US.

This link talks about student visa's ... and related "Practical Training" which is how an internship would probably be classified (I'm guessing here ... you'd probably have to contact them to verify is an intership qualifies under student visas:(

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=48819c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

This link is for temporaty visitors for pleasure or business purposes and it also mentions students who are in the US temporarily:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=48819c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I live in Sydney, Australia and have just last month finished high school (thank GOD!) and I've already found that the opportunities for fashion design available here, both educationally and employment-wise, are very limited, so Parsons is somewhere that I am seriously considering applying for. I adore the idea of moving to New York and I have the finances to back it up.

However I just wanted to get some info from anyone who can help on what it's like applying internationally.
I'm taking 2009 off to work, save-up and do as many technical textile courses as possible ('cause I need to improve my textile manufacturing skills) and work on my portfolio, I would consider myself very ambitious and am confident in my abilities, especially in design and fashion illustration (although even saying that makes me uncomfortable, I definitely need to get over my aversion to selling myself and worrying about sounding pretentious).
So for those who have applied and gotten in, would you say that the fashion design course is extremely difficult to get in to? And what do they respond to?

First, check into the government requirements to move here to be a student. There is lot's of red tape here in the U.S. which has only gotten worse since 9/11 ... so make sure you know the requirements for that, too.

^^ Yeah I've read up about what kinda of visa is required and all the limitations and guidelines, and as long as I can actually get into a school the student visa platform is fairly straightforward.

Hi!! I'm currently looking for internships in NY. Does anyone know anything about visa's working regulations for someone from the UK? I know we are allowed to stay up to 3 months but can I do a unpaid internship in those 3 months? any advice would be appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, please direct me elsewhere if this is the case.

Thanks very much!! xxxxx

There's some U.S. visa info in the internship thread ... I posted this a few months ago and there's a link to the U.S. Imigration service there. It's best to contact them, if you have questions because you will probably get a wrong answer from us ... because it is very complicated and confusing.

I'm currently a junior in college majoring in English and Art History. I live in a small city in Ohio. I know, it's as terrible as it sounds :wink:! Upon graduating, I have thought about applying to go to graduate school in London at Central St. Martin's with a focus in fashion journalism. I would eventually love to move to Paris, though. Someone had mentioned that one has to be 25 or older to work full-time in France. I am 19. Is there any way I could get an internship in Paris?

Here's a starting place with the French government, who is the only real authority about this sort of thing ... it's in French. This page is the information that you need to immigrate to France as a student but there are other links there about Visas and working in France, etc.
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/espaces_dedies.php3?id_rubrique=12793

It will be very complicated ... and varies by the country you are coming from (normal for immigrating to any country) ... unless you already live in the EU ... then it's a bit simpler.

Here's a starting place with the French government, who is the only real authority about this sort of thing ... it's in French. This page is the information that you need to immigrate to France as a student but there are other links there about Visas and working in France, etc.
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/espaces_dedies.php3?id_rubrique=12793

It will be very complicated ... and varies by the country you are coming from (normal for immigrating to any country) ... unless you already live in the EU ... then it's a bit simpler.

You can also find pertinent information in your local language regarding student visas for France on your local French Consulate or embassy's website :flower:

There are definitely internship opportunities for Americans in France, I know for a fact that the French American Chamber of Commerce helps facilitate an internship program for Americans with private French companies in France...this includes fashion companies!!

I highly recommend that you learn French and get to the point where you're fluent. I learned to speak French fluently when I taught English there for 7 months to high school students through a program sponsored by the French government. They pay you a modest stipend, you get to live in France and get to know the culture and the language. Plus, you can use that time to make connections in the fashion industry. Since you're an English major, I think this might be interesting for you, only you should take some French classes so you have a better chance of being accepted. In my experience, once you have the language down, doors will open for you like you wouldn't expect. :P

Thank you so much! This sounds fascinating! I really appreciate this tidbit of information! I will definitely look into it :smile:!

this is a very weird question but can you do work experiences/internships in like foreign countries likw whilst on a holiday or something?? It's just that over here there isn't much opportunities within the fashion world.

i would like to know too. :smile:

i just know if you are being paid, you need at least a working visa

this is a very weird question but can you do work experiences/internships in like foreign countries likw whilst on a holiday or something?? It's just that over here there isn't much opportunities within the fashion world.

Yes you can, but you might want to double check with visas and all that stuff, just in case.

Also for internships, they'd want you at least a month (at least in the US). Work experience maybe a week - I know a few people who have done them for a week, but they were more for special circumstances (like they had a blog which had lots of hits, or they had good contacts!) Overseas isn't like Australia (I'm assuming you're from Sydney, Australia, based on your location?) where many companies do work experience for just one week. Or at least not to my knowledge.

But anyway, you're in Sydney, there's quite a few opportunities if you know where to look! Definitely the most in Australia I'd say :smile:

^ I have interned overseas, but not with a programme. I just sent my resume and cover letter via email.

Did you need a Visa or were you already able to legally work in that country? If a Visa, how did the company react to having to sponser you?

^ You need a visa which the company organizes for you.

It depends which country - many countries (like the US) want you to be sponsored by a third party, like an agency, whilst others like Hong Kong, the company doesn't actually sponsor the visa, but you apply for the temp work visa (or whichever visa you're applying for) on your own, directly to the government.

One of my friends told me that in America, they prioritize jobs to citizens rather than giving them to international people, including internships. Is that true?

Also it says on DVF.com that they currently offer spring internships, but shouldn't that have started in Jan/Feb?

Yes .... it's true, for jobs. Internships are a bit different, if you are doing it through your school ... at least as far as the government application goes. But I"m not sure how different it is.

I do know that for real jobs, your employer must sponsor you so that you can get a work visa ... and both you and the company hiring you must demonstrate why you, specifically, are needed for this job. You must be able to show the you have experience that makes you special above an average American.

For anyone seeking an internship (or a job) in the US and they are not a legal resident or US citizen, here's the place you need to go: www.uscis.gov "United States Citizenship & Immigration Services" ... and you'll see that there are different forms and processes, depending on how and why you will be working in the U.S..

The site seems to be down right now, I beleive that there is a link about internships there, somewhere .... I just looked at it a couple of days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->