WSJ Magazine June/July 2017 : Sofia Coppola by Steven Meisel

Miesel proves once and again that he can produce a Vogue Italia cover anywhere, Vogue Italia, however, has floundered since he stopped being the cover photographer.

No it hasn't.

It's a beautiful cover and editorial.Nothing more, nothing less
The Meisel stans can't seem to grasp that he is no longer the King of VI, which is thriving and surviving without being under his stranglehold. He now has the opportunity to revitalize his creativity with other magazines, but no one will ever give him the kind of control Franca did, and that's a good thing.

The Meisel stans can't seem to grasp that he is no longer the King of VI, which is thriving and surviving without being under his stranglehold. He now has the opportunity to revitalize his creativity with other magazines, but no one will ever give him the kind of control Franca did, and that's a good thing.

Ha! It's surviving, but not thriving. I've been a huge advocate of post-Meisel VI (under Franca!) because I loved the fact that she finally had full agency over the magazine. But the reality of the situation was that the magazine as a whole never quite captured that same momentum it had when he shot the cover edits. Sales have been so bad that they've had to pull blatant money-grabbing stunts by putting your Queen on the cover, shot by Klein, but that won't resolve what's ultimately a much bigger problem. Whether you'd like to face this fact or not, Meisel's departure is part of what's wrong with VI.

I haven't really liked anything from Meisel in a while but I must admit I am in love with this cover...

Sofia lent herself pretty well to the story, especially considering that I wouldn't normally associate her with this kind of "Old Hollywood" glamour. I much prefer this to what Meisel did for W this month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's be honest, the man attraction of VI has been since 1988 the MEISEL COVER & ED. With that in mind, he can totally survive without it. I don't think that in this era he can be as daring as he was 7 years ago.

By being less present than he was some years ago, his work is becoming even more iconic. He is at the point of his career where he can afford to be mediocre, to be in the middle...

What is VI without Meisel? Another Vogue...because it's not like others photographers are really pushing themselves for the magazine.

Here's a link to the edits re: www.designscene.net

ED0hKOTB_o.jpg

source: DScene

The Beguiled movie director Sofia Coppola takes the cover story of WSJ. Magazine‘s June July 2017 edition captured by fashion photographer Steven Meisel. In charge of styling was Paul Cavaco, who for the session selected pieces from brands such as Lanvin, Marc Jacobs, Anna Sui, Celine, Valentino, Fendi, Salvatore Ferragamo, Bottega Veneta, and Chanel among other. Beauty is work of makeup artist James Kaliardos, hair stylist Jimmy Paul and manicurist Jin Soon

Actual sales of Vogue Italia were never great, but that wasn't the point of the publication, it was the cachet of Meisel's cover stories and the world-building of seeing his latest muse in several different settings, or the visual themes of new season adverts explored in more detail over twenty pages.

Decades ago, they used to have flyers in the magazine stating they had a circulation of something like "164,000 copies sold worldwide", like it was a boast to sell that many copies of a niche publication. But circulation numbers like that were nothing when compared to most other magazines at the time.

The way I saw it, Vogue Italia was an industry publication. Fashion could be enjoyed by anyone picking up a copy of American Vogue with Cindy Crawford on the cover, but those who were turned into the more imperceptible changes in the air would find the content they wanted on the pages of Vogue Italia.

What is Vogue Italia in a time when you're not permitted to be niche? When everything has to satisfy the broadest number of social media users?

Anyhow, back to W - if this editorial appeared in UK Vogue, would opinions be different? While there are some truly excellent shots, there are also the same type of blurry images that we stopped giving a pass to when they kept appearing on the pages of UK Vogue month after month.

(As a side note, I look back at Edward's old editorials in W and I think: What the hell happened? Where did the magic go?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->