young designers built network @ myspace

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
it was bound to happen and now it makes headlines at WWD..
Like most artistic people out there, young fashion designers network their work through myspace communicating their collections and their online shops

here extracts from an article from wwd of yesterday

Published: Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Young Designers Build Business Networks on MySpace
By Mengly Taing
MySpace.com, the networking Web site that helped catapult virtual music unknowns such as Hawthorne Heights and Fallout Boy into MTV stardom, is luring small, ambitious fashion companies seeking to promote their brands directly to young Internet surfers.

MySpace is among the first of a growing number of free networking cyber sites supported by advertising revenue, such as youtube.com and yub.com, which are increasingly being used as marketing tools to entice a generation that has made the Internet a key part of their lives.

Designers and retailers have good reason to pay attention. MySpace has more than 100 million registered members around the world. "A third of teenagers have learned about new products and brands on community-based Web sites," said Michael Wood, vice president of Teenage Research Unlimited, which specializes in the teen market.

Nielsen Net Ratings reported that MySpace had more than 46 million unique visitors in July and was the fasting-growing Web brand, followed by Google and eBay.

Much like eBay, the most popular shopping site among teens, Wood said social networks like MySpace have become fertile ground for teenagers scouting for trends and fashions. The TRU study said young people ages 12 to 19 spent an average of 7.1 hours a week online in 2005 and one in two teens shopped online — with apparel topping the list of purchases.

Among the young designers who have plugged into MySpace is Malcolm Harris, founder and designer of the Mal Sirrah Collection, who keeps a blog of press clips and photos on his page. Harris attributed more than $625,000 in sales to the Web site, based on the 15 accounts he has opened since his profile was created in January.

The 35-year-old New Yorker said revenue, exposure and networking through the site have made it possible for him to open his first boutique in a luxury hotel in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates next year.

Harris said he is surprised the networking tool hasn't caught on faster in the fashion community. "Sometimes the fashion world is not as forward as people would like to believe," he said.

MySpace, which was voted the most popular Web site in a TRU study of 2,000 teenagers released in May, "is like the middleman, the agent to tell people where to go on the Internet," said Hollie Velten, 25, the founder and designer of contemporary clothing and jewelry line Hollie Ten.

Velten, who created her MySpace profile in 2005, uses her page as a portal to her online store. Visitors can also find a list of retail locations that sell her merchandise or contact her directly for orders.

Though MySpace has yet to break out fashion as a separate clickable category — as it has done for music — the company is looking at opportunities within the fashion arena, including trade shows such as MAGIC and Pool.

MySpace made its initial appearance at Pool in 2001, returning in July to Pool in New York, and had a presence at the Las Vegas show this month. Exhibitor coordinator Ryan Walker, who created the show's MySpace page in 2004, said 60 percent of Pool designers now have a MySpace page for their businesses. MySpace approached Pool again in February to set up a computer lounge, he said.

"We knew they were doing music, and we wanted to see them do something for fashion," Walker said.

Until the company formalizes efforts to create a permanent central fashion forum, designers with MySpace pages also have the option of joining one of the Web site's networking groups, created by designers to increase exposure and provide a chat room.

Two of the most popular networking groups are All MySpace Clothing Co., with 11,000 members, and Fashion Designers, a collective that has more than 24,000 members. In July, Fashion Designers held its first annual Fashion Designer Forum Awards, an online event that honored designers within the MySpace group, based on two categories: "Concepts/Sketches" and "Real Clothing."

Some designers, including 25-year-old Carrie Cochran-Cabrera, founder and designer of contemporary jewelry line Karma Kultura, fear the user-friendly design of MySpace has made labeling oneself a designer too easy.

"Ebay became so cluttered with all kinds of DIY designers and with people selling millions of products that made it difficult to stand out," said Cochran-Cabrera, who is also a costume designer and opened her MySpace account almost four years ago.

Some designers and retailers have had to deal with sites created without their permission.

Fraser Ross, owner of Los Angeles specialty store Kitson, succeeded in his efforts to remove a Kitson profile on MySpace that a fan created without permission. With Kitson's official Web site accumulating more than 5 million hits per month, Ross sees no need to launch a company-operated MySpace presence. However, he said MySpace is "definitely a way for people to market product they can't afford to [traditionally] market."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you all post some links to designers MySpace pages? It would be cool to see some of the pages for the big designers and stores like H&M as well as the small designers too...

Thanks!

Lena:

Thank you for re-posting the story. I hope you all liked it.

:heart:,
Mengly

tiamaria - thanks for the links. haven't seen any of these sites as of now, but will check them out....

i haven't heard of this before but i'll definately be checking it out, thanks!!

hi mengly..:flower:...

you wrote the article i presume?...
seems that myspace attracts teenagers and young contemporary brands or small designers with little or no cash...yes?...

sort of geared towards teenagers in general is this right?...

*are the designers creating a page to network with other designers?
or to sell their stuff?..does it become a sort of online boutique?

can you shed any light on this that you may have gotten doing the research for the article?..

thanks in advance...:flower:
and welcome to tFS...
nice to see you post...

as far as i know, its more networking than actual selling
any artist or designer can use myspace as a creative outlet to express an identity, show a new video, communicate their work or 'advertise'/link their commercial site with their myspace page.
there are also the 'tribute' pages made up by fans, those are also interesting to check regardless that are not set up by the designers themselves

(young and established fashion photographers, stylists, models and journalists also network or have 'tribute' pages)

MTaing, thank you and welcome to tFS :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
yes lena- i know that is what you have said before...
but that is no actually what the article says...

and i don't really see any other purpose for it other than sales...
and if MOST of myspace is teenagers (*again- this is in the article)
then my assumption is that you have to be selling a product that appeals to teens...
*for example the links that tiamaria posted are all contemporary or mass brands that appeal to high school and college age kids

i'm just not getting this...so i am trying to get another perspective ...
to see if it goes beyond the 20 something crowd...
and how someone who is established would use this or need this...

Very cool. Similar to the music section. I really love the idea of this Myspace stuff...

Hi:

Early on, MySpace was a great tool for young and new designers to post and sell their products online. Membership was free (though I heard there was once a fee) and they had nothing to lose - it was an opportunity to make some money here or there for someone who couldn’t depend wholly on MySpace for their livelihood. However, MySpace has grown tremendously and many designers, large and small, now feel it is necessarily to make a presence, large or small, on MySpace. So yes, MySpace is dominated by a young audience and young, contemporary designers do find that MySpace can put them in direct contact with their target audience, allowing them to bypass some marketing obstacles that smaller companies often fall victim to. But that doesn't mean larger companies aren’t jumping on the bandwagon as well.

As fashion become more popular many designers formed support groups and networked with one another. A couple of the groups that I mentioned in the story were: All MySpace Clothing Co. and Fashion Designers. These are by far the two largest groups on MySpace and Fashion Designers, in particular, is looking into ways of growing beyond MySpace. They gave out awards this year for MySpace clothing designers as mentioned in the article.

MySpace has not created a separate category for fashion, nor has it enabled any program that allows users to sell their product on MySpace, but some designers have created PayPal links on their pages. The easiest thing to do is to create a link to their official website. That’s the most common feature, but I have also seen designers post up look books, fashion shows, stocklists, you name it.

Something interesting that I tried to shed light on in the story was the social stigma attached to being a MySpace company. Some designers still feel uncomfortable being classified as one. This is partially due to the influx of t-shirt and vintage stores run by teenagers on MySpace. I admit I also fell victim to this view until I discovered the great number of undiscovered designers on MySpace.

I hope that helps. There are so many angles to this story, but I do hope it sparks some curiosity. It'll be interesting to pay attention to how it all develops over the next few years.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Best Wishes,
Mengly

softgrey said:
hi mengly..:flower:...

you wrote the article i presume?...
seems that myspace attracts teenagers and young contemporary brands or small designers with little or no cash...yes?...

sort of geared towards teenagers in general is this right?...

*are the designers creating a page to network with other designers?
or to sell their stuff?..does it become a sort of online boutique?

can you shed any light on this that you may have gotten doing the research for the article?..

thanks in advance...:flower:
and welcome to tFS...
nice to see you post...

In reference your questions about how larger brands could benefit from Myspace:

Larger brands are more likely to use MySpace for networking purposes than actually selling their products online. Desigers use MySpace to promote their in-store events as well as to conduct product research. Fans post comments and critiques, they ask questions, and there is nothing more valuable than having your buyers and fans directly communicating with you about what they like and don't like about a collection.

So while larger designers are not relying on MySpace for their total intake as some smaller designers do, they do see an importance in staying connected and having a pressence. Besides, seeing how many young people are on Myspace, it seems reasonable to want to be just a click away. On MySpace, designers have a chance of appearing linked on friend pages. Users don't necessarily have to leave MySpace to learn about a brand.

Other designers not mentioned above that have MySpace accounts are:

Ben Sherman
Heatherette

XO,
Mengly

www.myspace.com/mengly

thanks for the response mengly...
most interesting....

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads