Galliano, Westwood help launch fashion "MySpace" - article

Mr-Dale

Unveil Yourself....
Reaction score
From Yahoo News:

LONDON (Reuters) - Iconic British designers Vivienne Westwood and John Galliano will be online to help aspiring designers and models around the world as part of a new social networking Web site, dubbed the "MySpace.com" of fashion.

IQONS, the name of the new online social network that the founders said was a fashion first, was launched at London Fashion Week on Tuesday and hopes to open up the cliquey, sometimes hostile, fashion world to the next generation.

On www.iqons.com, design students and aspiring supermodels will be able to mingle in cyberspace with top designers and fashion scouts, while trend spotters hunt for that hottest of fashion commodities -- "the next big thing."
"We would aim to have the same impact as MySpace had in taking talent straight to the consumers," co-founder Suran Goonatilake told reporters, referring to the online networking site that is one of the Internet's most popular services.

The fashion industry has been slow to latch on to the Internet, but it is now making up for lost time with online fashion shopping springing up all over the Web from established houses to startups like net-a-porter.com.
Fashion bloggers are also gaining kudos with some of the biggest blogging names now considered so powerful they get press seats at the top shows. Even designers are realizing how the Internet can give them access to millions more consumers.

Giorgio Armani, the Italian designer loved equally by Hollywood stars and business leaders, broadcast his haute couture show from Paris last month live on the Internet, while fast fashion chain Topshop this week podcast its show.

IQONS already has more than 4,500 users with around 600 new sign ups every week, Goonatilake said -- still a small drop compared with the more than 90 million unique visitors globally who visited MySpace.com in December 2006.

The site is free and open to everyone from star designers, stylists and fashion photographers to fans and consumers. It allows members to showcase their work through online portfolios and promises to spot and provide support to new talent.

"The fashion world was sometimes a hostile and competitive environment so this is a tool to help young designers get involved," said IQONS other founder Rafael Jimenez, who previously worked at fashion house Comme des Garcons.
"If you are talented someone will spot you and you will get through."

(Additional reporting by Rachel Sanderson in London)

That sounds really cool, and it's awesome that anyone can join! :D I'm going to check it out for sure.

That's exciting news, I am checking it out right now but the page is taking forever to load!

John Galliano and Vivenne Westood help launch "IQONS"-the fashion myspace

Galliano, Westwood help launch IQONS, the fashion "MySpace"

LONDON (Reuters) - Iconic British designers Vivienne Westwood and John Galliano will be online to help aspiring designers and models around the world as part of a new social networking Web site, dubbed the "MySpace.com" of fashion.

IQONS, the name of the new online social network that the founders said was a fashion first, was launched at London Fashion Week on Tuesday and hopes to open up the cliquey, sometimes hostile, fashion world to the next generation.

On www.iqons.com, design students and aspiring supermodels will be able to mingle in cyberspace with top designers and fashion scouts, while trend spotters hunt for that hottest of fashion commodities -- "the next big thing."
"We would aim to have the same impact as MySpace had in taking talent straight to the consumers," co-founder Suran Goonatilake told reporters, referring to the online networking site that is one of the Internet's most popular services.

The fashion industry has been slow to latch on to the Internet, but it is now making up for lost time with online fashion shopping springing up all over the Web from established houses to startups like net-a-porter.com.
Fashion bloggers are also gaining kudos with some of the biggest blogging names now considered so powerful they get press seats at the top shows. Even designers are realizing how the Internet can give them access to millions more consumers.

Giorgio Armani, the Italian designer loved equally by Hollywood stars and business leaders, broadcast his haute couture show from Paris last month live on the Internet, while fast fashion chain Topshop this week podcast its show.

IQONS already has more than 4,500 users with around 600 new sign ups every week, Goonatilake said -- still a small drop compared with the more than 90 million unique visitors globally who visited MySpace.com in December 2006.

The site is free and open to everyone from star designers, stylists and fashion photographers to fans and consumers. It allows members to showcase their work through online portfolios and promises to spot and provide support to new talent.

"The fashion world was sometimes a hostile and competitive environment so this is a tool to help young designers get involved," said IQONS other founder Rafael Jimenez, who previously worked at fashion house Comme des Garcons.
"If you are talented someone will spot you and you will get through."

(Additional reporting by Rachel Sanderson in London)

source:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070213/wr_nm/fashion_london_internet_dc
ohnotheydidn't.com
-----------------------------------------------------

Excuse me while I go sign up!:brows:

When I got the email about John Galliano, Alber Elbaz, and Vivienne Westwood joining, I freaked! So so so so so exciting! I cannot wait!

I cannot wait...This is gonna be seriously entertaining...:evil:

I find IQONS so complicated and ultimately pointless..aside from the networking side, which is always good. I registered a few months ago and never went back, I might try it again this week. :ninja:

Diorling said:
I cannot wait...This is gonna be seriously entertaining...:evil:

:evil:
I surely hope something good comes out of this for me. :lol:

I really, really can not wait!!

It will be interesting, to see models and designers follow in the tracks of Tila Tequila, Cassie, and Panic! at the Disco on myspace- becoming a phenomenon without leaving from in front of their computer screen.

why have they forgotten Maria Luisa in their article?? Come on,Viv and John is huge for sure but Maria Luisa is a hero for the very people--including myself--joining IQONS.

btw,should this be in Designers forum or the careers and education? i don't think this qualifies as mere gossip....

MulletProof said:
I find IQONS so complicated and ultimately pointless..aside from the networking side, which is always good. I registered a few months ago and never went back, I might try it again this week. :ninja:
Same.

^ Same again :P

I get loads of emails about requests and everything but Im too lazy to check, Ill try and do it this week :hardhead:

my question could sound stupid but : what's the use of iqons?! i register overthere... until I saw it was a lot about fashion... and thought there were no point in register if i wasn't in the fashion industry!...
so it's a myspace, friendster ONLY for fashion insiders and fashion wannabes, non?
could someone clear that up?

^^ i was thinking the same thing berlinrocks...

anymore info?

I was at the official launch press conference speaking with Romina Karamanea, another IQONS member who is an upcoming designer...was peeing myself because Colin McDowell was next to me.... ack...I think I 'um-ed and 'ah'ed a lot when I was speaking about IQONS.... I really do recommend anyone in the fashion industry to join...by being in the industry..... I mean in anyway whatsoever. Serious fashion enthusiasts should also join too. I think the IQONS design is really helpful for me and of course looks good... I think Suran, one of the co-founders of IQONS said that if 'MySpace is like a PC, then IQONS is like a Mac.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicemercedes
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->