Your Best & Worst Collections of Haute Couture F/W 2019.20

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a wrap for the Fall 2019 season of Haute Couture.

C'mon... who was your most and least favorite collection of the season?

My most favorite was Clare Waight Keller for Givenchy and my very least was Maria Grazia Chiuri for Christian Dior (as it mostly is every season).

I love Ralph Rucci´s collection, the only one playing with patterns (and not just easy embellishments).

I hate the fact that Chanel, Dior and Givenchy are in the hands of untalented designers.

Reactions: Sai
Iris Van Herpen's installations were breathtaking so she's on top definitely

Reactions: Sai
FENDI COUTURE! FENDI COUTURE!!!!!!

My favorites were Chanel, Valentino, Maison Margiela and Givenchy.

Armani Prive was a disappointment.

Fendi, Rucci, Givenchy and Margiela were the best. Dior was boring as always (but MGC got the worst look of this season), Schiaparelli was a disaster and I didn't like Valentino at all.

In terms of visual brilliance, Valentino stood out, the color palette alone put it in place of its own.

I don't entirely get the enthusiasm for Fendi, it was technically highly skilled (as usual and as expected) but probably looks better seen up close rather than on a video screen (and here, the colour choices were rather dull, imo)

RR331 was a welcome come back, I hope his independent venture survives in these wretched times of capitalist fashion.

I think CWK did a very good job at Givenchy, a house that, we should remember, never really had a very definite identity. Her approach is fresh, clean, modern, the reference to the archive are there as is a certain idea of classic Parisian elegance that the house embodies. I wish she were able to transpose that to her RTW collections. And let's not event touch the menswear subject (she really might use some help there and scrap the male models on the couture runway altogether).

I suspend the subject on Chanel, VV only covered the usual tropes of the maison without really any substantial personal input. Let's give her time.

And, oh, Margiela. Can we stop pretending Galliano's work has anything to do with Margiela? I don't question his technical bravery, even if this time it felt a tad deja-vu. It's only that the link to the work of the house founder becomes thinner and thinner at every season.

p.s.: MGC's Dior deserves no more words other than what has already been said.

BEST
Fendi Couture: bold allure, contemporary spirit and design with a vintage flair, incredible lightness and gorgeous presentation overall.

RR331 by Ralph Rucci: classic old school Couture, timeless and a lot of charm. It was a very honest collection and it’s impossible to hate that.

Alexandre Vauthier: Not the most impressive in terms of clothes-making but I live the energy, the tailoring and because it actually stand-out during couture season, a great taste in fabrics selection and a great sophistication in the execution.

I liked Margiela even if I still don’t The get the project or whatever circus John is doing at that house.

WORST
Dior Couture: and endless parade of boring ballerina dresses in a impressive set. The only surprise this time (the house) was as ridiculous as her 700€ t-shirts.

Givenchy: despite the fabulous silver overcoat with the matching top (menswear), Clare still don’t have anything to say or to add at Givenchy. And the obvious copying...
In one month, everybody will forget that collection. They have Ariana Grande coming and a Onizuka Tiger collab on a way and I believe in October, it will be back to the 80’s.

DISAPPOINTMENT

Valentino Couture: the excess is getting old, it seems formulatic and calculated despite the exquisite craftmanship. It will be great to return to the spirit of Valentino, the spirit of Alta Moda.

Chanel Haute Couture: Liked it at first, disliked it as the days passed...
I’ll give time to Virginie to show her identity. She has that platform, she should go for it. I have big expectations for her RTW.

CLEVER AWARD of the season

Giambattista Valli... Who finally understood that it was exhausting to see his endless explosion of tulle every season on the runway and did a presentation. People were able to concentrate on the craftmanship of his clothes and forgot how tired they looked in motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->