Your solution for comfortable elegance

fashionista-ta

Reaction score
I've mentioned before that I'm working three days a week from home now, and I'm getting to a point where I want my everyday clothes to be a little more ... elegant. But I am unwilling to give up comfort in my own home. The issue is if I need to run out for something, I want to look good, without having to make a big production of changing into dressier clothes.

I bought some wide-leg velour pants, and they are very comfortable, but they are just not cutting it otherwise. They're not terrible, but neither are they great. Btw, jeans do not qualify as comfortable in my world--too seamy.

I need something better, and I'm hoping you brilliant people have some great suggestions for me :lol: Something for warmer weather at this point, as spring is on its way ...

Hey Fashionista-ta!

Try thinking of casual clothing as anything that is chic and comfortable, not just something you can lounge in at home. It used to be hard for me to get into the habit of getting dressed when I knew all I was going to be doing was studying in my room or in a library for 5 hours (in my college years). I learned though that there are several items that are very casual but chic! AND still amazingly comfortable- even more so than my favorite jeans.

Shop for jersey knit dresses. By long sleeve and layer with cardigans or layer thin tees underneath for the winter. I love Velvet by Graham Spencer and anything from American Apparrel! On my most casual days I wear a rich primary blue (color is important too) three quarter sleeve cotton jersey dress with a sweethart neckline, gray leggings by Tart and flat Cognac BCBG boots! To lounge around my house I wear and american apparel cotton pencil skirt (super comfortable and flexible with a tank and long cardigan). If I need to go out I just throw on a heeled or flat boot.

I've mentioned before that I'm working three days a week from home now, and I'm getting to a point where I want my everyday clothes to be a little more ... elegant. But I am unwilling to give up comfort in my own home. The issue is if I need to run out for something, I want to look good, without having to make a big production of changing into dressier clothes.

I bought some wide-leg velour pants, and they are very comfortable, but they are just not cutting it otherwise. They're not terrible, but neither are they great. Btw, jeans do not qualify as comfortable in my world--too seamy.

I need something better, and I'm hoping you brilliant people have some great suggestions for me :lol: Something for warmer weather at this point, as spring is on its way ...

One dreads to suggest leggings as they are either met with great enthusiasm or disgust,but they're winners for me. I'm not a trouser girl,but leggings with shorts/skirt/dress etc work a treat.

^ Thanks for the ideas, JATE and dumbfairy :flower:

I have had comfortable cotton knit dresses in the past, but don't have anything like that in my wardrobe right now. Somehow my clothes have gotten more structured ... You've reminded me of a dress I had in college, teal cotton knit with I believe a henley neck. I used to tie different scarves around the waist ... but it was super comfortable. I was also thinking a striped cotton knit skirt might be good ...

I'd thought about leggings actually ... I wore them the first time around & don't have any now, but they would probably be perfect for converting cotton knits bought for summer to something suitable for cooler weather ...

Keep the good ideas coming :wink:

My recommendations would be:

- Seamless underwear like the Secret Embrace series by Victoria's Secret. No scratching laces or seams, great fit and invisible under the clothes.

- A pair of great flat boots - buy them half a size bigger, so you can have a soft insole and/or thick soft socks (only if you are leaving in a cold place of course :lol:).

- Highwaisted pants - much more comfortable and flattering not least if you have a sitting work.

- Wrap dresses - so easy to dress up and down - you practically only need to change shoes.

- Harem pants - they don't look to much like lounge wear if you wear them with a small jacket.

- The classical cardigan twin set.

Cotton dresses are great, especially if you're a go-to girl and don't have time to mess with more delicate fabrics. With the warm weather coming up, cotton day dresses, a-line skirts, a simple cotton blouse would be a great staple and they don't cost as much.

What's more elegant than sensual lingerie? Victoria's Secret and Bali are my favorites. Lace and silk bras, panties and nightgowns are an easy way to make yourself feel glamorous at home either for you, or for your special other.

Of course when it comes to elegance, it probably includes tortuous stilettos. It doesn't always have that painful. There are many types of heels out there that are meant to be comfortable even for long hour days. For less formal days, a nice sandal with jeweled embellishments would be fantastic.

You will also need a nice bag. The bag needs to be proportionate to your size, first of all. I am a fan of crocodile or python print handbags, there's something really elegant about them, and they're suitable for for casual outings. For more formal elegance, I would suggest a clutch.
:flower:

Since jeans are out of the question, a pair of chinos could be softer alternative for a classical and casual trouser. I like to get them from the mens section and wear them a bit loose, because I like the look, but the looseness adds comfort too I suppose.

I must admit that I have worn my pilates pants to class with a long sleeved tee, black patent ballerinas and a dressy brown leather bag. They look a lot like harem pants though. I even wear tights under them for maximum comfort and minimum cold :lol:

I've always loved scoop-neck cotton tops and a casual just-above-knee-length (or shorter if you prefer) skirt for spring. With flats, or simple heel; if it is at all possible finding them comfy ^_^ And maybe a simple, thin gold necklace, just to add a bit more elegance.

http://www.garancedore.fr/2008/10/10/less-is-more/
^ This woman (in the black) really defines comfortable elegance I think. Just maybe not the heels :P

- Seamless underwear like the Secret Embrace series by Victoria's Secret. No scratching laces or seams, great fit and invisible under the clothes.
what an awesome idea

i was just about to suggest underwear..
the kind of tights cyclists use
it's full body-length..
i love feeling my body when i am walking. it is so comfortable
so it doesn't really matter what i wear on top of it..

i believe i saw this a lot on the runway lately actually.
calvin klein had skin tight shirts worn underneath suits,they were sheer (fw 08)
and on the adidas website, they have Yohji Yamamoto's designs, with stretchy fitted coloured material underneath and then looseness/loose jackets, coats capes worn floating on top.. really love this look especially with a turtle neck peeping through

maybe i'm crazy but i ALWAYS feel comfortable when i'm dressed up :lol: if i'm dressed down, i can't stand it. the fit must be perfect!

Well for me, it depends what I'm doing and where I'm sitting. I have quite a high desk, and my stool has a large seat, but no back so I like to sit cross legged which rules out my skinny jeans. I tend to have one or two "go to" outfits that I think are chic but comfortable. For me, it's often an interesting tee (ie right now I have a vintage St. Pauli tee with a big skull and cross bones on it that is my boyfriend's so it's quite slouchy but I like vintage university tee's as well, etc.) over skinny jeans, with a blazer or leather jacket, girlish shoes, and my Muse. That way, I'm mixing dressier elements (the shoes and the bag) with more dressed down elements. However, this may be a bit "young" for what you want.

Why not a pair of comfortable leggings, a longer tunic kind of shirt that comes about mid-thigh and a great pair of flat boots? I think you really can't go wrong with this sort of combination.

I also work from home a lot of the time, and I tend to like things I can layer on top of leggings and long sleeved tees.

One of my favorites is a long traditional dress from Cameroon which I wear year-round: with cashmere in winter and tanktops in the summer. I also like loose/oversized tunics or cardigans on top, with knee length jersey skirts or long flowy skirts on the bottom. I also wear yoga pants, but haven't managed to feel very elegant in them...

Another approach altogether is to enjoy wearing something you would never wear out: that might be a bright kaftan for some people, or a sexy bra peeking under a cashmere cardigan, what I just did last week :ninja:

cotton top and knit miniskirt (a line). you can even sitting crosslegged if u want to.

^ That is exactly what I want to do :wink:

Thanks for all the great ideas :flower: Now for a spare moment to go shopping ...

Melisande, I'm curious about what a traditional dress from Cameroon looks like ...

i have one word for you...

knits...:P

i strive for all my clothes to as comfortable as pajamas...
and knits really fit the bill...
**jersey is the elegant grown up version of a knit and has all the same benefits ...

jersey slacks with a tunic top are comfy and stylish and you can pretty much go anywhere comfortably in an outfit like this...
plus you can always find these at a friendly pricepoint since they are pretty basic and easy to manufacture at a low cost...
i've gotten them at H&M and from norma kamali for speigel...super versatile...

customize/personalise with accessories of your choosing..
:flower:

i also like loose fitting babydoll dresses which might as well be little nightgowns...
^_^...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always want to be comfortable when I work at home too and I thought jeans didn´t quite fit the bill, but then once I had no other choice and I actually got used to them! I realised it was all in my head, I just got used to the idea that I have to wear tracksuits to be comfortable at home. And as Meg so wonderfully said, a cute tee on top, blazer, nice boots or balerinnas and you are good to go immediately.
Also for summers I feel really comfortable as well as very sexy in those long skirts for oriental dancing :smile: with a tank top

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->