Yves Saint Laurent Collaspes on a Paris Street

fashionicon

Reaction score
YvesBig_228x173.jpg

Yves Saint Laurent collapsed on a Paris street today

This picture of a Paris street shows leading fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent collapsed in the road outside his boutique, just hours after his latest catwalk triumph.

After celebrities like Victoria Beckham and Katie Holmes had applauded his YSL label's latest creations during his show at the French capital's fashion week, the 70-year fell down in Avenue Montaigne, close to the Champs Elysee.

Aides rushed to help the 70-year-old, pictured lying next to his black Mercedes.

It follows increasing concerns about the multi-millionaire's health after a lifetime of high living involving drink, drugs and numerous glamorous girfriends.

"Yves collapsed suddenly and without warning," said an onlooker.

"Yves never looks super healthy at the best of times, but this came as a real shock."

"It was nasty fall. Medics arrived very quickly and he was rushed away for treatment. We are just hoping that he is going to be all right."

Laurent, who was born in Algeria when it was a French colony, left home at the age of 17 to work for the designer Christian Dior before setting up his own label YSL, based on his intitials.

During the 1960s and 70s he become synonymous with trends including the beatnik look and tweed suits.

Shortly after his early successes he was conscripted into the French army during the Algerian war of independence.

But after just 20 days of active service he was institutionalised in a mental hospital where he underwent psychiatric treatment including electroshock therapy for a nervous breakdown.

He has since suffered with a number of ailments including depression, often brought on by alcohol and drug abuse.

While the YSL house no longer exists, the brand still survives through its parent company Gucci.

He announced his retirement from the fashion industry after 40 years in 2002.

He revealed that his decision was based on a disgust with an industry that had become ruled more by commercial gain than art.

"I have nothing in common with this new world of fashion, which has been reduced to mere window-dressing," he said.

"Elegance and beauty have been banished."

The label's show on Thursday night was considered a highlight of this year's Paris Fashion Week.

Source: ohnotheydidnt.com

:cry:

It would be bad if such an icon would hurt himself on the street. He's great.

as the most annoying advert says .. were there is blame there is a claim ..

ok so that was inapropiate off me to joke .. but thats the first thing that came into my mind.

I hope hes ok .. i hate to think of people being in pain :cry:

- msn.com
Phew. .

Fashion legend Yves Saint-Laurent is recovering at home after apparently collapsing in a Paris street.
The 70-year-old saw a doctor after the fall but did not require hospital treatment.
Photographs taken at the scene show the fashion designer being carried away on a stretcher with a head wound.
Robin Fournier-Bergmann, spokesman for the Yves Saint-Laurent Foundation, denied local reports that the haute couture king suffered a stroke.
"He is resting at home and everything is fine," Mr Fournier-Bergmann said.
"He fell down in the street in Paris. He wasn't injured - I spoke to him and everything is fine. There is no worry. He just fell down.
The fall happened on the Avenue Montaigne in Paris.

wow...
i had no idea he had such a complicated history....
wishing him well....:flower:

aww the poor hun! wish him well! must have been so stressed :s

Aww I love him. My all time favourite designer! I hope he is doing well now!

I am glad that he is recooperating. I don't like hearing about old men falling down. It happened to my grandpa once, so it makes me sad. :(

I was sad to hear about this. :cry: I really hope he will make a full recovery.

SiennaInLondon said:
Oh no! So war made him ill? Another tick in my pro-pacifism book.

I'm seriously starting to lean that way as well. I known from a recent personal exprience the effect war and intense training can do on someone. :angry:

Anyway, I'm glad that he's doing fine! :D

OMG< that is seriously sucky, i hate it when i faint, it is so embarrassing

xxilovepinkxx said:
OMG< that is seriously sucky, i hate it when i faint, it is so embarrassing

Good Lord, I hope you don't faint often! That is more frightening than embarrassing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->