Zhang Zhaoda

SomethingElse

Press escape to continue.
Reaction score
Zhang Zhaoda's yearly fashion show is one of a special few local designers' presentations that will excite the media.

This year, Zhang dazzles people with his new collection, "Xi Shuang Ban Na" (a place name from Yunnan Province) during the 2006 Shanghai International Fashion festival.

Following his traditional style, the spirit of his works ingeniously makes the most of woman's feminine charms, with refinement, elegance, fantasy and luxury.

The designer said his inspiration for this collection came from a journey sketching in Xi Shuang Ban Na.

"The green bamboos spread their greenery into my heart. I think my dreams and soul used to float here: The elephants, peacocks, bamboo pavilions and forests were so romantic... I was totally drunk," he wrote in his essay.

So luxurious brocades and silks, rich fringes, flying butterflies and colourful peacock feathers are all details appearing in Zhang's new collection, which was on stage at Donghua University last Friday.

Zhang applies water-like ripples in the fabrics, along with rich ruffles and multi-layered skirts to reflect the romantic and colourful theme.

Bio of Zhang Zhaoda

Chairman of the Joint Committee for Mark Cheung Group Ltd
Vice-chairman of China Association of Fashion Design
Chairman of the China Fashion Committee of Asia Fashion Union

Achievements of Zhang Zhaoda

2001: Awarded "China Famous Master Medal" by the Chinese Association of Fashion and Chinese Association of Fashion Designers
1997: Won the Gold Medal presented by the Chinese Association of Fashion Designers and French Labour Union of High Grade Fashion
1995: Awarded the first "China Ten Excellent Fashion Design" prize
1991: Founded the brand "Mark Cheung"

W020061205499441032449.jpg
W020061205499441653824.jpg
W020061205499442120465.jpg

life.jpg
xinsimple_0220403040909671296063.jpg
373189.jpg

373174.jpg
373178.jpg
373186.jpg

2006-3-23_499.jpg

en.tibet.cn . chinadaily.com.cn . news.xinhuanet.com . images.china.cn . shanghai-star.com.cn

the black bag with golden studs is straight from the LV boutique.

Thank you for bringing this in, SomethingElse! I adore to see non-Western fashion designers' work here.

However, I am not at all impressed by these outfits. It looks like the stuff in those small "bazaars" which sell fake Louis Vuitton and "sexy" garments, usually see-through and constructed from synthetic material.

You are welcome, WhiteLinen! I am curious about established works coming out of countries outside the EU/US stream. I am no officianada when it comes to fashion design so I appreciate that in presenting such an accepted designer, I learn that the work is not entirely original. That, in itself, is interesting.

In my gallery wanderings, I am always drawn by the fabrics and structures from Asian artists, both contemporary and historic. One of the things I liked about ZZ's work is the laying and tiers of texture enhanced in the way the fabrics are stitched. In the pieces I posted, I liked the air of gold with shimmers of garden colors detailed in the fabric.

But to really wear this work, I'd need to have different skin color because I would be lost in the dresses! They are too busy to be practical, and too shiny to allow me to surface from so many levels of fabric without heaping on a ton of tanning hours and makeup. :yuk: And I'm such a practical girl... :flower:

A few more images... from 2002.

p513.jpg
p514.jpg

p511.jpg
p512.jpg

By Xu Xiaomin , Shanghai Star. 2005-04-21

IF China was looking for domestic fashion designers comparable to the haute couturiers in Paris, Zhang Zhaoda would definitely be on the list.

His show, titled "Sounds of Nature, Garments of Rain", is the biggest and most flamboyant show in this year's Shanghai International Fashion Festival.

Zhang Zhaoda always provides a highlight of the catwalk. He shows his strength and magic at Donghua University on April 14.

As one of the most influential Chinese fashion designers today, Zhang draws inspiration from history and fantasy. On this occasion his collection is inspired by Southeast China's romantic landscape, in the rain. Water, black tiles, zigzag lanes and flowers provide crucial motifs.

Multiple layers and rich pleats are employed to create a sense of luxury and elegance.

Compounding Chinese elements into his designs, Zhang does not simply imitate ancient styles, but blends traditional sensibility and details in the material used, the cutting and the accessories.

Zhang was born in a small town called Shaxi in South China's Guangdong Province in 1961. At the age of 10 he began learning oil painting and started his voyage into art.

In 1997, he was elected as the first fashion designer to win the Golden Crown Award, the highest prize awarded in China's fashion industry.

He continues to expand his business in the fashion field following the creation of his own brand - Mark.Cheung. He also launched a men's label, "Fair Whale", in 2000, followed by a youthful Fair Whale casual range, a women's collection called "Lazenel" and the bath and home collection Sunvim & Mark.

21-21-01.jpg

chinatoday.com.cn . chinadaily.com.cn

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's illuminating. Because? Are there any designers in China that you do like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->