MET Costume Institute Gala 2015: "China: Through the Looking Glass"

When will the list be released detailing all the attendees and their looks? It's only a month away.

^ There is never a list of confirmed guests until the day of the Gala.

^ There is never a list of confirmed guests until the day of the Gala.

Truth.

But - to my delight - Karolina Kurkova posted on her instagram a pic from last year's MET Gala and asked her followers who we guessed she'd be wearing at this year's event.

So she'll definitely be in attendance (not that I would have thought otherwise) and I'll be soooo excited to see what she wears, as KK pretty much always slays that red carpet. #bringinthedrama

I'm actually quite looking forward to this. I just keep on thinking about Dries van Noten's latest show and how it is inspired of the east yet it didn't have any stereotypical pieces.

I'm sure more than a few will have a great sense of who they are and incorporate that with what they will wear.

So basically this is just an exhibition of one of the countless ways (white) Westerners have exploited Asia.

I get that the "looking glass" basically means Western perspectives, but at the very least they could have included traditional Chinese garments from actual Chinese designers to showcase the actual inspiration for the Western designs.

???

All the releases, interviews, and pictures show that original Chinese designs and sources of inspirations will be VERY present throughout the exhibit.

For example:
"Chinese opera is another theme to be explored in the museum’s Astor Court via performer Mei Lanfang, the inspiration behind John Galliano’s spring 2003 Christian Dior couture show. Several looks from that collection will be shown alongside Mei’s original opera costumes."

One of the earliest pieces in the exhibit will be from seventeenth century China.

And as clothing is not the only inspirations designers draw upon (for example the porcelain inspired dresses from McQueen, Cavalli, and Chanel), Chinese artworks, films, and artifacts will also on view with the looks to show their inspirations.

I am now looking forward to this exhibit after reading the description and seeing the photos. The Gala is a fun kick off but it's always been about the exhibit for me. Whether it is culturally sound is for each to decide but it will fantastic to see these incredible designs in person. Many of which I have admired for years.,

I really want Victoria Beckham to rock up in that Roberto Cavalli Porcelain dress in a fabulous re-run-esq way.

9837212-7.jpg

netdna-cdn.com

When will the list be released detailing all the attendees and their looks? It's only a month away.

MTI5NjM2NTI0MjE5MjIyMDI2.jpg

fashionista.com

Celebrities: Seth Meyers, James Corden, Harvey Weinstein, Jessica Chastain, Bradley Cooper, Benedict Cumberbatch, Claire Danes, Hugh Dancy, Colin Firth, Livia Firth, Neil Patrick Harris, Anne Hathaway, Ethan Hawke, Dakota Johnson, Spike Jonze, Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds, Baz Luhrmann, Sienna Miller, Julianne Moore, Carey Mulligan, Marcus Mumford, Rita Ora, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Katy Perry, Eddie Redmayne, Rihanna, Amanda Seyfried, Ivanka Trump, Florence Welch, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, Allison Williams, Reese Witherspoon

Models: Cara Delevingne, Karlie Kloss

Designers: Christopher Bailey, Tory Burch, Sarah Burton, Georgina Chapman, Kenneth Cole, Maria Grazia Chiuri & Pierpaolo Piccioli, Peter Copping, Francisco Costa, Domenico Dolce, Stefano Gabbana, Alber Elbaz, Alberta Ferretti, Tom Ford, Valentino Garavani, Nicolas Ghesquiere, Lazaro Hernandez, Carolina Herrera, Dee and Tommy Hilfiger, Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Michael Kors, Karl Lagerfeld, Derek Lam, Ralph Lauren, Jenna Lyons, Stella McCartney, Alasdhair Willis, Jack McCollough, Tamara Mellon, Gilles Mendel, Marcus Wainwright, Ashley Olsen, Mary-Kate Olsen, Thakoon Panichgul, Zac Posen, Miuccia Prada, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane, Riccardo Tisci, Giambattista Valli, Dries Van Noten, Donatella Versace, Diane von Furstenberg, Alexander Wang, Vera Wang, David Neville, Jason Wu

Other industry figures: Hamish Bowles, Bianca Brandolini, Claire Courtin-Clarins, Jenna Courtin-Clarins, Prisca Courtin-Clarins, Virginie Courtin-Clarins, Domenico De Sole, Millard Drexler, Sylvana Ward Durrett, Sir Phillip Green, Aerin Lauder, Lauren Bush Lauren, David Lauren, Catherine Martin, Pat McGrath, Andrew Rosen, Pierre-Yves Roussel, Lauren Santo Domingo, Bee Shaffer, Plum Sykes, Andre Leon Talley, Mario Testino, Gucci Westman, Dasha Zhukova, Veronica Chou

http://fashionista.com/2015/04/met-g...host-committee

I only care for Chastain and Moore... but still very curious and expectant of the event :smile:

Where are Nicole, Charlize, Gwyneth, Lupita? I want to see these women on the red carpet.

I find it hilarious that the, of the models, Karlie and Cara are the only ones listed as attendees. I know for a fact that Karolina Kurkova will be there again (she tweeted a pic of her in her gorgeous gown from last year and asked her followers, "Who do you think I'll be wearing at this year's MET Gala?").

wow thats some diverse list! Nice to see the fashion industry embracing diversity as always

^ That is actually a list of "official hosts", not a guest list. It happens every year that people confuse it. Its about 80% accurte, but alot of those names also end up not going to the Gala. So its far from confirmation.

Anyone can tell me the exact day of the Red Carpet Event? It is May 7?

Angelica Cheung invited Zhang Ziyi, Li Bingbing, Fan Bingbing, Zhao Wei, Wu Yifan, Chen Kun, Rain and Sun Feifei to attend the MET Gala this year.

J.Lo is also on the list, she will wear Atelier Versace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->