Embrace the death of cheap chic

It's true...I haven't bought any clothes since I bought those ones because the ethical cost is too high and I can't bear it on my conscience anymore.

Not all inexpensive clothes are made using bad practices ... given your level of concern, you might want to make inquiries about the individual companies you are considering patronizing ...

I'm in Auckland so there's only one company that makes cheap clothes, The Warehouse...very bad quality and I doubt they use good practices at all. Although if somebody wants to correct me on that I"d be happy to check out the correction..

Not all inexpensive clothes are made using bad practices ... given your level of concern, you might want to make inquiries about the individual companies you are considering patronizing ...

I don't know if you were personally offended by the truths of what missakura said, because it definitely seems like it. Or maybe you just shop at Primark often and don't want to realize that your benefits rest in the hands of other people being treated badly? Whether that's the case or not, maybe you shouldn't just assume that we don't know what we're talking about.

She was referring to Primark, which is infamous for slave labour:
http://peopleandplanet.org/navid3791

Google "primark sweatshop" for more.

what are other inexpensive brands besides american apparel? besides shopping second hand, i have yet to find a brand/label that is accessible, inexspensive and ethical.

I don't know if you were personally offended by the truths of what missakura said, because it definitely seems like it. Or maybe you just shop at Primark often and don't want to realize that your benefits rest in the hands of other people being treated badly? Whether that's the case or not, maybe you shouldn't just assume that we don't know what we're talking about.

She was referring to Primark, which is infamous for slave labour:
http://peopleandplanet.org/navid3791

Google "primark sweatshop" for more.

toddiot (interesting choice of username, btw), I gather you haven't seen my other posts re ethical issues.

I am certainly not offended by what missakura said. I know that she has a tendency to agonize over ethical issues, whereas most people have a tendency not to give them the first thought. We all do have to wear clothes, though--at least where I live it's the law :wink: I was just making a suggestion for when she is left with the choice of going shopping or breaking the law :D

As shown with my username, I live in the US and am not familiar with Primark as it doesn't operate where I live. You have incorrectly assumed that I assumed missakura didn't know what she was talking about :blink:

As far as ethical companies, these US companies seem to have good business practices from what I know:

bluecanoe.com
gaiam.com
patagonia.com

fashionista-ta, it seems this whole debate was one big misunderstanding, and I apologize for assuming you assumed something you actually didn't :smile:

I actually thought (ok, assumed) Primark was American... I'm not entirely sure why.

Thanks about my username =)

Lovely thread. I know it's been said but I just want to reiterate - People need to stop buying for the sake of buying. I notice that this is one thing I need to stop doing as well. I almost never try on clothes I actually buy, which is horrible. Everyone should try on clothes and not rely how it looks on the model, because most of us aren't models. We should all invest in clothes that will be worn as long as possible, no matter what the price may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wxzaqk
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->