Louis Vuitton F/W 12.13 Paris

hmmm it's a nice collection I suppose. I'm sort of indifferent, or well I'm not in love with it but I don't hate it. great makeup though.. and interesting detail on the buttons.

They produced a great spectacle, coherent with the heritage of Louis Vuitton. I literally got shivers when I saw that train arriving a ladies and their valet getting out. That was wonderful.

But now, regarding the collection, nothing really jumped to my eyes. I found it all very Prada-esque and it bothered me.

I can't wait for the campaign now!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing that I found kept distracting me was the huge similarity it had to Prada, the shoes, the styling, the lack of dresses... imitation is the highest form of flattery, but Katie's obsession with Miuccia is going a step too far.

Your point isn't even factually correct. Look again. There are dresses.

There are a couple of elements of similarity. But you haven't identified them.

And your conclusion just doesn't bear scrutiny. The similarities are far outweighed by the differences. The collections are totally different sartorial languages. But by all means have another go at better explaining what you're seeing.

^I was making a vague reference to the collection, a portion slightly over exaggerated, But I wouldn't of assumed I needed to write an essay on why I think the similarities occurred, but gladly you can think exactly what you like, go ahead.

The one thing that I found kept distracting me was the huge similarity it had to Prada, the shoes, the styling, the lack of dresses... imitation is the highest form of flattery, but Katie's obsession with Miuccia is going a step too far.

Indeed, that was the first thing I thought too.

Meanwhile, I'm really liking this a lot. The coats and the general silhouette look lovely, I also really love the hats, plus most of the bags are beyond desirable :heart:

There's also the giant pailletes, the A-line and the distinctive Prada-esque underlayer of cropped pants beneath long coat-dresses and skirts. Merge these with the period Marc Jacobs collection with their portrait collars, slap on lots of giant old-fashioned jeweled buttons, and voila, LV Fall/Winter.

I suppose no one read my comment:

Agreed 100%. This felt like His own show in NY and Prada merged into one collection. I don't particularly enjoy pointing fingers but his references couldn't be any more obvious. It's as if he takes a Prada collection and exaggerates it ten fold to a point where it's almost unrecognizable yet the base and inspiration is still visible. It's incredibly annoying.

^ I third that, it is annoying, but then there are some nice pieces in there, just as a whole i dont appreciate this collection.

The whole "he's copying Prada" thing has gotten tired. Marc has had this retro ragamuffin vision forever. Both he and Miuccia reference the same periods in history over and over. I'm not sure why it's viewed only as "Miuccia's style" when it's clear both she and Marc are drawing water from the same well.

I don't care if this looks a lot like Prada as everyone is saying I adored it :blush:

When I saw the train roll in and all the models on board, I knew we were in for a treat. I love how it's a more cleaned up version of his mainline collection because while I liked that one as well, it didn't have much taste. I loved all the coats and maxi-dresses over pants, they were all embellished but didn't feel weighted down or heavy like Prada's did (which was another problem I had with her collection) And don't even get me started on her shoes :heart: They were perfect.

Marc sure knows how to put on a show, all the girls getting off the train and being accompanied by men carrying their bags. It all had an old school charm to it, and I am happy we have people like Marc to perk up an otherwise lukewarm season :smile:

I suppose no one read my comment:

No, we usually wander in and out of threads and react to the latest posts. Also, the poster asked for *specifics*, so my post was about what exactly were similar, different from your comment.

Back to the thread, MJ has been "creative" in the past in referencing Comme des Garcons, specifically, the collection with the multlple garments fused together. Picking up techniques, concepts and ideas isn't something that I mind terribly if it results in an original and attractive collection, eg., Baptista re Balenciaga and made it part of his own, but Prada's collection have at least great looking outfits unlike this vintage dowdiness.

There's also the giant pailletes, the A-line and the distinctive Prada-esque underlayer of cropped pants beneath long coat-dresses and skirts. Merge these with the period Marc Jacobs collection with their portrait collars, slap on lots of giant old-fashioned jeweled buttons, and voila, LV Fall/Winter.

A person must be truly oblivious if they don't understand the obvious similarities. Of course it's not a carbon copy, but it's basically blanketing a reference with a layer of camoflouge weather it be from his own show or Miuccia's, in this case both.

A person must be truly oblivious if they don't understand the obvious similarities. Of course it's not a carbon copy, but it's basically blanketing a reference with a layer of camoflouge weather it be from his own show or Miuccia's, in this case both.

Agreed absolutely. ^_^ Plus, the dowdiness came from Marc Jacobs' collection, as Prada's version was sharper and cooler.

I don't want to sound harsh, but he's paid millions and has a wealth of resources at his disposal, lots of hands, he has to do better.

Is it just me, or can I see a inspiration from that movie Changeling from 2008?
I like it!
And i like the all collection... it is something that u don't like when u see, but... u will like in the future!!
Good job sir Jacobs!

The whole "he's copying Prada" thing has gotten tired. Marc has had this retro ragamuffin vision forever. Both he and Miuccia reference the same periods in history over and over. I'm not sure why it's viewed only as "Miuccia's style" when it's clear both she and Marc are drawing water from the same well.

I 100% agree. Miuccia didn't corner the market on references.

Ugly hats, the return!
It's like Marc Jacobs didn't have enough time to show everything on his own show so he put the rest in LV collection. Some pieces are nice but... that's all imo.

It's like he brought all the ugly from New York to play with all the ugly in Paris...seriously, though, WTF is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suchitha
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->