F/W 2023.24 & Cruise 2024 Open Discussion Thread

Frederic01

Reaction score
Gucci will stage a mens show during the Milan Mens Fashion Week.

Gucci to Uncouple Coed Shows, Return to Milan Men’s Fashion Week

After seasons of coed shows, the brand is returning to Milan Men’s Fashion Week running Jan. 13 to 17.

OCTOBER 25, 2022, 10:36AM

backstage-at-gucci-rtw-ss2023-024.jpeg
Backstage at Gucci RTW Spring 2023 VANNI BASSETTI/WWD

GOING SOLO: Gucci is following in the footsteps of some fellow luxury players announcing it will uncouple its men’s and women’s shows. The luxury house is expected to return to showing menswear designed by creative director Alessandro Michele on the runway as part of Milan Fashion Week, running Jan. 13 to 17.
WWD

Prefall in 2 months…
Oh that makes sense. I tend to forget prefall exists because only Chanel and Dior actually do shows for that season. If I remember correctly, most brands just do a small presentation adjacent to the Men's shows in January.

wow that's revolutionary. I see a lot of brands maybe doing this too in the future, it makes sense that Gucci is the trailblazer. I see maybe Loweve and Louis Vuitton.

wow that's revolutionary. I see a lot of brands maybe doing this too in the future, it makes sense that Gucci is the trailblazer. I see maybe Loweve and Louis Vuitton.
Neither of those brands do co-ed shows though. Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta could do with that approach though.

Neither of those brands do co-ed shows though. Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta could do with that approach though.
I was just referring that I thought they had the potential to do co-ed shows with the style of garments and attention to innovation rather than form of the model when focusing on design Loweve has. Thinking back to the past season where they focused on using pants and nature within their design. I think if Louis Vuitton did it it would be more about the press it would bring to them. I could see Balenciaga taking it on too in the future most of their silhouettes aren't exclusively feminine in the Womenswear shows.

Jacquemus "Le Raphia" show in Paris on December 12th (3rd slide).

^Much ado about nothing

Perfect summation of this brand from its inception.

And perfect summation of all these shows— from Gucci to Chanel in this era: They all look the same, with the same gormless headcount, same outlet-vibe and all devoid of any personality and individuality. Once upon a time when I was a teen in the 90s, I dreamt of attending these shows: Helmut, Gaultier, Prada, Gucci, Calvin, Galliano, McQueen… The sheer force of will and distinct personal vision swept the audience to another place, another time, and even new worlds. I wouldn’t attend any of these shows if I were invited in 2022. No distinction, no vision, no personality and no POV anymore. Maybe Demna’s Balenciaga, Anthony’s SL and Hedi’s Celine being the exception in terms of making the effort for an individual POV— but even these 3 are hardly consistent and creatively innovative. Just… a tad above the soulless headcount marching merch of everyone else.

Perfect summation of this brand from its inception.

And perfect summation of all these shows— from Gucci to Chanel in this era: They all look the same, with the same gormless headcount, same outlet-vibe and all devoid of any personality and individuality. Once upon a time when I was a teen in the 90s, I dreamt of attending these shows: Helmut, Gaultier, Prada, Gucci, Calvin, Galliano, McQueen… The sheer force of will and distinct personal vision swept the audience to another place, another time, and even new worlds. I wouldn’t attend any of these shows if I were invited in 2022. No distinction, no vision, no personality and no POV anymore. Maybe Demna’s Balenciaga, Anthony’s SL and Hedi’s Celine being the exception in terms of making the effort for an individual POV— but even these 3 are hardly consistent and creatively innovative. Just… a tad above the soulless headcount marching merch of everyone else.
How do you think fashion could get that personal distinct vision back? How could a budding designer push against this era of nothingness?

^^^ I’d love for a student to ask An Vandevorst and Flip Arickx this.

Frankly, it doesn’t seem like individuality and a strict, distinct vision of fashion/presentation/campaign is encouraged these days: The fashion climate is too sociopolitically-charged and mired by the commonality of SM-meddling to nurture any sense of individuality. The very fact that there’s an entire population of commoners-- with no interest in fashion, dictating the standards of fashion in itself is enough of fascist oppression. PC-showmanship of the most gimmicky brand is favoured over craftsmanship, construction and tailoring in this era. Potential creatives would need to be weened off the mentality of relying on SM-approval and popularity first, in order to dedicate themselves to their craft, then having the conviction to forge out their own distinction. And that’s such an uphill challenge and addiction to overcome even for the established names and brands— I can’t imagine how a newcomer could ever be inspired to break out from such overwhelming creative oppression.

List of upcoming December/January shows:

Dior: December 3, Cairo (already happened, but I included it for completion purposes)
Chanel: December 6, Dakar
Céline: December 8, Los Angeles
Armani: December 10, St. Moritz
Jacquemus: December 12, Paris

Also YSL is returning to the men's schedule.

List of upcoming December/January shows:

Dior: December 3, Cairo (already happened, but I included it for completion purposes)
Chanel: December 6, Dakar
Céline: December 8, Los Angeles
Armani: December 10, St. Moritz
Jacquemus: December 12, Paris

Also YSL is returning to the men's schedule.
Chanel is on Dec 8th.

Chanel is on Dec 8th.

The dates are always so confusing with Chanel, because the actual show happens days before and then the official video gets released days later? Why? The show already happened, it makes no sense?

HARPERS BAZAAR HK

The dates are always so confusing with Chanel, because the actual show happens days before and then the official video gets released days later? Why? The show already happened, it makes no sense?

HARPERS BAZAAR HK

The norm amongst larger houses is that there's two versions of the runway video: the VOD and the director's cut.

The VOD (video on demand) is the archived video of the livestream, that is made and distributed as the show happens. The first thirty minutes of the guests arriving may be cut out, but the video is otherwise left raw. The VOD "democratises" the runway experience, but they can be difficult to watch is the runway is more than a straight line.

The director's cut is essentially all of the best shots of the show (including those of the VOD) trimmed, spliced and stitched into a finished, seamless, more watchable video. It also allows them to edit out any incidents (trips, falls, protests) that can happen during these shows and reduce walking time if the show is really long.

Here's a example of the VOD of Courrèges SS'22:
And here's the director's cut of the same show:
Chanel has streamed their shows a couple of times in 2020, but prefers to jump straight to the director's cut to allow Walter Films (the video production company) the time to put a better video.

thanks for the explanation, I was confused too, i thought the Dec 6 was for the rehearsal and taking the video, as YSL did last July.

Marni is showing in Tokyo on February 1.
EXCLUSIVE: Marni to Stage Show in Tokyo on Feb. 1

Confirming a WWD report, creative director Francesco Risso and CEO Barbara Calò discuss the brand's links with Japan and its growing business in that market.

By LUISA ZARGANI

DECEMBER 13, 2022, 12:01AM

MILAN — Francesco Risso is gearing up to unveil his fall 2023 collection for Marni in Tokyo, the creative director of the Italian brand said in an exclusive interview.

This confirms a WWD report from October.

The show will be held on Feb. 1 at 8 p.m. local time.

“A year ago, I decided to stage a series of traveling shows with our team and a crew of musicians to bring energy to different cities and give back to our friends and communities around the world,” said Risso. “But these are not repeat shows,” he underscored.

Risso emphasized that the goal is “to be present in the epicenters of our communities and not in some remote or isolated place.” The show is expected to accommodate around 2,500 guests.

To be sure, Japan is historically one of Marni’s most important markets. In a joint interview with Risso, chief executive officer Barbara Calò said that Marni in 2022 is expected to report a 30 percent increase in sales in Japan compared with 2021 and over the past few days, data show an overachievement compared to forecasts.

Japan accounts for 23 percent of total sales, said the executive.

Marni in 2022 is seeing a 31 percent increase in global revenues compared with 2021, but Calò declined to provide a figure for worldwide sales ahead of the official disclosure at the end of the fiscal year. This is expected in the first quarter of 2023.

Parent company OTB does not break out revenues by brands, but market sources peg Marni sales in 2021 to total more than 220 million euros.

Calò attributed the brand’s global growth to a strong performance in all categories, noting that the gains are achieved “in a healthy way.”

“I like this balance, there is no fear that we are relying on a single bag,” said Risso, smiling.

A Marni branch in Japan opened in 2000 and there are currently 28 points of sale in the country: two freestanding stores, 23 shops-in-shop and three outlets.

A second flagship in Tokyo will open within the next two years, following a first unit in Omotesando that dates back to 2019, continued Calò. The plan is to roll out Risso’s new store concept, first unveiled in Milan on Via Montenapoleone during the Salone del Mobile in June, emphasizing the locations as creative hubs and the brand’s links to art.

Marni is available in department stores ranging from Isetan to Takashimaya, positioned on the luxury floors, underscored Calò, noting that the spaces in these stores are being expanded to give more visibility to all Marni categories.

Business is surely a consideration, but Risso also emphasized the strong influence the country and its culture have on his design sensibility.

“I finally managed to return to Japan a month ago and once again it was a very pleasant and enlightening trip,” said Risso, who before the pandemic used to travel to the country two or three time times a year, “also for research and to meet people. I have strong ties to Japan.” He said he is “in love with 1960s Tokyo architecture.”

Risso staged his first show for Marni in New York in September, during the city’s fashion week, and he said that the goal with the show in Tokyo will be “to celebrate that location, as we did in New York. We don’t want to be disassociated with the city.”

New York was the first leg of a series of traveling shows. Risso said that he has planned four, but that he still does not know the cities where the next two shows will be staged. The idea is to return to show in Milan in 2024, where the brand is based, and when the brand will celebrate its 30th anniversary.

The Marni show in New York was held under the Joralemon Tunnel in Brooklyn, which had a high-wattage front row, including Madonna, Kendall Jenner, Doja Cat and James Harden, among others, and was set to music by Dev Hynes and The String Orchestra of Brooklyn.

Hynes will perform in Tokyo, too, but Risso will also include collaborators, artists and musicians from Japan “by osmosis, in a strong interaction and exchange,” he said. Although he is keeping the name of the location under wraps at the moment, he said it has “a deep connection with the creativity of the collection.” As he did in New York, Risso will ask friends of the house to also walk the runway with models.

Traveling allows him to “learn about the culture of different countries, create strong relationships and understand what people are attracted to. I’ve always been fascinated by what I call a gray area,” he said. By way of example, Risso spoke of his “surprising, beautiful experience” walking in total darkness in the Tamagawa Daishi temple. “This is telling about the Japanese culture.”

Risso joined Marni in 2016, unveiling his first collection for the brand’s fall 2017 season, and succeeding the label’s artistic director Consuelo Castiglioni. In 2015, Rosso’s OTB group took full control of Marni, three years after acquiring a 61 percent stake in the Italian fashion company.

Risso, whose past experiences include the Prada Group and stints at Anna Molinari, Alessandro Dell’Acqua and Malo, has brought clashing prints, vibrant colors, deconstructed silhouettes, generous volumes and asymmetric cuts to Marni. The designer, who is also drawn to Surrealism, often injects naif or grungy vibes into the looks, which have a young and rebellious attitude.

Risso said he is embracing “quality that that must last in time, and discipline as well as the skills and patience needed to create special objects. I think we’ve seen enough of cynicism and Brutalism. I am not interested in creating products that brutalize the human expression. My mission is to dress people and I am not working with blinkers, I think about what surrounds us, but I also aim to create a world that is comfortable and that will give pleasure.”
Source: WWD

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->