• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Addicted to buying fashion magazines, who has the same problem??

this is my first post, although I have been a longtime "guest" and reader. I too have a magazine addiction problem. In order to enable this habit, I became very close friends with all the men that worked at the newsstands and would exchange an hour or so of sidewalk company for beautiful, glossy, imported magazines! But now I'm just finding myself frustrated. It feels like so many of the magazines are becoming the same! Same trends, similar photos...argh! Does anyone else share this frustration or now of some really good edgy fashion magazines that may not be on my radar?

In terms of comprehensive coverage of the fall shows, I'd have to say that I was very pleasantly suprised by Elle Runway (UK mag). It covered a good variety of shows and tagged just about every upcoming trend.

I've had my mah problem for about 10 years! In school I would spend all my lunch money on magazines and not eat. Crazy.

Preahya said:
^_^ I LOVE my addiction.....it is like having a gift or a little getaway every month :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

My thoughts exactly...i know i spend a lot of money and i know that one day i will HAVE to throw them away (no more storage), but i don't care, cause it's great, the smell, the touch, the pics, the text, the ideas, the concept. I LOVE magazines, always have and always will!!:heart:

WOW- so glad for this thread. I always joke that if I go to someones house and there is a new magazine I haven't seen on the table, I cannot resist looking through it- even if the person was about to tell me the house was on fire. I'd buy an expensive magazine rather then groceries. I have no other vices- don't smoke- etc...but am seriously a fashion image junkie. I am a painter (mostly fashion) and get so excited visually by seeing new inspiring clothing pics. When I did my taxes this year I was sick when I saw that I spend about $60- $220 a month on big glossy mags. I am mostly addicted to European magazines (Italian Vogue, French, Flair, French Vogue, British Vogue/Elle ---but then you can add in all those Japanese magazines-- SO-EN, Ginza, Japanese Nylon, more more more) Another Magazine- V- I also purchase a ton of home.decoration and ART magazines. I don't feel so bad because I really do look at them over and over for composition ideas and colors. My final stage is tearing out the images I can't live without. I've been in waiting rooms for doctors and been ecstatic seeing new stuff. And lately I even scour old antique shops for old 60's/70's VOGUEs. let me know when we start a therapy group --ha ha. p.s. Love that avatar fashionista-ta from my favorite movie DAISIES

Last edited by a moderator:
jeunesse_doree said:
But now I'm just finding myself frustrated. It feels like so many of the magazines are becoming the same! Same trends, similar photos...argh! Does anyone else share this frustration or now of some really good edgy fashion magazines that may not be on my radar?
i can't really recommend any mags...
i find myself similarly frustrated more and more...with the occassional 'surprise' good story or good issue...
so frustrated am i that i have almost completely stopped looking at magazines these days...
there are so many times that i just get angry at the poor quality of work that i am seeing...:ermm:...:doh:

they MUST be able to do better!!..

softgrey said:
i can't really recommend any mags...
i find myself similarly frustrated more and more...with the occassional 'surprise' good story or good issue...
so frustrated am i that i have almost completely stopped looking at magazines these days...
there are so many times that i just get angry at the poor quality of work that i am seeing...:ermm:...:doh:

they MUST be able to do better!!..

I stil love buying magazines, but I have to agree that some magazines are really becoming 'lazy' with there work, I see so many things that could have been so much better if they only would try a little harder.

I'm so glad I found all of you! :lol: :flower: I am a magazine addict! Not only fashion mags but ALL magazines. But I also have the frustration that the fashion mags all seem the same...the same things the same months...It seems increasingly rare to come across an amazing article or interview.

mikel said:
I totally agree with you guys I.m addicted as well. I used to buy 15 per month, but since I've got little money I cut down on mags. Now I buy 7/8 mags per month. I'm so obsessed with them that if buy a magazine and I notice at home that it is damaged or folded in any way I emediatly buy a new one. Thats why I dont subscribe because you never now in what state you get them in the mail.

haha wow im like that too...I won't buy one if it's not in perfect condition and if anyone wants to read it i'll say be careful!!! I can't stand it when my magazines come all bent in the mail:angry:

I get about an average of 5 a month- usually a combo of Bazaar, In Style, Vogue, Elle, Teen Vogue, and/or Lucky:flower:

I've managed to cut down...I used to spend at least $200/month...now I just buy my essentials and then a few extra ones here and there...less one or two cups of Starbucks for me!!Haha...fashion mags overpowers caffeine!!!

I also suffer from this addiction! Mine has been tamed a bit, but I used to buy at least 6-7 magazines a month. Now I just limit myself to Nylon, i-D, Lula, and one or two more.

i have a subscription to about 2 magazines, but i buy anywhere from 5-10 a month. and if i buy a celebrity magazine, like US weekly or People, i only read the fashion part. i'm obsessed too, it's okay :blush:

PoP and Another magazine come out during the same month which makes it pretty expensive with the regular ones ( V, Numéro, Flair, Cover and i-D). I'm also tempted by W, which makes it 5-6 mags per month.:blush:

I also sometimes get quite disappointed with magazines as I feel as though its the same thing over and over.

The worst (and this happens a lot in Australian publications) is that the editors will put in editorials, articles etc from the international publications. For example last months Harpers Bazaar Australia had an editorial from Harpers Bazaar France. Although I'm not sure if it was from the same issue.. but still.. :ermm:

I still buy them though.. :blush: :P

I've posted here before but I just want to say I have this many subscriptions, its insane! But the thing I like most is sitting on my bed and reading/skipping through my beloved fashion mags. It chills me out to look at photo spreads and it makes me happy.

Jane
Fitness
Fitness Rx
Teen Vogue
Allure
Elle
Cosmo
Glamour
Elle Decor
Domino
Marie Claire

Sad I know and I want to subscribe to more

Bazaar
Vogue
US Weekly
Life & Style,

Haha my next victims

Guilty as charged.
Vogue US. Vogue Italia. Vogue Paris. Vogue Espana. Harper's Bazaar US. Time(?). Life and Style. Domino. Vanity Fair. Conde Nast Traveler...

and the list goes on!

I spend about $50 a month buying mags, but what I worry about is that I hardly read former issues after once reading. I can't pass by the new mags which I like, so buy them unavoidably because I'm afraid that they would be sold out. -_-

its my only vice...I will actually go without eating in order to buy a magazine. the othey day I had $15 I thought to myself do I buy lunch or the new vogue...haha I sound like carrie in satc.
"I used to buy vogue instead of dinner, I thought it fed me more" . I think she is right...who needs food anyway (i sound so sick)

I've just realized how much money I could have saved if I didn't have my mag addiction.....I was briefly heartbrokn until I looked at my ad collection and went....'well, it's kinda worth it' :lol:

I too am another addict. i cant help it, evan when the content is not that good it doesnt stop me. I love it, although I have had to cut down a bit, however, my flatmate has just got a new job where she gets most fashion magazines sent to her FREE...so she brings them all home for me :heart:

i plead guilty!!
can't stop buying them.they are never enough.the minute i've finished reading one i need to see another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicochanvinlabeill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->