All about Resumes / CV's and Cover Letters for Jobs and Internships

I think it is ALWAYS safe to stick with Mr./Ms. or Mrs. I'm sure no one will run into it but be sure to correctly apply the terms 'professor' and 'Dr.' to an alias. People get really offended when people fail to acknowledge them as a Dr.

how exactly should i resume look like (like a crib sheet or something)? i'm from sweden and i don't relly know how different resumes look like from country to country. i'm moving to new york and i really need a nice resume since im gonna be needing a job.

It seems that many focus on content and finally tend to neglect presentation. As I'm not a native English speaker my posts are not good example though.

I've noticed that very often even basic typographic rules are not respected (don't rely on MS Word!) and also the overall presentation of the CV/résumé does often not leave a very positive impression.

While content is important the overall presentation counts a lot too. Don't mix fonts, avoid unrequired font attribute changes (underlining, bold, italic) and choose an easy to read font. Use a reasonable line spacing and font size.Also avoid text in fancy colors. Black or dark blue is fine but flashy colors look more annoying than creative, are harder to read and may also cause problems with photocopies.

Keep a logical structure and remember that those who read CVs usually don't have much time. So keep it simple and to the point. It's better to omit some secondary information as if the document becomes too long it probably won't be read totally. Make sure your contact data appears clearly on the first page.

Rules about CV/résumés seem to change from time to time so I can't give precise advice, it depends also on the job and the country.

I've seen many résumés and overall most were not very well presented. Even many still had some typos and other typographic errors (be very careful with dots, be consistent).

Last detail: Don't neglect the envelope, double check the address for errors and fold the letter correctly.If you use an envelope with an address window (or however it's called in Engllish) check the placement of the address text. The one who reads your letter will not necessarily always get the envelope but still pay attention to such details.

Blunier

Thanks for the blog recommendation romantic. I love reading the experiences of fellow interns :blush:

I visited this thread a couple of years ago after I had moved down to Florida and was looking for a new job.

WELL - the time has come to move back north to Chicago. I will be moving in less than three months, and it's definitely time for me to spice up my resume.

I am revisiting the length question... and though I plan to stick to one page, those individuals with gobs of experience do not necessarily need to stick to one page. If your info and experience is important enough to merit a second page, go for that extra page.

Does anyone know about contacting Ford Models for an internship? I can only find fax and telephone numbers on their website and I know most places don't like to be bothered with phone calls.

Does anyone know about contacting Ford Models for an internship? I can only find fax and telephone numbers on their website and I know most places don't like to be bothered with phone calls.

This was on their site. "If you have questions or concerns about any of our information collection or handling practices, please contact us at bdillard@fordmodels.com." Phone calls aren't so bad either I called Wilhelmina last year concerning an internship and they were pretty nice.

What program do you all make your resume with? Microsoft Word?

Microsoft Word has a program that guides you through the resume making process. Open a new document, then go to File, click New, and a dialog box should come up (depending on your version of Word). Here you should find templates for resumes and/or links to download templates.

I do my resumes in Microsoft word, but then I convert it to a PDF file. You never know what platform the person you're sending it to is using, and it helps in keeping your resume exactly how you want it without it getting scrambled going to different computers.

im still new here and im working on my CV now..

but the thing is, i nvr work for any company, since i live in indonesia previously, so most of my job is not listed within the government etc2

i work as a model, and a costume maker before.
i also helped at singapore fashion week as a dresser. is this even counted? @_@

and do i need to include the sertificate or anything inside my cv? when i apply for jobs? or just a plain 1 page cv like what everybody said?

*im sorry if its a silly questions, but im really a noob at this
thx before XD

What you put in your CV depends on the job you are applying for, I would think. Make sure that you list all the experience you do have that will help you do the job ... even if it is not paid work ... it's still experience. One page is best ... since they will be reviewing lots and lots of them, so they don't like to have too much to read. It should be neat, concise and jobs/voluteer experience/ etc. usually in date order.

I don't know what country you are living in now, but in the U.S. they do not check with the government to see what jobs you have had ... they check with the people/companies you worked for, So here, they want a name, address and phone number of your supervisor or the "human resources" dept. (what used to be called the "personnel Dept.") at the company. We also do not include certificates or diplomas. If they need to verify that you graduated, they will contact the school.

Again ... I might be different where you live.

Top Shop In Ny!!? Helpppppp

So I'm super excited about TopShop coming so close to me(NYC)! I'm really excited to apply for the Style Adviser position they are offering-it sounds so perfect for me! I really have my heart set on getting this position and you have to apply through this recruitment site which I always dislike because I feel like they won't get it-I like the old fax method!:blush: My resume is complete and up to date and I would love some critique from my fellow TFS members on what you think, as I want it in pristine shape to get a call back from them. The application process dosent require a spot to put your cover page just your uploaded resume but theres other areas like add. info, skills, blah blah where I guess I'de be able to put in that significant selling material! So if your bored and would like to take a peek at my resume please let me know. Much appreciated oxox:heart:

My sister works for Rogers Publication, they Publish Flare, the Canadian Fashion Magazine, her boss, and that bosses boss are pushing me to and in my resume, and I can get a job at Flare, the two bosses are allowing me to use them as a reference, and seeing as their basically head people in the Rogers Publication building, I'm sure I have this in the bag. But what else can I do to my resume or should include on my resume to get the job?:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread! But i guess to send mail to any fashion-house, person should have good CV. If for example all these 7 years i worked as freelancer, what is the prove i can be usefull in working process? Right? Anybody tryed to contact designers with portfolio or CV?

I'm applying for an internship and one thing that they ask for is an online portfolio. Would anyone recommend any good sites that can help me create this? I want it to be as polished as possible and I'm willing to pay a small fee if I have to, because this is for a big designer, plus I can always use it for other purposes.

I don't know if these are applicable or not ... Portfolio Hosting Websites for Designers, Artists, Photographers, Stylists, etc. This thread is about on-line portfolios for freelancers. Many of these sites are very adaptable, have lots of options to customize it to suit your style and you can buy your own domain name for a small fee from some of them, if you want it to look especially professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"