Best Brazilian Models?

What do you guys think about this? Apparently 70% of brazilian models are from the south. That surprised me, I knew there were a lot but 70%? :unsure:

Off Runway, Brazilian Beauty Goes Beyond Blond.

RESTINGA SÊCA, Brazil — Before setting out in a pink S.U.V. to comb the schoolyards and shopping malls of southern Brazil, Alisson Chornak studies books, maps and Web sites to understand how the towns were colonized and how European their residents might look today.

The goal, he and other model scouts say, is to find the right genetic cocktail of German and Italian ancestry, perhaps with some Russian or other Slavic blood thrown in. Such a mix, they say, helps produce the tall, thin girls with straight hair, fair skin and light eyes that Brazil exports to the runways of New York, Milan and Paris with stunning success.

Yet Brazil is not the same country it was in 1994, when Gisele Bündchen, the world’s top earning model, was discovered in a tiny town not far from here. Darker-skinned women have become more prominent in Brazilian society, challenging the notions of Brazilian beauty and success that Ms. Bündchen has come to represent here and abroad.
Taís Araújo just finished a run as the first black female lead in the coveted 8 p.m. soap opera slot. Marina Silva, a former government minister born in the Amazon, is running for president. And over the past decade, the income of black Brazilians rose by about 40 percent, more than double the rate of whites, as Brazil’s booming economy helped trim the inequality gap and create a more powerful black consumer class, said Marcelo Neri, an economist in Rio de Janeiro.
Even prosecutors have waded into the debate over what Brazilian society looks like — and how it should be represented. São Paulo Fashion Week, the nation’s most important fashion event, has been forced by local prosecutors to ensure that at least 10 percent of its models are of African or indigenous descent.
Despite those shifts, more than half of Brazil’s models continue to be found here among the tiny farms of Rio Grande do Sul, a state that has only one-twentieth of the nation’s population and was colonized predominantly by Germans and Italians.
Indeed, scouts say that more than 70 percent of the country’s models come from three southern states that hardly reflect the multiethnic melting pot that is Brazil, where more than half the population is nonwhite.
On the pages of its magazines, Brazil’s beauty spectrum is clearer. Nonwhite women, including celebrities of varying body types, are interspersed with white models. But on the runways, the proving ground for models hoping to go abroad, the diversity drops off precipitously. Prosecutors investigating discrimination complaints against São Paulo Fashion Week found that only 28 of the event’s 1,128 models were black in early 2008.

The pattern creates a disconnect between what many Brazilians consider beautiful and the beauty they export overseas. While darker-skinned actresses like Juliana Paes and Camila Pitanga are considered among Brazil’s sexiest, it is Ms. Bündchen and her fellow southerners who win fame abroad.
“I was always perplexed that Brazil was never able to export a Naomi Campbell, and it is definitely not because of a lack of pretty women,” said Erika Palomino, a fashion consultant in São Paulo. “It is embarrassing.”
Some scouts have begun tepid forays to less-white parts of Brazil. One Brazilian designer, Walter Rodrigues, recently opened Rio Fashion Week with 25 models, all of them black.
But here in the south scouts still spend most of their time hunting for the next Gisele, and offer few apologies for what they say sells.
Clóvis Pessoa studies facial traits that are successful on international runways and looks for towns in the south that mirror those genes.
“If a famous top model looks German with a Russian nose, I will do a scientific study and look for cities that were colonized by Germans and Russians in the south of Brazil in order to get a similar face down here," Mr. Pessoa said.
Dilson Stein, who discovered Ms. Bündchen when she was 13, called Rio Grande do Sul a treasure trove of model-worthy girls. A year before discovering Ms. Bündchen, whose parents are of German ancestry, he found 12-year-old Alessandra Ambrosio, now famous for her Victoria’s Secret shoots.
nytimes.com

brazilmapfullcpia.jpg

i find it pathetic to be honest but hey that's what the fashion world is into.:ermm:

What do you guys think about this? Apparently 70% of brazilian models are from the south. That surprised me, I knew there were a lot but 70%?
Isn't the South more populated then the North though, with the North being a lot of Amerindian tribal people?

German and Italian ancestry, perhaps with some Russian or other Slavic blood thrown in. Such a mix, they say, helps produce the tall, thin girls with straight hair, fair skin and light eyes that Brazil exports to the runways of New York, Milan and Paris with stunning success.
That's so stupid. Just because you're those ethnicity does not mean you'll be tall, fair skinned and have straight hair. Utter bs.

I don't think they meant in harm. If you're a scout you simply have a better chance of finding what you're looking for in those areas, as it only makes sense since that's where those genes are being passed.

i think it causes 'harm' if that's the only image they're fervently pushing.:innocent:

Isn't the South more populated then the North though, with the North being a lot of Amerindian tribal people?

The southeast (red area) is the more populated one, the south (in blue) comes after. There are a lot of big cities in the north/northeast as well. But you can see girls from the north are more like Adriana, Caroline R, Bruna, Fernanda, while the girls from the south are more like Raquel, Gisele, Cintia. And I love the diversity in Brazil. B)

But there are few black brazilian models, I'm glad we are starting to export models like Gracie and Lais, to represent even more diversity.

I love brazilian models. I don't care whether they're from the south or the north. I don't even know where exactly they're from. That is like saying all models from Sweden need to have blond hair and blue eyes because they represent the majority of sweden's population. That's bulls***.
And I also hate how some people always try to tell you there's minorities in a field that you have to like just because they're minorities. Like people complaining that there aren't enough Asians and black people on the runway. Get over it, casting directors will chose the girls they like most, not trying to create an average sample of the world's population :rolleyes:

Anyway, my favorite Brazilians are:

1. Ana Beatriz Barros
2. Fabiana Tambosi
3. Isabeli Fontana

and in no oder:
Adriana Lima, Raica Oliveira, Patricia Barros, Jeisa Chiminazzo, Cintia Dicker, Gisele Bündchen, Tayane Leão Melo, Ana Paula Araujo, Thalita de Oliveira, Bruna Tenorio, Carolina Pantoliano, Ana Clauda Michels and Rhayene Polster.

:heart:

Isabeli Fontana, Daiane Conterato, Thana Kuhnen and Bruna Tenorio :smile:

ana beatriz barros:heart: and then
adriana lima and isabeli fontana ^_^

hmm since this thread is titled "best" I'd say: Gisele Bundchen,Raquel Zimmerman,Isabeli Fontana,Caroline Trentini (counting prestige/portfolio)...

my "faves" are: Gisele,Isabeli,Anabb,Raquel (and sometimes Fernanda Tavares,Ale,Adriana)

1. Caroline Trentini
2. Raquel Zimmermann
3. Isabeli Fontana
4. Jeisa Chiminazzo
5. Gisele Bundchen
6. Ana Beatriz Barros
7. Ana Claudia Michels
8. Gianne Albertoni
9. Caroline Ribeiro
10. Bruna Tenorio

Raquel Zimmermann
Caroline Trentini
Flavia De Oliveira
Aline Weber
Bruna Tenòrio
Arthur Sales <3
Francisco Lachowski
Evandro Soldati

I think all Brazilians models are the best as well Argentines :P but my favorites are Flavia because her walk is amazing and Bruna because she got an amazing face...

1) Raquel Zimmermann
2) Isabeli Fontana
3) Bruna Tenorio
4) Gisele Bundchen
5) Ana Beatiriz Barros
6) Adriana Lima
7) Lais Ribeiro
8) Aline Weber
9) Emanuela de Paula
10) Martha Streck

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics