Bono Moves to Holland to Avoid Taxes

Retro

Reaction score
Bono Moves to Holland to Avoid Taxes
[FONT=arial,helvetica]James Hirsen, NewsMax.com[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Monday, Sept. 18, 2006[/FONT]
Bono has just taught the world a lesson.
With all the press attention given to the U2 lead singer's humanitarian lobbying efforts to fight poverty and disease in the Third World, you might think his global instruction was about altruism.

Not this time. Instead, by his actions Bono has revealed what he really feels about taxes. He has also demonstrated how dramatically one's behavior can be affected when the issue becomes personal.

The rocker and his U2 band have moved their business empire from Ireland to Holland to avoid paying the new high tax rates that have been imposed by the Irish government on music royalties.

If Bono, whose estimated worth is said to be in excess of $700 million, wants to save on his tax bill, that's understandable. The problem is that this is the same guy who has consistently urged the U.S. government to use its own citizens' tax dollars to finance other nations' social programs and forgive Third World countries' debts.

Typically, when money from the United States has been doled out in the past to developing nations, the track record of appropriate application has been appalling, with the exception of some minute amounts of money that have actually been used to accomplish original objectives. In some cases, corrupt dictators have actually robbed the charity piggy banks and/or squandered their contents.

In an interview with the UK Daily Mirror, British television talk show host Graham Norton launched a harangue against the Irish rocker for his apparent hypocrisy.

"People like Bono really annoy me," Norton said. "He goes to hell and back to avoid paying tax. He has a special accountant. He works out Irish tax loopholes. And then he's asking me to buy a well for an African village."

Norton has his own hefty tax bill to pay, thanks to a new multimillion-dollar deal he just signed with the BBC. He has a couple of suggestions for projects that Bono could effectuate in his own homeland.

"Tarmac the road outside your house, you tight-wad! Or pay for a school in Ireland," Norton remarked. "I've never met Bono and now I probably never will. But if I do meet him I'll ask him because I think it's a hard thing to justify."

Even Labour Party finance spokeswoman Joan Burton chimed in. She told the Guardian, "Having listened to Bono on the necessity for the Irish government to give more money to Ireland Aid ... I am surprised that U2 are not prepared to contribute to the exchequer on a fair basis along with the bulk of Irish taxpayers."

What Bono and U2 have done is what businesses always do when faced with excessive taxes — seek jurisdictions with low or, better yet, no taxes.

Governments always need more money, and the easy answer for generating revenue is to hike tax rates. But as sure as water flows downhill, individuals, and the businesses they own, will leave the tax-hiking jurisdiction for more friendly terrain, taking their revenue right along with them. Another Bono lesson for Ireland and other nation-states: If the Emerald Isle hadn't tinkered with its tax law, Bono, U2 and other businesses like them would still be providing jobs, opportunity and, yes, revenue.

http://newsmax.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=http://newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/9/17/183931.shtml

Eh...I don't know the whole story, only what I've read here but it seems to me that Bono, of all people, can actually afford to pay the tax.

Taxes are never fun (I should know, half my paycheck goes to taxes and I don't make much to begin with) but countries need the taxes to survive.
Seems to me that Ireland wouldn't make such a drastic move if it didn't need the money. Bono can afford to pay the taxes, so why not give back to his country?

With Bono's huge paypacket he can surely afford to buy a million wells for an african village and have enogh leftovers to buy his own island.
I think he's a total hypocrit, ofcourse i don't know the whole story, i might have totally misjudged him, and if anyone is willing to change my mind please do so. Maybe Bono is a saint who donates alot of money to charity after all.........
Surely all that tax money he is trying to save could have been put to good use in Ireland

daddyslittlegrl8 said:
For some reason I read this as "bono moves to holland to avoid texas". WTF?

dlg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL! haha!! that really made me laugh.....somehow I don't think moving to holland is going to help him avoid Texas.... :rofl:

kan-i-ta said:
Where in Holland is he going to live?
To clarify, Bono himself is not moving to Holland, U2 as a business entity is. Many large rock bands (like the Rolling Stones) do and have already done this for the same reasons. What's interesting to note is that members of these same bands (again, like the Rolling Stones) often take up private residence in Ireland, in order to take advantage of that country's tax breaks (in many circumstances, artists are not required to pay income tax in Ireland). U2 are having their cake and eating it too.

While I don't think they should have done this, it's hardly the scandal Graham Norton is making it out to be. It's pretty unreasonable to suggest that the band's attempts too minimize their taxes somehow negates either the work Bono has done or the amount of money he's spent for humanitarian causes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the band was advised to do this, no? Many bands have done the same thing... it may seem like they're dodging the system, but really, it's a good business move, no? :unsure:

^ Of course it's a good business move, companies do it all the time. Ireland itself can attribute rapid economic growth over the past decade to the fact that it successfully attracted foreign companies to its shores by offering, yes, tax breaks.

It's not as though U2 have managed to wiggle out of paying taxes completely; they will be paying in the Netherlands, albeit at much lower rates than they would have had they kept the company in Ireland.

Really not that surprising. Shameful, hypocritical, emberassing, but not surprising.

Bono wants to be Geldof. But he isn't and will never be. For all his harping on about saving the world i've never seen him do anything other than produce bad music in the past 10 years.

It's so hypocritical...and greedy....

bono being a hypocrite is not new news- just gets worse with each passing year

They would rather give money to Holland than to his own country, just to save some. It's not just the money Ireland is losing out on either. They are taking jobs away from there too.

Bono wants us to save the world, but he can't even be bothered to help out his country!

^^ Yeah, pretty lousy of Bono. I'm a U2 fan but I'm not impressed. I have no sympathy for millionaires whinging about the taxes that they have to pay, they can afford to!!! Bono would hardly be on the poverty line if he was paying Irish taxes. It's pretty hypocritical to lobby others to donate their money or to lobby governments to donate taxes when Bono can't be bothered supporting him home country.

I actually don't mind paying tax. I'm happy to see my money help fund hospitals, schools, roads etc... I have problems with paying the Royal Family, but that's a separate story.

See when it comes down to it, Bono should realise no matter how much you hike yourself up onto a pedestal and preach a holier than thou message, you will always - ALWAYS - be caught out.

This thing of Bono evading taxes has always been known...he refuses to answer it in interviews though. Funny that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->