Bono Slams 'whingeing Rock Stars'

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
<<Bono has slammed "whingeing rock stars" who complain about their fame and fans.

The U2 frontman says he has no time for pampered musicians who moan about their life.

Instead, the singer insists they should be grateful to their fans who have paid for their lavish lifestyles reports Femalefirst.co.uk quoting The Sun.

He said: "I do hate whingeing rock stars. The life that people have given us is amazing. We don't have the same worries other people do, like how to pay the bills. In return we only have to do one thing. The deal is, don't be crap - that's all anyone's asked of us."

However, Bono has nothing but admiration for rock star friends Robbie Williams and Chris Martin of Coldplay.

The iconic singer praised Martin - who he recently worked with on the Band Aid 20 record Do They Know It's Christmas? - for his charity work with Oxfam, and says he thinks Robbie is grossly misunderstood as an artist.

He added: "I love Robbie. I think he has a poetic nature and a pop nature - two sides to him and it's amazing what Chris is doing. He's not just in a brilliant band, there is a moral compass there.">>

Any guesses as to what rock stars prompted Bono to make these statements? :flower:

is this a typo...what is whingeing?...whining...?...not sure... :unsure: :wacko:

Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 6 2004, 11:51 PM
is this a typo...what is whingeing?...whining...?...not sure... :unsure: :wacko:
[snapback]454442[/snapback]​
I was wondering the same thing. :unsure:

thanks bono...seriously...i understand that they work so hard, but hell, we all work hard and they make more money doing it...

whinge

verb {I} whingeing or whinging UK INFORMAL DISAPPROVING

to complain, especially about something which does not seem important:

- Oh stop whinging, for heaven's sake!

- She's always whingeing (on) about something.

source

Much as I loved Nirvana, I always think of Kurt Cobain as the ultimate in whingeing rock stars. He was a genius though, IMO.

Not a typo - it's a British-ism. They say whingeing, Americans say whining...

I respect Bono...hmm....who is he talking about, though? I've been under a rock lately cause of finals...

He's probably talking about the fact that most current pop rock stuff is all whiny and complaining. It's a bunch of phony, pretentious crap under the guise of truly emotional music...a bunch of rich, perfect kids/people with nothing to complain about, complaining about how terrible their lives are and how depressed they are.

Examples: Dashboard Confessional, Jimmy Eat World, Blink 182, Staind, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence, Nickelback, Linkin Park, most bands who label themselves "emo", ad infinitum... Turn on the radio, and you'll quickly find an example.

I think he's talking about acts that slam their fans...so...maybe people like Avril Lavigne? she called her fans poseurs...

I don't necessarily think it's "whiny music" but "whiny artists"...I just wonder what prompted him to make that statement! Ah, Bono...:smile:

Originally posted by Misako@Dec 7 2004, 03:26 AM
I think he's talking about acts that slam their fans...so...maybe people like Avril Lavigne? she called her fans poseurs...

I don't necessarily think it's "whiny music" but "whiny artists"...I just wonder what prompted him to make that statement! Ah, Bono...:smile:
[snapback]454581[/snapback]​

avril lavigne? would bono even *listen* to avirl lavigne enough to say that? he must be talking about someone else specifically?

He's probably encountered her. I doubt he was talking about her specifically - I was just bantering her name around since she was the one I recalled off the top of my head that had been rude towards her fans.

:lol:

He is right for the most part, of course. An artist can only complain about his fans if he thinks they misunderstand his art.

Originally posted by Misako@Dec 7 2004, 12:54 AM
Not a typo - it's a British-ism. They say whingeing, Americans say whining...
[snapback]454508[/snapback]​

We say whining in England too, the words have have slightly different connotations.

Bono makes a good point, shame he pisses me off so much.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 7 2004, 09:33 AM
[snapback]454732[/snapback]​

haha, same here, i hear what he's saying, but i cannot stand him :innocent:

Originally posted by oanadobre@Dec 7 2004, 10:23 AM
How can anyone not like him??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
[snapback]454817[/snapback]​

Statistically, there is no person that everyone likes :lol:
I'm impartial to Bono. I think some of his music is really good, some is not. He doesn't do anything for me, but I won't turn the radio off if his music plays.

Originally posted by faust@Dec 7 2004, 06:35 PM
Statistically, there is no person that everyone likes :lol:
I'm impartial to Bono. I think some of his music is really good, some is not. He doesn't do anything for me, but I won't turn the radio off if his music plays.
[snapback]454827[/snapback]​

I know statistics, Faust, but in my silly mind I still think there are some perople that everyone is bound to at least like, if not love: Bono, Audrey Hepburn, Chopin, Voltaire and a few others... :lol:

Originally posted by oanadobre@Dec 7 2004, 10:55 AM
I know statistics, Faust, but in my silly mind I still think there are some perople that everyone is bound to at least like, if not love: Bono, Audrey Hepburn, Chopin, Voltaire and a few others... :lol:
[snapback]454839[/snapback]​

Voltaire was a real prick in life, btw :lol: But, then there is a literary theory that says that you must not mix the person and his art...

I like his prick-iness, but hey, that's just me (sadly, if we stick to my theory :lol: )

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 7 2004, 08:33 AM
[snapback]454732[/snapback]​

I don't see why he pisses everybody off so much. Is it because he's political? He's been political since the early days of U2, since the late 70's. That's just who he is. If it's not because of his politics, I'm not sure what it's about? I respect the man. This guy gets no sleep, I don't know how he does it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->