^ he wouldn't have turned into a "capitalistic businessman"
today if it wasn't for his band. Or maybe he would have become a
capitalistic businessman, but what are the odds? No doubt Bono and
his band mates use their celebrity status to make money. That's just
my personal opinion. You know what's worse then a celebrity using their
status to self promote or to promote their special interest groups? It's
when they themselves can't follow through on what they preach. Point;
Bono avoiding to pay taxes but asking the world to do their part to helping
aid Africa.....:rolleyes: crazy celebs....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you're not trying to pick a fight....does Bono really inspire people to help nowadays? I think it's a shame that by his decisions made in the past 5 years he has undone a lifetime of good deeds, inspiring people to help, raising awareness of issues. It's easy to create negativity by deeds that aren't related - the last two news items regarding Bono were the U2 special edition iPod and his move to Holland. I do think he really needs to be careful and pick his actions wisely..I don't think this move was a good idea personally. He does have a certain stance that he has made quite clear to the public and popular media...

Actually I would like to make it clear, I do think governments charge too much tax merely because so much of it goes into a 'general fund' which might as well be labelled 'black hole' because it all goes missing or to pay index linked pensions, middle level beaurocracy...it's insane.

misssakura said:
It's easy to create negativity by deeds that aren't related - the last two news items regarding Bono were the U2 special edition iPod and his move to Holland.
To be fair to Bono, that is not true. For starters, you are forgetting Live 8 and Edun, which got very heavy press coverage. But beyond that, Bono actually works constantly and tirelessly for humanitarian causes. If anyone is in doubt about how fully Bono invests himself in these areas, I reccomend reading this profile by James Traub that was published in the NY Times last year (pdf download:( http://www.harrywalker.com/articles/archive/Bono_NYTimes_G8Summit.pdf

I'm not forgetting about them, i'm stating that those are the most recent news items shown where I am, and it does breed negativity regardless of whether it should or shouldn't.

But that article was very interesting and thank you for posting it :smile:

Quick question (not trying to put you on the spot here, I swear
flowers.gif
:( if you were a successful businesswoman with an annual income of say, 15 million euros, would you be willing to give more than 30% of that hard earned money to your government, knowing that only a wee part of it will be invested in education and public health? Wouldn't you much prefer re-investing that money on your enterprise, creating jobs and paying better salaries, ie making the world go round? Investing your money on the government (which paying taxes means, after all) isn't the safest bet. On the other hand, creating job openings is the most intelligent and efficient way to contribute to your country's economy. Increasing taxes scare investors away and take toll on economy.

I don't think much of the economic basis of this.

It doesn't take Holden Caulfield to see 'phoney' written all over Bono. He couldn't even be bothered to get the right time for Martin Luther King's assassination. Did tax avoidance really shock anyone? Helping equity in Ireland just doesn't sell records as well as leftie posturing.

misssakura said:
I'm not forgetting about them, i'm stating that those are the most recent news items shown where I am, and it does breed negativity regardless of whether it should or shouldn't.

But that article was very interesting and thank you for posting it :smile:
You're welcome. :flower:

Ugh. I feel like every day I have a new reason to hate Bono and every other self-righteous celebrity.

What do we know, really? This is one article from one writer.

Bands and artists do this ALL the time. It's a business move. Do we personally know how Ireland's tax system and government work? Do we know if they're allocating their money appropriately? Most of us don't know how the system works.

And do we know how many people these big bands employ to make this all happen? A lot. I'm sure they wouldn't move shop unless they felt it fit. I think it's BS to run off one article that is truly lacking in further details.

I just feel this is nobody's buisness...
taxes and what you make and all that are terrible thinks to talk about, IMO.

PrinceOfCats said:
I don't think much of the economic basis of this.

It doesn't take Holden Caulfield to see 'phoney' written all over Bono. He couldn't even be bothered to get the right time for Martin Luther King's assassination. Did tax avoidance really shock anyone? Helping equity in Ireland just doesn't sell records as well as leftie posturing.

If you lived in my country you'd know exactly what I mean.

And Bono doesn't have a leftie posturing. Leftie posturing is to wear a ridiculous Che Guevara shirt, read some of Marx's idiotic books and believe that Cuba is heaven. Bono is a businessman and a very talented one by the way.

brokenenglish said:
taxes and what you make and all that are terrible thinks to talk about, IMO.

I remember I got scolded at my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner because I asked the brother of the groom how much money he made a year :lol:

Supposedly that's rude....but I was dying to know because everyone said that he was rich.

If you lived in my country you'd know exactly what I mean.

Bono lives a bit closer to my country... in my country until 80 years ago.

daddyslittlegrl8 said:
For some reason I read this as "bono moves to holland to avoid texas". WTF?

dlg

I read it the same way! Hahah:lol: I was like: I didn't even know Bono had a home in Texas! hehe^_^

Just a thought after reading everyone's posts...and I have to say this is actaully a very interesting global debate...perhpas Bono wants to decide who, when, where and how his money is spent and not have a government decide for him.

sarah13 said:
Just a thought after reading everyone's posts...and I have to say this is actaully a very interesting global debate...perhpas Bono wants to decide who, when, where and how his money is spent and not have a government decide for him.

:clap: Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->