Chanel Sunglasses

Beautiful Stranger said:
But why won't you guys consider Chanel or Gucci classical? I'd find raybans more seasonal..

I btw totally agree with gsquared, you shouldn't buy too big, but if you buy too small, they won't suit you that good.

Ray-bans have been sold for longer, and the company is mostly only known for the sunglasses. They also do not change their signature style, but Gucci and Chanel change the style by seasons. While Ray-bans are recognizable, they don't have huge status-logos on the side. That is why they for example are classic, while most fashion house sunglasses aren't.

But why do you need to buy the sunglasses from some big label? I suggest you just go to a store and look around. Try on all the glasses that are black, not too big nor small, have no details and suit to your face shape. Don't care so much about what is the label. Just because you bought a pair of Chanels does not mean they will last for ten years.

I totally agree w/Whitelinen, gsquared and yanka. (Hi Whitelinen!:flower:)
While the shapes of those Guccis and Chanels shown above are classical, logos really have only been "in" since Tom Ford. There WAS a time when logoed shades were considered too "Madame" looking. And there is always the chance that you will change your mind considering these particular brands, much less advertising for them.

A person who knows, KNOWS by looking at a pair of sunnies whether they are cheap high-street or good quality; no need to prove it, which is a fallacy anyway because to a person who can't tell, they may easily be fake. At the end though, it does come down to a personal choice.

How about Oliver Peoples? Mind you, they are just as expensive and of top quality as Gucci or Chanel, they just don't advertise it.

www.oliverpeoples.com

You can find other interesting ones here depending on your taste.
www.mikli.com

Make sure the shape fits your face and brow. Also, you need not be limited to black; brown or tortoiseshell are also great depending on your coloring.

(Hi Melisande :flower:)

I think your suggestions are good. I knew I could trust on your taste on this matter!

I myself bought a pair of very classic sunglasses last year. I am not sure whether they are going to last with me for a long time, and they certainly were not a brand name and cost only around 200 - 300€. However, I find them very classic and hope they will last. They suit perfectly to my face shape, which was where I started the whole process. Funnily enough, my sunglasses are the only thing in my wardrobe that is "ready" as in good and stylish. I hope they will last for a long time. This is why I recommend everyone to figure out their face shape before shopping for any kind of glasses.

BeautifulStranger, what I meant was that while the shapes and colours of those sunglasses are perfectly classic, the logo is the thing that ruins them. Good choices shape-wise though :flower:

WhiteLinen said:
(Hi Melisande :flower:)

I think your suggestions are good. I knew I could trust on your taste on this matter!

I myself bought a pair of very classic sunglasses last year. I am not sure whether they are going to last with me for a long time, and they certainly were not a brand name and cost only around 200 - 300€. However, I find them very classic and hope they will last. They suit perfectly to my face shape, which was where I started the whole process. Funnily enough, my sunglasses are the only thing in my wardrobe that is "ready" as in good and stylish. I hope they will last for a long time. This is why I recommend everyone to figure out their face shape before shopping for any kind of glasses.

BeautifulStranger, what I meant was that while the shapes and colours of those sunglasses are perfectly classic, the logo is the thing that ruins them. Good choices shape-wise though :flower:

You could easily buy a pair of Gucci or Dior or similiar for that money. :blink:

"Ray-bans have been sold for longer, and the company is mostly only known for the sunglasses. They also do not change their signature style, but Gucci and Chanel change the style by seasons. While Ray-bans are recognizable, they don't have huge status-logos on the side. That is why they for example are classic, while most fashion house sunglasses aren't."

I still disagree with the fact that a logo make sunglasses "trendy".. And just because raybans only make shades and have done it for a longer time doesn't mean they produce more classical styles?

But, i agree with you guys on olivier peoples, they have some very nice and classical shades. But, i've actually experienced them to be more expensive than chanel or gucci (i might have compared a cheaper chanel-model to a more expensive olivier peoples one though) and in some cases a little too plain looking and not so flattering.

WhiteLinen said:
Hmm... here they are over 1000€.

WHAT?????????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG, this is outragous! In london an average pay of Gucci sunglasses is about 150-200 pounds, which is about 200 - 300 euroes. Is Findlad really that bad with markups?

That's insane! I'm in a scandinavian country who usually marks up alot, and here you can them from 300$!

"Ray-bans have been sold for longer, and the company is mostly only known for the sunglasses. They also do not change their signature style, but Gucci and Chanel change the style by seasons. While Ray-bans are recognizable, they don't have huge status-logos on the side. That is why they for example are classic, while most fashion house sunglasses aren't."

I still disagree with the fact that a logo make sunglasses "trendy".. And just because raybans only make shades and have done it for a longer time doesn't mean they produce more classical styles?

Ray-Bans are known for one style of sunglasses; aviators. Theirs are the most known aviators ---> aviators are a classic ---> Ray-Bans are classics.

When did logo-ed Chanel glasses become classics? Sure., they have been in fashion since late 90's, but is that a definition of a classic?

Yanka, I guess they are. I am not too familiar with these designers glasses. Some of them are indeed that price range you say, but for example my friend's Dior glasses... 1000 €. I guess it depends on the glasses. I might also be wrong.

I also don't understand the comment "You could've gotten a pair of Chanel's for that price". In designer items like these, the price comes from the image and brand, the logo. Therefore if my glasses cost around the same but still were not of any famous brand, I guess mine could've been expensive because of quality :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteLinen said:
Ray-Bans are known for one style of sunglasses; aviators. Theirs are the most known aviators ---> aviators are a classic ---> Ray-Bans are classics.

When did logo-ed Chanel glasses become classics? Sure., they have been in fashion since late 90's, but is that a definition of a classic?

Yanka, I guess they are. I am not too familiar with these designers glasses. Some of them are indeed that price range you say, but for example my friend's Dior glasses... 1000 €. I guess it depends on the glasses.

Dior isn't even that expensive of a brand. Like, Oliver Peoples or Vuitton or Bvlgari would cost a lot more. BUt seriously, if that's the case with Findland, just shop on ebay or order some glasses online. That's what I'd do rather than overpay this much.

Read what I added to the post, please :flower: I have no desire to buy glasses with huge, diamond-encrusted logos on the sides.

WhiteLinen, i think this will be my last post in this discussion as we clearly just have two different opinions (which i totally respect). You consider, if i understand correctly, logoed chanel too "trendy" or even "tacky", while i consider them "classical" and not likely to go out of fashion for a very long time. That's it =)

Ok, but why can't you keep on posting? What is stopping you in posing your idea of what you think of a classic? Discussions are all about different opinions. I am in no way thinking your opinion is bad; I just simply do not agree with it and also tell why I think so.

In my opinion, we can all say what we think might become a classic. However, it is not classic at that stage :flower: It is classic when it stands the time and still stays stylish.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason for me stopping posting in this thread is because i feel i've said what i have to say, and read what i find interesting to read =)

this is getting almost a bit funny. I just said i didn't have more to post here, that's it. No big deal, huh? :smile:

Not to get too offtopic, i think you should check out Bottega Veneta too. I think they have some really great styles. not soo classical though.. But maybe you'll like them =)

Beautiful Stranger said:
this is getting almost a bit funny. I just said i didn't have more to post here, that's it. No big deal, huh? :smile:

Not to get too offtopic, i think you should check out Bottega Veneta too. I think they have some really great styles. not soo classical though.. But maybe you'll like them =)

Oh yeah, some Bottega Veneta ones are REALLY cute

I just don't understand why you said it if it doesn't matter... you see, if I think I have nothing to say anymore, I just simply leave the thread. I don't need to tell everyone "see, I am leaving". That's why I think it is a little bit odd that you said it if you didn't mean anything.

But what about companies which make almost solely sunglasses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->