Chonga Style - Chola Style

I don't know were the influences came from (maybe a far inspiration from Latin American TV-series or first rap videos on MTV?...) or maybe this is basically what the suburbian / lowerclass look has in common everywhere... Just a thought.

I'd say it's probably more from TV than anything else ... because kids see it on TV and adopt it. It's really a Latin American thing, I think ... you don't see it in the "white" middle class suburbs much in the US. So it would be the only way kids in other countries would know about it.

never heard of chonga before, but growing up in san bernardino, california (IE represent!), there were PLENTY of *****/as. hilarious to see this again.

This is very interesting. Here in NJ, I don't really see much of this, but I see many similarities between Chonga style and guido/guidette style. The same tight clothes, overdone makeup and hair with volume.

Though guidos/guidettes are typically of Italian descent and are fairly well-off (think wardrobes of Armani Exchange for the guys and big Louis Vuitton bags for the girls).

^ Yeah theyre like the chongas of italia. I know. I have guidos and chongas and cholos and cholas in the family :lol:

of course, this thread would bring back Jade to comment :lol: :flower: Good to see you around.

I think we need more threads like this. I moved to L.A. three years ago and I loved learning about *****/Chola cluture. I wish we had more threads on these style tribes. I think they bring unexpected inspiration.
MiVidaLoca.jpg

From the movie Mi Vida Loca
41950904.jpg

from the LA Times

from "http://thisistenspeed.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_archive.html"
Cholas y Cholos

3228804_d7b6b88c1c_m.jpg
"

Growing up, my neighbor Laurie had the best hair. She was Latina, but it was bleached white-yellow and looked like an outgrown bowl-cut, curled up all along the edges. She wore blue eyeshadow and tight Sergio Valente jeans and white wifebeaters, and the heaviest mascara and dramatic eyeshadow. Laurie sauntered around the neighborhood and smoked on the back porch, we sat on her stoop, talking to her as she casually laughed at my brother's jokes and verbally stumbled over slang and the valley-girlisms of the day with her slight lisp-touched Chicana accent. She was, proudly, a chola.

3228807_f0b349d916_m.jpg

Back then Cholas (and their male counterparts, Cholos) were gang members. An aesthetic probably best represented in Hollywood by Mi Vida Loca. To me, she was the glamour girl of the neighborhood and later as I grew older and Laurie moved away. I could see this subculture falling to the wayside, gangs from LA moved into our suburbs. The teenage me saw the difference between the airbrushed low-riders, the dickies, the claiming of a two-block area and knife and fistfights to the use of firearms, wearing of football team jerseys, and pants too baggy to stay up. Later things seemed more dangerous at school as I got older. (Of course this was during the time when Latino and Black gang-related activity was making the news.)

I don't hope to glamourize a bygone gang era and perhaps Laurie was disturbed (though I doubt it), but to my youthful self the definitive and sometimes, beautifully stark aesthetics of the cholas and cholos who lived in my 'hood are forever etched.

Growing up in a neighborhood where this was how you were supposed to dress, how you were supposed to feel about being latin. I can still recall being 16 going to Mcdonald's or the bowling alley and hearing the open calls of "whitewash" and "wannabe" but dressing like a ***** would have made me a "wannabe" cuz I never wanted to be in a gang or go to prison. I would openly take my Vouge magazines to school and didn't care who made fun of me.....That's why I love TFS, Manhattan, Philly, Sanfran etc. but I don't hold anything against anyone cuz it's scary to be differant when your young some of us just didn't have a choice.....love you all.

is that a chola tshirt ?
here it's spelled chula ...
:unsure:

anyway ...
store.uniqlo.com/jp

Attachments

• 00_056300.jpg
    00_056300.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1
As far as I know there is difference between Cholas and Chongas.
Cholas are usually Chicanas and take their stuff more seriously.
Chongas tend to be South American/Cuban/P.Rican and are usually more influensed by black culture.

When I was 5yrs old my aunt moved in with us and the best way I can describe her is Gwen Stefani in Luxurious. Her lipliner, eyeliner, big hair, everything was so amazing to me.
When I got older I moved to Iowa where all the other hispanic kids were from lower resource families. Being hispanic myself I had trouble being accepted by the other kids and they took me in, with my weird style and everything. While I never attempted to dress or talk like them, I loved their style. I loved how the guys were so picky about the way their jeans were ironed, everything.
My screen name came after one of my classmates started calling me after one of the little Homie figures who he thought I looked like...lol
Now I run with a different crowd, ofcourse, but I will always remember my freshman year, watching Blood In, Blood Out, American Me and Mi Vida Loca!

As far as I know there is difference between Cholas and Chongas.
Cholas are usually Chicanas and take their stuff more seriously.
Chongas tend to be South American/Cuban/P.Rican and are usually more influensed by black culture.
I agree. I live in Miami, and here there's a strong Hip Hop influence in the clothing styles worn by low-class/ghetto Hispanics. I think it's just coincidence that Chongas and Cholas have similar styles. :D

This is by FAR my favorite thread :smile:
c/s

I've been intruiged by cholas for a while now (mainly the make-up). I remember years ago, I was watching 'mtv making the video' with Jennifer Lopez for the 'Get Right' video. and she was sporting a look that she called chola. Out of the characters she played in the video, the chola stood out to me (as well as the diva one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYhPGuOHRj4

Jennifer Chola makes an appearance @ 0:51 and 1:35

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm interested in gang culture fashion.. well actually i just find gang culture to be glamorous in a gritty way.

i would also like to add that i love, love necklaces with crosses. it's so romantic with a touch of toughness because of that gangster association. ive done a pretty tame interpretation of it with a white tshirt (tight wifebeater is too.. hardcore)

Attachments

• Photo 1969.jpg
    Photo 1969.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigsadrn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"