Chonga Style - Chola Style

This girl isn't being serious but her tutorial is hilarious. My favorite part: "It really depend on the lipliner you use. See, I'm using tough *** puta" :lol:

Chola Makeup Tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOOlcdpfLg
:lol:

I grew up in Denver and we have our own special cholas here. The white cholas. They actually do their make up like that girl and go all out. They all look like idiots. I've never seen a latina chola look like that stereotype. They'll have some small bits of it here and there. But that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
omg i just found this thread. i live in miami also and i see chongas all the time lol

I agree. I live in Miami, and here there's a strong Hip Hop influence in the clothing styles worn by low-class/ghetto Hispanics. I think it's just coincidence that Chongas and Cholas have similar styles. :D

Chongas adopted from the Chola culture and Cuban style then branched out onto their own label of chonga. It's kinda a parody of the hard @z$ cholas who are more influenced by old school carhop and pachuco styles.

I love the "movin on up" chongas who have moved to the suburbs and start rocking out Abercrombie chonga style- Prepongas all in their tight american eagle polo with the collar up and hoop earrings with a jean mini skirt and chinese slippers or upgraded to sneakers with fat laces and socks stuffed in them to puff up the tongue. Complete with slick back hair and dooney colored purse (the smallest one cuz a regular sized purse is too much money, they moved up but they aint rich!) stuffed with hair gel, lip liner, powder, colored highlighters or pens to write cute notes and a winnie the pooh lanyard with some keys on it but mostly filled with nonsense- pictures, somethign religious, baby sharpie keychain and strawberry shortcake lil figure cuz it was too cute for chonga to resist adding it.

Haha I love that tutorial as Baby Smilez.

If anyone remembers the British magazine Nova, which had a very short run before folding in the early '00s, one issue had an article which seemed to describe cholas; they were the all-too-real kind, with gang affiliations, not the clubgoing partygirl chongas. It was an interesting read however. Very unglamorous/unaspirational. :lol: If I can find my copy, I'll scan it. No guarantees

Jesus Christ!!! :blink:This got to be the most horrific "style" I've ever seen. :lol:

i always wondered how the cholas got their hair so high. they had great strong mexican hair.

When I lived in Mexico back in 03 I never saw any cholas, maybe because I lived in a small town but even when I went to the state capital which is a big city I never saw any cholas either. On my last recent trip to Mexico, which was in 2008, I did not saw any cholas nor cholos, most of the teens in Mexico dressed pretty teenage... graphic t-shirt, denim jeans, and snakers. Maybe the cholas and cholos are more of a Mexico City thing? Or maybe not even Mexico City, I think they're more of a L.A. and north Mexico thing because those are the areas with the most gang violence.

^ no, the whole chola culture in general never really touched down in Mexico despite popular belief. It started in the Southern states of the US by the descendants of immigrants who lived in very violent areas (hence the aggressive look) and who developed severe identity issues (they couldn't identify themselves as Mexicans but they didn't feel they were Americans either). The 'trend' did expand to Northern Mexico mainly through the people that was deported, who were originally from Southern Mexico (as most immigrants) but stayed in the North with hopes of making it back to the US someday.

I feel funny knowing about this but see, I went to school with a handful of cholas :lol:, they were a strange hybrid of hip-hop culture, latin culture, trailer trash culture..

I would also like to clear up that cholas aren't just Mexicans, there are plenty of Central Americans (the most dangerous imo as they're either related or part of the Mara Salvatrucha gang) and then there are MANY white cholas (Irish descent).. I see them all the time in the south of San Diego, and they're super scary too. :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigsadrn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->