Class Rings

Yasmin

Reaction score
So I just got my class ring (don't congratulate me yet, I got it early and I don't want to jinx it!) and this brings me to consider,

The way they advertise class rings, once you buy one you'll be wearing it day in and day out, forever after. But in reality, most of them are so chunky that they leave much to be desired in terms of adding to your style and I think most people abandon them.

Are there exceptions?? Does anyone here wear their class ring(s)?

And, how wearable do you find mine? Now I chose it in garnet and white gold because I love garnet and wear a lot of white gold. So imagine it was in a stone and setting color you liked, how often would you wear this? I put a simple "3 in 1" band ring beside it to compare the size.

Here is a link to the style, but as you can see in my actual photo, I changed the setting color, stone color and stone cut, (improvements in my opinion) http://www.jostens.com/rings/College/womens/images/300/Tianna_star.jpg
BTW this is a uni class ring. Do people generally assume it's a highschool ring?

Attachments

• classring.JPG
    classring.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 12
As far as class rings go...a lot of people I know don't even get them because for the same price as a class ring you could get a real piece of jewelry. I was considering getting one, one that was a pretty style, but I decided that the money could be better spent.

Class rings are f*cking expensive, they were like 700 at my highschool for nothing but 14k gold (plated I think) and imitation gemstones, how can it be SO expensive, my good friend opted for a silver Tiffany's ring and had it engraved...

I assume class rings are highschool.

Wow-ours are more than half that for the same crap.

Yes, class rings are mostly for high school however some people wait until college. One girl I know is getting a Tiffany's ring for her college ring.

nah i opted not to get a class ring. waiting for college or like trista said, get a real piece of jewelery.

well i think your class rings are quite pretty. i like the right one

my class rings were so tacky that i 'lost' them almost immediately. so i don't wear them. we have the tradition that after sixth grade the class gets one and then after 9th grade it's optional. unfortunately i've got two. and the quality isn't never good. actually in the end, i hate class rings :lol:

I would suggest getting a nice ring from Tiffany or Cartier. My high school ring was $600 and I only wore it for 2 years. I wish I had gotten something from Tiffany instead.

I passed on the whole class ring thing. I think theyre so chunky that theyre hard to ever wear and I dont really see the point... For the same price I could get real piece of jewelry like others have said.

Wow that is soo cool. When I saw this thread I was like cripes that is a bit much -a ring advertising your social class. Then I though you mispelt glass. I wish we had one.

SiennaInLondon said:
Wow that is soo cool. When I saw this thread I was like cripes that is a bit much -a ring advertising your social class. Then I though you mispelt glass. I wish we had one.
Three years after graduation (when Cantabrigian BAs become MAs, no?) you can wear a black and white silk gown though, which is frankly cooler than a ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah with fur round the collar (although no! You actually have to do an MA!). Not quite as easy to wear as a ring (it is only meant for formal ceremonies) and I would rather shoot myself than show any allegiance to that place. I wanted a ring for my school.

Last edited by a moderator:
(although no! You actually have to do an MA!)
Oh really? At Oxford you are upgraded to a 'fake' MA.

(it is only meant for formal ceremonies)
My mum is an academic, so I tell her everytime I see her that she should wear her doctoral gown (crimson cloth shot with grey silk and fur, no less) all the time, just to intimidate the students...

But I digress.

I have the ugliest ring in the world, and its sitting in my drawer. I should pawn it but i know i'll get sh*t for it.

^ Did you pay a lot for it?

I knew I should have gone to Oxford, Prince! Plus our ancient, gargantuan academics sitting in oak panelled rooms with piles of dusty books are intimidating enough. Think something out of Ghormenghast. Where does your mum have her professorship?

No you get the 'fake' MA's at Cambridge as well. All you have to do is wait three years and fill out a piece of paper and pay like £25. I live with and am friends with a big oxbridge group and they all have their MA's (except one, who couldn't be arsed to fill out the form and get his MA and ended up doing a real one).

im so confused as to what a class ring is ?? can some one please explain :smile:

I think a 'class ring' is something worn in America to celebrate graduation (with the class inscribed, eg 'UPenn, Class of 2006').

SiennaInLondon said:
^ Did you pay a lot for it?

I knew I should have gone to Oxford, Prince! Plus our ancient, gargantuan academics sitting in oak panelled rooms with piles of dusty books are intimidating enough. Think something out of Ghormenghast. Where does your mum have her professorship?

Durham. Think cheap imitation of Oxbridge!

Ugh, class rings are such a waste of time and money. No one ever wears their class ring for very long unless they went to Harvard or something.

Seriously, who wants to brag that they graduated from some place like Radford? :lol:

And a high school class ring, IMHO, is kind of redundant....It's like you're trying to 'boast' to the world that you graduated from freaking high school...whoop-de-do....

I got one in high school... wore it for a few months... never wore it again... It's more of a memory piece than an actual piece of jewelry that I'd wear.

Personally I find them incredibly ugly. I also don't understand the big deal of graduating from high school. If you obtained a doctorate from Harvard I would understand it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screenstarmakeup
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->